Simmo said:
So, a good solution for daily driving would be:

- Straight cut synchro gearset from PPG or Quaife
- Si's custom bracing or similar
- De-Seaming/Peening the casing
- Finding a way to reduce preload on the input shaft

Does this sound about right?

The way I understand it is:

If you want a reliable transmission in a GTiR running over 350 - 400 break you would be advised to get your gearbox rebuilt using a normal Quaife gearset but have gears 1 & 2 straight cut and if you really wanted to go mad the you could get the case Cryo treated.

Gears 1 & 2 being straight cut will relieve the preload on the input shaft and so reducing the need to use a case brace.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
stevepudney said:
The way I understand it is:

If you want a reliable transmission in a GTiR running over 350 - 400 break you would be advised to get your gearbox rebuilt using a normal Quaife gearset but have gears 1 & 2 straight cut and if you really wanted to go mad the you could get the case Cryo treated.

Gears 1 & 2 being straight cut will relieve the preload on the input shaft and so reducing the need to use a case brace.

See i spoke to Quaife about this a while back and they just told me that their exaisting 1st and 2nd straight cut gears wouldn't work with the normal Helical Quaife... Not to sure why not but i may call Bernie tomorrow to see what the score is and to see if it can be done...

Rishi

Simmo

Would it be a lot more to go straight cut with a synchro on all of the gears? Might alleviate pretty much all preload?

Also, forgive me for sounding completely stupid but would the only difference to driving a straight cut synchro box be the noise - i.e. you wouldnt have to drive the car like you would if you had a dog box?

GINGA

Yes, if a straight cut full synchro box was available, then it would only be the noise that would be a issue, some may think the noise would be pretty cool at first, but it would soon become tiring if being used as a road car.

GINGA

RishiGTiR said:
See i spoke to Quaife about this a while back and they just told me that their exaisting 1st and 2nd straight cut gears wouldn't work with the normal Helical Quaife... Not to sure why not but i may call Bernie tomorrow to see what the score is and to see if it can be done...

Rishi
Their existing straight cut dog engagement gears probably won't fit as using a dog engagement allows the gears to be thicker all through the box, so would probably be to wide to use with the standard gear set, hence a custom set would need to be made.

GINGA

maz said:
loud enough to hear over a 5" goose?
Yes, think full on rally car loud. For a track or weekend fun car it shouldn't be a problem but for mainly road use you'd need to be made of stern stuff to put up with it.

Last edited:

j10gtr

Not sure but isnt 1st Input gear part of the input shaft and not a seperate gear?

It would explain why the straight gears would be interchangeable perhaps.

Thanks
Paul

T

tro||

you only have a seperate 3rd, 4th, 5th input gear,

1st and 2nd use part of the input shaft, maybe thats the problem with the quaiffe

you can do 1/2 straight cut with the par though

Last edited by a moderator:

Rishi

ashills said:
2nd gear is built onto shaft
So can we not just use a new shaft for the 1st and 2nd straight cut gears...?

Think i need to speak to Quaife about it... Will try and call on Monday at some point and see what they say...

Rishi

ashills

i think ud be better talking to bernie as he actually is interested in talking to people where quiaffe are more interested in making money
i asked if it was possible to upgrade bearings in teh quaiffe set i had they just said no not interested kit is designed as it is any problems talk to bernie if it wa shim that fitted it originally

Rishi

ashills said:
i think ud be better talking to bernie as he actually is interested in talking to people where quiaffe are more interested in making money
i asked if it was possible to upgrade bearings in teh quaiffe set i had they just said no not interested kit is designed as it is any problems talk to bernie if it wa shim that fitted it originally

Noted... I'll have a chat with the Gearboxman himself tomorrow...

Rishi

Rishi

Spoke to Gearboxman Bernie today…

First off… You cannot integrate the 1st and 2nd straight cut gears into the helically cut Quaife setup… Its just completely different…

The Quaife dog box hasn’t been made for sometime but was originally built for either Dome or TRUST JP…

As for the casing itself… Bernie hasn’t had the opportunity to really postmortem a gearbox with a Blown Casing… He did say that the ones he’d seen were from cars that managed to blow them from the likes of pulling out of junctions and things like that… Also that they were all using the OS Giken… Another thing he said was that he wasn’t completely sure it was the helically cut gears that was the problem… He said that it could be to do with the way the casing is actually fitted… Also that its breaking where 5th gear is and not 1st… 1st is at the engine side whereas 5th is at the end of the casing where its breaking although in theory it is possible that 1st gear launch could cause the casing damage…

But without being able to properly have a look he says that he knows just as much as man in pub…

So with that could someone please post up some pics of broken casings… One from Darrens car and any from Mo Jamal’s car as his was broken on 1st gear launch so that i can send them to Bernie as he has kindly offered to help...

Rishi

Dooie Pop Pop

why didn' t you just look for the thread in the news section;-) the vid of it happening is on page 5 iirc

clicky

i didn' t dive straight in for underbonnet pictures, seeing a £3000 box go pop is not nice! after that it was all about the freezing weather and i ran out of memory stick doing the vids:doh:

T

tro||

RishiGTiR said:
Also that its breaking where 5th gear is and not 1st… 1st is at the engine side whereas 5th is at the end of the casing where its breaking although in theory it is possible that 1st gear launch could cause the casing damage…
the helical cut of the main gears transfers loads towards the end of the box, i'd imagine thats why that end pops, wouldn't matter what gear you were in, the loads are still transfering the same way down the shaft