Holinger Sequential Gearbox...

T

tro||

this thread was going quite well until someone mentioned chipping in together to get 15k :lol: i dont ever see 150 people queing up to bung their £100 in so 'someone gets a custom gear casing :der:

nice idea, but realistically you've got as much chance of that happening as you have of getting a w&nk off the pope :bolt:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
tro|| said:
this thread was going quite well until someone mentioned chipping in together to get 15k :lol: i dont ever see 150 people queing up to bung their £100 in so 'someone gets a custom gear casing :der:

nice idea, but realistically you've got as much chance of that happening as you have of getting a w&nk off the pope :bolt:
Which is why I suggested a dedicated Race team collectively owning the car and getting sponsorship, so all the development costs are largely paid for.
As it's not just the gearbox that would need sorting for big power, you would have to consider a proper fuel system, decent brakes, chassis strengthening, e.t.c. e.t.c. basically all the things we all are trying to sort out but not on the the limited budget that most of us are restricted by.
Then once the development is sorted, any moulds made and finalised e.t.c. it makes it that much more financially viable for anyone else that wants to do the same thing as a large proportion of the costs have been paid for.

Last edited:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
But then again thier isn't enough dedication and money in the whole club just to buy a car to start with let alone a smaller team of people. Plus we don't have enough people in the club that all get on enough to form any sort of a team.

So bollox to that idea.

Think I'll just go make a new case out of plastersine or Play Dough or something, that should do it, it would be stronger that what we have to use now anyway.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
What would be nice is for someone like Mines or HKS to make there Pulsar equivalent to the Mines Skyline.

kirko

i would be happy to pay £250 towards development of new parts such as gearbox casing, carbon panels etc. but i doubt you will find enough people in total to commit to anything as most people on forums just type the talk but dont walk it,
its a great idea and it would be very beneficial to the serious people out there so i will start the list;-)

kirko

SickBoy

The other problem is you will be limited to a small number of people who want to run the sort of power that warents this box. Most people will only be goin for power that a quaife will happily handle.

But as people say once it is in production and people can just buy one off the shelf , i think more people will go for the bigger power.

You will never get enough comitment to do it yourselves , you will have to find a company to do the donkey work untill you have a proven product.

The only way i can see this going ahead is if you get a list of definates that you can say all put up 1K deposit. Then go to the company and say we want this many of these if you build one heres our deposit , returnable if it turns out to be sh*t

Just my thoughts

Lee

kirko

SickBoy said:
The other problem is you will be limited to a small number of people who want to run the sort of power that warents this box. Most people will only be goin for power that a quaife will happily handle.

But as people say once it is in production and people can just buy one off the shelf , i think more people will go for the bigger power.

You will never get enough comitment to do it yourselves , you will have to find a company to do the donkey work untill you have a proven product.

The only way i can see this going ahead is if you get a list of definates that you can say all put up 1K deposit. Then go to the company and say we want this many of these if you build one heres our deposit , returnable if it turns out to be sh*t

Just my thoughts

Lee

the thing is companies quite rightly dont trust people because so many people say yeah i will have one then when it comes to paying they back down and make excuses,
w*nkers

SickBoy

Well that would be they joy about getting 1K from all interested . Then you cough up the money to the comany to make it and they then know how many initial orders there will be.
Then if anyone backs out they lose thier 1K in from the start, in till the end

Lee

nismoboy

All this hassle just so u can launch your pulsar hard, why not change your driving style and stop launching this way a quaiffe gearset in standard housing will be fine, Dont get me wrong it would great to do a 6k launch at every set of traffic lights and go to pod every sunday and give it death but as it is there is no transmission available for the pulsar thats going to take that kind of abuse unless u want a full dogbox.

ashills

its not a fact of changing driving style the people who will need this box sorting need it for the car to be used how they want/need it to

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's for people who want to go drag racing mainly. You can lose 1sec off your time at the start easily. If you're not tyring, there no point in going and getting beaten off the line by a granny in a saxo for example.

T

tro||

nismoboy said:
there is no transmission available for the pulsar thats going to take that kind of abuse unless u want a full dogbox.
a dogbox relates to the engagement of the gears, nothing else.

you could have helical dog, straight cut dog, helical dog would obviously be pointless as the cut on the gears is still loading up the end of the casing.

straight cut gears, whether they be on a synchro or dog is the answer to split casings, none of the loads are transfered down the shaft.

ppg do straight cut synchro or dog, as do par, as do modena..theres a few options

abyss

Well if you can't launch the car hard then whats the point in racing it at a drag strip defeats the purpose, you brace the end casing you get a split bell housing its a catch 22.

T

tro||

/\/\/\

bit slow on the uptake some of you lot aint you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cmng

well that the issue
everybody keep sorting out the issue
and a big chunk of $$ need to settle it

that why at japan all GTiR owner move to GTR straight away
less hassle for higher hp

O

Odin

cmg said:
well that the issue
everybody keep sorting out the issue
and a big chunk of $$ need to settle it

that why at japan all GTiR owner move to GTR straight away
less hassle for higher hp
Wimps :roll: We are made of sterner stuff over here :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob