Holinger Sequential Gearbox...

Dooie Pop Pop

tro|| said:
all this talk about evoboxes on a gtir is very good but i doubt it will ever happen. Fitting a different inline box to a different engine is one thing, you've only got to line up the input shaft and make an adaptor, obviously easier said than done, but far less involved than with our set up

To try to fit a whole different 4wd drive system, first off the gearbox has obviously got to go on and line up, then you''ve got to get the transfer box on, then the driveshafts have got to actually fit in the right place and match the hubs, then the prop, then the rear diff is probably going to have to be changed aswell, then the rear shafts, then theres the fact the evo box is cable operated, you might aswell chuck the engine in tbh then you've only got to change mounts and abit of wiring..lol

a nice idea but i dont ever see it happening
who the **** gave you a bad reputation point? your one of the few helpfull people on here lol.

someone remind me....how much was the NME gearcasing again???

ashills

at least if u stuck the whole evo thing in you would have a decent engine and a strong box hehehehehe

T

tro||

Dooie Pop Pop said:
who the **** gave you a bad reputation point? your one of the few helpfull people on here lol.
obviously some crybaby with no sense of humour :der: :lol:

T

tro||

ashills said:
at least if u stuck the whole evo thing in you would have a decent engine
technically you'd be down grading by fitting the engine, standard for standard the gtir is superior in many ways :fight2:

MarkTurbo

tro|| said:
Dooie pop pop said:
obviously some crybaby with no sense of humour :der: :lol:
That narrows it down to a few hundred people then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Dooie Pop Pop said:

someone remind me....how much was the NME gearcasing again???

The Magnesium NISMO Casing was quoted at £65k...

I'm going to stick with the Quaife... Its not really been broken by anyone yet... its just the casing and i'm having a brace made up when the person making it gets some time... lol

Simmo... If you are aiming at 600Nm (422lb.ft) then you will be fine with the standard casing and a single plate paddle clutch...

It comes down to how the energy is released... If you use road tyres drop the pressures and launch you will find that the you will spin the wheels before the input shaft excerts enough pressure on the casing to break it (point of failure)

Now use some A048 or R888... Because of the extra grip more engergy is needed before the wheels will spin and so this means that the pressure excerted (load build up) by the input shaft is greater as it takes more energy before the wheels spin or the car actually moves and thus naturally releasing the energy... In short energy build up in the box is past the point of failure for the casing...

So we need to find a way to increase the tolerance of the casing...

- One way to do this is a simple brace... 00sid has proven this to an extent on his car...

- Something else to consider is to reduce the preload on the inputshaft slightly when building the box up...

- Another solution is to use straight cut 1st and 2nd gears which would stop the input shaft being forced through the casing under heavy loads...

There is no point looking at EVO boxes and heading down that route when we haven't even let the gearbox brace prove itself... And so far its doing a pretty good job...

Hope that helps people have a real understanding to the problem...

Rishi

Last edited:

maz

nicely explained rishi. how much is it for your standard casing these days? because if thats the only problem then id get the straight cut 1st and 2nd, get the case braced and when the time comes for the case to break, (hopefull after several months of road driving and the odd track day) then i would just replace it again. if it wasnt too much $$

stumo

I'm going to fit a Skyline gearbox, cos their technology is better than ours, do you think the police will arrest me for having a gearbox sticking out of the side of the car? (by about three foot)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
stumo said:
I'm going to fit a Skyline gearbox, cos their technology is better than ours, do you think the police will arrest me for having a gearbox sticking out of the side of the car? (by about three foot)
I don't think the gearbox will be the problem. It will be the propshaft and rear axle that's attatched to it:doh:

T

tro||

the whole problem is with the cut of the helical gears and the shit design of the casing, si's box currently has a leak which he's hoping is the seals but may not be, it may be broke at the secondary shaft bearing at the bell housing end, its happened before, the brace may have sorted the casing blowing apart but something has to give, he wont know until its off...lets hope it hasn't cracked into the bellhousing

straight cut gears are the way to go imho, whether synchro or not. You have no loadings along the shaft, thus no stress on the case, we will see very soon whether its solves the problem with the case or not.

i hope it does, as transmission probems are what holds the gtir back, theres enough people around now with the money or dedication to stick with the car and see it do it well so sorting the box would be the key to the car doing really well :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tro||

maz said:
so whats the draw back of straight cuts? more difficult to drive day to day?
straight cut synchro it will just be the noise, imagine driving around in reverse gear all day.

dogbox is the wear on the dog rings, do you want to rebuild your £3k gearbox in 25000 miles ?

dogbox is not worth the hassle on the road, for the strip or track the time saved is worth its weight in gold :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
tro|| said:
dogbox is the wear on the dog rings, do you want to rebuild your £3k gearbox in 250000 miles ?
250 000 miles:shock: I'd never have to rebuild it again at that rate:thumbsup:

(even 25 000 miles would take me around 5 years:oops: )

GINGA

RishiGTiR said:
1/2 Dog Box is the way to go... Just not a PAR one!...

Rishi
Agreed, 1/2 dog straight cut 1st and 2nd gear with the rest helical would be livable day to day or a full synchro box with straight cut 1st and 2nd gear being the best option for street use.
Jack knight or quaife maybe able to make up a new straight cut 1st/2nd gear to work with the original quaife gear kit for a half reasonable price?

Simmo

So, a good solution for daily driving would be:

- Straight cut synchro gearset from PPG or Quaife
- Si's custom bracing or similar
- De-Seaming/Peening the casing
- Finding a way to reduce preload on the input shaft

Does this sound about right?

j10gtr

More to the point will any of the manufacturers be giving a warranty on there parts or will it be the good old "its for motorsport use so there is no warranty"

Thanks
Paul