Holinger Sequential Gearbox...

Simmo

Just emailed them back about 5th and also additional selectors. They're 12 hours ahead of us so as soon as I get a reply i'll punt it up.

Apparently its good for 550bhp with equivalent torque (just awaiting confirmation on this) as the teeth are thicker than the Quaife.

Spoke to a friend who works in a certain WRC team, apparently they de-seam the casing and cryo treat the lot (gearset + shell); the success rate of this is very high and has given them an average of 45% extra longetivity on the box under full load conditions. Shot peening was also used to compress the metal but this was used to provide better oil wells.

Whilst chatting about struts/braces/wraps, he did say that in his early days, he used a similar type brace to Si's one - but the legs were set out in a triangle formation to strengthen against twisting stress.

Last edited:

maz

even if the 5th gear was $750, it would still be a damn site cheaper than a full quaife? and could we not possibly save some courier costs by having it shipped to an AUS contact?

00sid

ive just sent a new casing out to be cryo treated, when it gets back i will be de-seaming it and polishing all the problem areas. im also thinking of fitting a oil cooler system, hopefully this will solve the problems for now.

the ppg syncro kit sounds good and cheapish too, but for people who use there car for drag racing a dog box would be better becauce you can change up without the clutch which saves valuable time..

maz

do tell us how you get on with the oil cooler as that would be excellent, helpfull for day to day driving and track :)

O

Odin

maz said:
do tell us how you get on with the oil cooler as that would be excellent, helpfull for day to day driving and track :)

I had my gearbox plumbed for an oil cooler when I had it rebuilt ;-) , Was a very cheap mod indeed all I need now is to buy and fit the cooler and pipe work :-D .

I haven't got around to it yet but it shouldn't be to hard to get everything fitted and working ok.

Rob

maz

i was speaking to abyss who mentioned he has a mate who could make one up, similier to oil coolers used on the automatic transmissions...i would love one as i find after an hour or less driving, my gearbox just gets stiff as hell. pull over for 20 minutes and its back to normal :/

keep us updated Rob eh? :)

O

Odin

maz said:
i was speaking to abyss who mentioned he has a mate who could make one up, similier to oil coolers used on the automatic transmissions...i would love one as i find after an hour or less driving, my gearbox just gets stiff as hell. pull over for 20 minutes and its back to normal :/

keep us updated Rob eh? :)

I think you could knock up a full kit for about £300 at most, depending on what pump you used........ Demon tweeks have two listed one is about £170 the other over £300 :shock: , The cooler and pipe work shouldn't cost to much.

Rob

Simmo

Mark @ PPG came back.

He confirmed that they have had customers putting 600bhp through the gearset without problems, so that should comfort most of us (Rishi excluded as he is chucking another 100 odd at it!)

Two downsides: PPG dont make a 5th for some reason, they only make the 3/4 selector fork. Im thinking the other forks (new oe from Nissan) are ok as is the final drive from a standard box?

Cheers, Andy

nismoboy

Simmo said:
Mark @ PPG came back.

He confirmed that they have had customers putting 600bhp through the gearset without problems, so that should comfort most of us (Rishi excluded as he is chucking another 100 odd at it!)

Two downsides: PPG dont make a 5th for some reason, they only make the 3/4 selector fork. Im thinking the other forks (new oe from Nissan) are ok as is the final drive from a standard box?

Cheers, Andy

i cant see the standard 5th gear being ok have u seen it? its looks very brittle to say the least. Does the quaife come with an uprated 5th?

nismoboy

maz said:
...i would love one as i find after an hour or less driving, my gearbox just gets stiff as hell. pull over for 20 minutes and its back to normal :/

QUOTE]

Mine gearbox is the complete opposit its feels stiff till its warmed up then fine after that, this is how i would of thought it should be due to the oil thinning with heat. Cant see why yours would stiffen once warm??

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Ok ok ok!..

First off, if your gearchange feels fine at first and then becomes hard after a few mins driving then review the oil you are using... 75W/90 or the MT90 should be what you're looking at...

Yes the Quaife 5th gear is uprated...

Think you'll find the reason that PPG don't bother with the 5th gear is that no one really uses it as all you need on the track is 1st to 4th... Having a Quaife 5th woul be nice as its quieter for the motorway drives...

But i would like to know if you can integrate the PPG 1st to 4th in with the Quaife 5th...

Will be finding that one out shortly sometime soon...

Rishi

Last edited:
O

Odin

nismoboy said:
i cant see the standard 5th gear being ok have u seen it? its looks very brittle to say the least. Does the quaife come with an uprated 5th?

Yes mate but its the same as the standard ratio unlike the other 4 gears which are a little closer together, But it is and uprated stronger gear like the other 4.

Rob

maz

nismoboy said:
Mine gearbox is the complete opposit its feels stiff till its warmed up then fine after that, this is how i would of thought it should be due to the oil thinning with heat. Cant see why yours would stiffen once warm??
well it could be my oils dodgy, or it could be the fact i have bits of my sheered 5th floating around inside the box :D

im liking where this thread is going, looks like we are getting some where!

abyss

Why doesn't everyone chip in to make up the 15k to by the steel casts. If people are serious about running bigger power in future then its the way forward for the gtir, and why not get the modifiers site to chip in makes perfect sense. Can't see the brace working as the metal they use on the gtir box is shite to put it simply. The material needs to be of a better compound. Bracing will prolong the life of the box but for the long term a casing with new materials used is the way frward.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
abyss said:
Why doesn't everyone chip in to make up the 15k to by the steel casts. If people are serious about running bigger power in future then its the way forward for the gtir, and why not get the modifiers site to chip in makes perfect sense. Can't see the brace working as the metal they use on the gtir box is shite to put it simply. The material needs to be of a better compound. Bracing will prolong the life of the box but for the long term a casing with new materials used is the way frward.
Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

The problem is though, is who's car gets the prototype.

What we need is an experimental car owned by the club or a race/drag/sprint/hill climb team.

Steve

bopper

so is the 15k for a mould, we need to find out how much a box would cost after the mould was made then spilt the cost of the mould bewteen people who are actually seroius about this. its easy to say yer i want one but this is alot of money for anyone. So basically how much will a box cost after the 15k mould was made?

abyss

stevepudney said:
Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

The problem is though, is who's car gets the prototype.

What we need is an experimental car owned by the club or a race/drag/sprint/hill climb team.

Steve
It would have to be the car with the big bhp and torque to test it or a car taken and launch about 10,000 times to see if there's any damage. i agree that not everyone will be serious but like myself in about 2 years i want to run big power and i cant be arsed with worrying about the gearbox breaking, if everyone chipped in 100 quid then thats a start, i mean most spend that on petrol in about a week. even on a standard car i would want to upgrade to take away the doubts over the durability of the box.

Last edited: