Bens Engine Rebuild

skiddusmarkus

Update on my running in as i've done just over 100 miles now. First start up was done tuesday after cranking the car for around a minute until the oil pressure was up, i let it run upto temperature then switched off as i had to get the radiator sorted out :doh: Last night started the car and let it warm up again then straight out for a drive. As soon as i hit the main road it had 1.1 bar boost and 4000rpm (this is after being driven less than 2 miles :lol:) did another 5 or 6 miles with quite a few pulls from 2000-4000rpm with varying loads on the engine.

Drove the car to work today to get some more miles on it, after around another 75 miles i've upped the boost to 1.5 bar and taken it to 5000rpm a couple times. I'll be driving it to work again today then changing the oil later on and then i'll be redlining it :twisted: Should have around 200 miles on it by that point ;-)

Just got in from bedding the new brake pads in, there was a lovely burning smell coming from them when i parked it up just now :lol:
I based my run in on that online guide too, but I just left the turbo at wasetgate pressure of 1 bar.Not tested the compression for a while but last time I did it was around 12bar at each pot on a cold engine.Not sure how much that would go up on a warm one.

stumo

Yeah, not really practical when buying it from a P.O. without spending a lot of money on installing printers capable of doing tax discs.They could do it it at DVLA though so useful for people like me who renew online.
The tax discs would already be printed, all the PO would have to do is print the reg no and date paid etc which can be done on almost any printer .

bensmith907

Compression test results after the first time it was run were 182, 180, 180, 176. I'll do another one in a day or two. I've been running it in on mineral oil and was going to put some decent oil in it tomorrow when i change it but apparently changing to fully synthetic too early isn't good for the rings so will probably put some more mineral oil in for a few hundred more miles.
I'm using the millers running in oil. £20 a tin from opie. There won't be any problems with that and the turbo will there?

bensmith907

Excuse my ignorance but if I'm intending on eventually running 1.2 bar am I going to need an uprated turbo actuator. I'm planning on bedding in at 0.7bar then 500 miles @ 1bar on the standard ECU then 1.2bar on the MINES ECU

Tia

bensmith907

Nice! Heads back tomorrow hopefuly! Time to crack on and get the thing in

Aswell as the engine change I'm replacing

Engine mounts (still standard)
Turbo (standard)
Thermostat
Water temp sensor (red one)
FWD Transfer box
Turbo elbow (still standard)
Exhaust flexipipe
And replacing my oil feed line with a braided one

Hopefully with a bit of luck this week I'm going to knock a large chunk off my list of faults with the car so I'm pretty excited:-D

bensmith907

Fair one! I ment forward diff:) (transfer box)

Ha ha! Doesn't everyone have two transfer boxes! Maybe that's half my problems

Last edited:

bensmith907

Right may someone please post a picture of a cosworth head gasket as I'm looking at mine and only #4 cylinder has large holes for the water jacket and 1,2and 3 only have small holes. it just doesn't look right to me

bensmith907

Don't panic! I've just pulled out my old head gasket from the scrap bin and its the same! Answers on a postcard- why do that?

wrc

To hold of the water flow so it can cool the block efficiently? This reducing hotspots etc?

red reading

that is the correct direction for the water flow through the head, those holes are for the water to come down into the block not up into the head.

bensmith907

Nice touch on the head gasket there from cosworth shame I had to butcher that end with tin snips to make space for the alternator bracket

Old engine is out and I'm half way through dressing the new one