Raising the compression?

ashills

thats what i was saying the syncro kit is helical cut the straight cut kit is dog engagement
either way get the selector forks

00sid and rishi are the only guys running these in a working car so far and both cars arent on again now
a few other cars are still being built with them at the minute

Last edited:

MINESGTIR

the straight cut is NOT dog engagement !! kev please clear this up ?

dog = no clutch.
straight cut = whining

semi helical = normal quiet gears ?

im buying a straight cut NON dog engagement ?
or so i think ! AHHHH!!!

ashills

fair enough good luck will be the perfect gearbox might be worth getting the straight cut final drive aswell

P

pulsarboby

gotta say that i also thought straight cut gears were dog engagement
and semi helical were whining, as in mini whine lol.
also thought that you still used clutch with dogbox, but only going back up the box!!!!!

ashills

yeah u can get straight cut gears with either dog engagement or syncro'd
but ive only ever heard of ppg doing a straight cut gearset for the gtir with dog engagement
par do a straight cut syncro box as andy chan has it but thats a nightmare cause par stuff is wan k (sorry andy)
ppg do a straight cut syncro box for the scooby's and they are brilliant and as theres a 10000000000 scoobys it was worth there time to build it lol

Mr GTiR

ashills said:
par do a straight cut syncro box as andy chan has it but thats a nightmare cause par stuff is wan k (sorry andy)
Yeah I know but it will get sorted once and for all after The New Year 8)

Just might have to order a new 4th gear from PAR :doh:

Also Allen, thanks for pointing that out :roll:

Last edited:

Keira

pulsarboby said:
also thought that you still used clutch with dogbox, but only going back up the box!!!!!
you use the clutch to pull away.....after that your left foot gets bored, unless you go round corners and can drive properly :lol:

MINESGTIR

so i need to check this as i want striaght cut NON DOG engagement.

If i had to go for DOG engagement i would be still caught using the clutch and not overly impressed ill ruin it if i change slowly !

LOU ROB

When I was looking at ppg dog boxes a couple of years ago, they did make a straight cut synchro engaged kit. A couple of lads down under have them installed in their cars.
Whether they still produce them is another matter.

MINESGTIR

Yep, all cleared with kev, ill be buying a straight cut syncho engagement gearset plus 3/4 selector fork.

Cant wait to get it all sorted... just waiting for the call back saying the money is all good ;-)

Kev@Apex

ALL PPG gearsets for the Pulsar are STRAIGHT CUT

You can have either DOG or SYNCRO as is your wish

Dog is no clutch, Syncro is like standard.

Helical is like standard, Straight cut gears whine.

Theres info on my site here
www.apexperformance.co.uk/ppg
and here
www.ppgearbox.com.au

The Austrailian site aslo has some funky flash stuff to show you how stuff works

KevD said:
The listing I have is below, the PPG listing states helical if it is - I'll double check but I'm pretty sure they only list a striaght cut gear for the GTiR

Nissan N14 GTiR (Final Drive) £1,075.21
Nissan N14 GTiR 1/2 (dog box) £1,710.56
Nissan N14 GTiR 3/4 (dog box) £1,392.89
Nissan N14 GTiR 5th (dog box) £995.80
Nissan N14 GTiR 1-5 (dog box) £3,854.84
Nissan N14 GTiR 1/2 (syncro) £1,445.83
Nissan N14 GTiR 3rd (syncro) £519.29
Nissan N14 GTiR 4th (syncro) £519.29
Nissan N14 GTiR 3/4 billet selector fork £333.98
Straight Cut Gearset
The Straight Cut gear design incorporating our PPG distinctive tooth profile provides even more strength than our already ultra reliable helically cut gearsets. One of our more popular items ... the Subaru WRX straight cut set can be found in vehicles with over 600hp. A far cry from the standard power output from factory and certainly a power level that needs a gear box of phenomenal strength to get power to the ground without failure.
Straight cut gearsets are relatively noisy in operation and have an inherent whine to them. This is due to the meshing of the teeth when the gears are rotating.
The meshing of straight cut teeth gives total contact along the tooth at all times which gives the straight cut tooth its added strength over the helically cut tooth .​

Helically Cut Gearset
PPG helically cut gearsets are our most popular product. Mainly used to transmit extreme power to the road in highly modified street cars. They are usually purchased by those wanting less gear noise than a Straight Cut gearset. Our Helical sets do produce slightly more gear noise than a standard factory gearset as a result of a purely motor sport based gear design which makes necessary compromises in regards to gear noise, to achieve uncompromised strength.

Synchromesh Engagement (Synchro ‘box)
PPG Synchromesh Gearsets enable factory style gear selection to be incorporated into your Helical or Straight Cut Gearbox. The Synchro’ Box is mainly used for street applications. At PPG we make the Synchromesh rings and hubs considerably stronger than factory components and incorporate our high quality materials and heat treating processes into the finished product ensuring durability you can rely upon for years to come.

Dog Engagement (Dog ‘box)
Essentially a “race only” style of gear engagement, this has become more and more popular for highly modified street cars. Dog Engagement gear selection is available on either Helical or Straight cut PPG Gearsets for a variety of applications. And a combination of Dog and Synchro’ is available on our Subaru sets.
Providing fast, positive gear selection, with or without the use of clutch. The PPG Dog Engagement gear sets are undoubtedly the strongest and most “user friendly” on the market. However it should be pointed out that Dog Engagement Gearsets require fast, firm gear selection and are quite noisy on each gear change

Last edited:

turbodaily

what design gears do the quaiffe non s/c use? are they semi helical, as theyre pretty whiney aswell?? ashills is that what your running?

MINESGTIR

The Quaife is semi-helical synchromesh. still slightly louder then the original gearset but not near as loud as the straight cut,.

for £1900 i could get the quaife semi-helical gearset but im willing to pay £2800 for the Straight cut gearset from PPG.

The PAR idea ive mentioned before has gone outta the window as all i keep hearing is "not so good" reviews.......

PPG it is !

The box will be built by a very good friend who knows what he is doing. he has build 3 GTIR boxes and assembled his straight cut dog box for his mini too so he is very clued up and trustworthy !

turbodaily

yeah hiteq do the quaiffe gearset for £1650 but not sure if thats inc vat or not..

there does seem to be alot of negative comments about ppg on the forum :?

MINESGTIR

not PPG but a lot of negative for PAR..

PPG are as good if not better than Quaife, i have to go to PPG for straight cut as PAR isnt upto PAR !!! :)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
turbodaily said:
yeah hiteq do the quaiffe gearset for £1650 but not sure if thats inc vat or not..

there does seem to be alot of negative comments about ppg on the forum :?
£1695 + VAT for the Quaife..

Where have you heard negative comments about the PPG??