CFX Carbon/Kevlar GTI-R bonnets.

B

Bream

Hi GTI-R OC,

Firstly I'd like to introduce myself and my company CFX Bodywerks UK Ltd, I'm the sole Director and responsible for CarbonfibreFX Bodywerks products into the UK and Europe.

It's a really exciting time for me and CFXBodywerksUK, basically we're working very hard to enter the UK and Europe, as our manufacturing is done in Canada and up till now our customer base has been here or the USA.

The parent company CarbonfibreFX Bodywerks in Canada have a fantastic reputation for quality and excellence at a competitive price. The final products really are the best about, a very high standard of work with a perfect finish and fit. Myself and the team are genuine petrol heads with a true passion for cars, so it really shows on our products and they way we deal with customers. See a sample of our products on our re-launched web-site www.carbonfibrefx.com , it’s not fully finished but it gives you a little insight to what we’re all about.

Secondly, I'd like to offer members a special introductory offer, by way of a group buy for Carbon Fibre or Carbon Kevlar bonnets. Our bonnet would be made from an OEM bonnet shipped over to Canada, this I already have arranged with a local friend who has a nicely modified GTI-R. The mould process would take about 4 weeks before actual products would be produced and we’d post up regular progress reports. We’ve just about finished the Mitsubishi EVO 5 & 6 bonnet done through a similar arrangement with the Mitsubishi Lancer Register MLR and worked really well. Although price wouldn’t be finalised until the OEM bonnet arrived in Canada is would be great value, probably around the £350 mark for a base Carbon Fibre bonnet with clear inside, the Kevlar version would be a little more as it’s a superior material. The members would then need to allow an amount for shipping, VAT/duty & delivery which would probably be around the £150 mark, again this would only be finalised if/when confirmed and we had a fixed amount of orders. We’d also ideally need a minimum of 10 orders before the mould would be produced, this is preferable to share the mould cost between orders and our facility, and reduce the shipping rates to give you guys the best deal.

This is the MLR thread http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36139

and these are the pictures of my CFX EVO bonnet in red kevlar:

Please don't hesitate in contacting me if you have any questions etc.

Post a reply in you’d be interested :D

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Jeff Stokes 8)

CFXBodywerksUK
carbonfibrefx.com
07966 029140

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Hi there,

I'm very interested in the Carbon Fibre bonnet... Are you able to make one up without the bonnet scoop but instead with bonnet vents like with the EVO bonnet... There are a lot of us using Front Mount Intercoolers and so are more interested in venting out heat rather than scooping air in...

Thanks,

Rishi

R

robinsongtir

any chance of making a few bonnets without the bulge just as a flat bonnet with the side vents only I am sure there would be enough people intrested especially with the amount of front mounted intercoolered cars now

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
This is a very elusive :evil: alternative we have.

It also has 2 smaller vents at the rear which aren't so easy to see in that picture. I'd have preferred an evo style vent as it would let more air out from under the bonnet and reduce drag.

C

Crazy

I would defo be interested in a bonnet without the bulge just as a flat bonnet with the side vents 8)

B

Bream

Ok guys, this looks promising, so far I see 2 patterns emerging, 1 for a direct OEM copy and the other for a none bulge flat option possibly with EVO type venting.

Just thinking out loud here, it would be more cost effective for everyone if we just had one mould. I have spoken in detail to my good friend with his GTI-R and his preference was to keep the bulge even though he has a big front mount. Delete the 2 side vents, keeping the bulge but incorporating it into the bonnet so no plastic insert, then keeping four slots in the front as I understand the hot air will be directed down the back of the engine as originally designed?

What do you guys think of this option?

Regards,

Jeff 8)

JU5TY

Me personally I am defiantly after a totally standard Carbon Bonnet, I couldn’t loose the snout, as that’s the R’s trade mark!
I do have a front mount, but will block off the main vent using high temperature lexan transparent plastic.
Would it cost too much to make the bonnet in the original style with inserts, I.e. main vent and two side vents, as I feel this would look better?

G

GTI-R Kid

The 2 side vents are to help expell the hot air from under the bonnet so i doubt getting rid of them would be a good idea as you're then left with the problem of trying to force the same amount of heated air out a smaller path.

OEM style would probably be better. But thats just my opinion on it. :wink:

Edited to add: the alternative (elusive) bonnet above posted by Fast Guy actually has 4 vents to expell heat.

S

Sirnixalot

well...Canada is a helluvalot closer to me than the UK :D. Possible for me to get one shipped directly from Canada?
I would preffer a replica of the standard bonnet with the side vents as they are functional. If you have to just make the hole/bolt pattern so we can mount back the standard side vents.

B

Bream

Sirnixalot said:
well...Canada is a helluvalot closer to me than the UK :D. Possible for me to get one shipped directly from Canada?
I would preffer a replica of the standard bonnet with the side vents as they are functional. If you have to just make the hole/bolt pattern so we can mount back the standard side vents.
Absolutely :wink:

Ok, some good ideas & options here :)

We could definately make a direct OEM replacement bonnet and you would refit your OEM 2x side vents and bulge. The other guys who don't want the bulge we could make up a replacement piece which fits in the bulge's place but expells air like the EVO vent.

How does that sound?

C

Crazy

Nah mate :( I personally would like a standard bonnet with just the 2 side vents 8) but if there is not enough interest in a bonnet like this I would like a Carbon GTiR bonnet which is exactley the same as the standard GTiR bonnet with all the same vents.

Forget the evo vent thing :twisted: we drive Pulsars not EVO'S :twisted:

JU5TY

CFX UK said:
We could definately make a direct OEM replacement bonnet and you would refit your OEM 2x side vents and bulge. The other guys who don't want the bulge we could make up a replacement piece which fits in the bulge's place but expells air like the EVO vent.
That sounds good, but is it to much work to make the 3 vents out of carbon rather than using the OEM ones? If it was the case we had to use the OEM ones I think I would get them painted a very dark grey...

Also is there more info on how the bonnet is made? Ie standard catch, place for a bonnet stay, is it 100% carbon or on a fibre glass base...etc etc

Edited to say:
Thinking about it, Im very interested in a OEM Kevlar bonnet... How much more £'s are we talking? Think the red in the Kevlar weave would look good on a black car. Would you have to get 10 people wanting Kevlar, or could you use the same mould?

B

Bream

JU5TY said:
That sounds good, but is it to much work to make the 3 vents out of carbon rather than using the OEM ones? If it was the case we had to use the OEM ones I think I would get them painted a very dark grey...

Also is there more info on how the bonnet is made? Ie standard catch, place for a bonnet stay, is it 100% carbon or on a fibre glass base...etc etc

Edited to say:
Thinking about it, Im very interested in a OEM Kevlar bonnet... How much more £'s are we talking? Think the red in the Kevlar weave would look good on a black car. Would you have to get 10 people wanting Kevlar, or could you use the same mould?
Ok, we could possible make the 3 vents out of carbon but multiple louvers are quite tricky to produce in carbon and might make it too expensive. It might work out that the 3 vents cost the same as the bonnet! We could produce a single rear facing louvres either side incorperated into the bonnet?

The process without giving to much info on our secret is as follows: Molding and tooling I won't bother you with. We use a mixture of 3 resins and 2 different types of catylst in our lay-up schedule to allow us to hand lay our parts.

Carbon fibre 2x2 twill weave and a 10.5 oz material are used for regular hoods. The backing or frame structure we use a 2 layer mat lay-up. Carbon/kevlar is 5.7 oz material (1/2 the weight) and same backing.

I hope this gives you a good idea of how we do things at our manufacturing plant. Again we can not give the details of how we do things as most people do not make hoods as we do.

As you may have also noticed , we have rolled edges and have a unique way of making our under structures. The bonnets are carbon/kevlar upper with a fabric internal structure, they are are direct OEM replacements so will come with cut outs for the bonnet stay and have out unique nickel plated latch fitted. See picture from our website:

We want to keep in the top list of manufacturing carbon parts and in order to do this we are always striving to help the customer and have a great quality part.

The Kevlar material would roughly work out £70 more than carbon, as this is a superior material (and you can buy it coloured) 8)

Regards,

Jeff

CFX Bodywerks UK
www.carbonfibrefx.com
07966 029140

PS – I'll be at G-Force this Saturday with my EVO 5 RS and the CFX bonnet if anyone would like to pop over and say hello/have a look :wink: [/img]

R

robinsongtir

for me I would jsut want a flat bonnet with the side vents fitted because the whole point un eleminating the bulge would be to reduce drag at higher speeds and hopefully shaving some 10th's of the 1/4 mile times als helped with the less weight

J

jaigtir

im definately interested in a carbon fibre bonnet asap. Id like one same as standard gtir bonnet though with the bulge and 2 side vents, as said before, this is the gtir's trademark. :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If my current bonnet falls through :evil: I'd like a kevlar one, flat with the evo scoop.
It's got to have the evo scoop to let all the nasty heat out of the engine bay :wink: Totally flat is good, but a heat trap.

A

Anonymous

I have a carbon kevlar sandard bonnet with evo vent.
PLEASE PLEASE