We need a 3" exhaust!!!

GINGA

This should give them some ideas :wink: these are for the S14 but should give them a good idea of what we want 8)

I'm thinking of having it made with seperate wastegate pipe simular to the item Kev R recently purchased.
I think the one Kev has got is designed to still work with the aircon :?: so takes a tighter route off the turbo than it would have to with the aircon pump removed so we should be able to take advantage off the extra space available without the aircon pump and have pretty smooth pipe run off the turbo and down to the cat
What i hope to get is a new downpipe with a TRUE 3" dump pipe so it will be a turbo back 3" system
I don't think you'll be able to have a true 3" dump pipe with a twin pipe setup as the outlet on the turbo is only 2.5" IIRC :?: so it would have to be a 2.5" going up to 3" like the ones in the pics above though the extra capacity of the wastegate pipe would help alot also theres this option to which would be a true 3" pipe off the turbo, though the twin pipe setup is supposed to be a better design.

j10gtr

i would be interested in a 3" dump pipe and down pipe that would mate up to the normal mongoose. I see very little point in going 3" all the way unless your after big power and noise.

Thanks
Paul

skiddusmarkus

I just want the dump really but if a whole system isn't going to be crippling then I'd get one.There are a few of these threads going at the moment,should help keep the price down a bit :) .

Jobi Joba

GINGA said:
though the twin pipe setup is supposed to be a better design.

I like those!!!Why twin pipe is supposed to be better? :?:

If someone needs it,I have a std dump pipe I don't use at the mo' ... :roll:

gtirpulsar

The S14 HKSdump pipes you see pictured will not work with a standard T28. I know of 2 people in OZ who have tried in vain to make them fit. Lex is using a modified one on his R... but he's got HKS GT2835 turbo.

The benifit of seperating the exhaust from the wastegate pipe outlet is to minimise collision of exhaust gasses on gear changes, which create back pressure. So even if you mated a 4" opening to the T28 flange you would have collision.
Where the standard turbo elbow is most restrictive is just after that big collision area the elbow is cast with a 1 inch square bend as the gas turns the 90 degree corner (there is a mushroomed opening above the top of the square [damn I wish my website was running]) I'm trying to say the gasses have to not only turn 90 degrees but go through the smallest hole any where in the exhaust system.. a standard runner on the header is only slightly smaller :shock:

Mr GTiR

Just tried to ring Nigel @ Blueflame but he's still in London.

I'll try again in the morning.

But once the dump pipe has been developed and made then the rest of the 3" exhaust system is a piece of pi$$.

so hopefully at the end of this little exercise peeps will be able to buy a twin pipe dump pipe with a 3" exhaust system off the shelf 8)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Who makes the non split pipe above and I take it there for the S14. Is it a modded one of these Lex uses on his 2835 or the twin one further above. When you say he had to mod it for the 2835, how and what did he mod. I'm getting TD to make a hybrid 2835 for me so if I could use this elbow that would be great.

C

Crazy

Just received this from NigeBlueflame@aol.com

Hi There,
We can produce anything as long as the demand is there.
To produce a production run of say 25 we would need a donor car and firm orders from forum members.
The cost of a system would be in the order of £300.00 + vat.
As an alternative you can have a one off costructed in 3.00 " for £500.00 + vat
best regards

:?: :?: :?: ??? :?: :?:

Jobi Joba

Price surprisingly low...Do they include the turbo elbow?If they do,it's real bargain!!And in that case I will be first on the list!!!

Who said "get your car back on the road first!" :evil: I bet it's Mem or Sirnix... :lol:

P

pschurr

There are a two reasons why the HKS twin pipe (and the knock-off) doesn't fit the GTIR. It will mate to the turbo ok, but...

- it won't take the bend, fouls on the aircon compressor. If you remove the compressor...
- it does not turn forward (away from the block) enough, and fouls the oil-pan.

So you're ca-fupped. I tried, but ended up using the top flange and separator only to make a custom twin pipe.

The reason twin pipe is better than big-bol.locks single pipe is more related to gas flow rather than turbulence from wastegate gas. The wastegate is not open a whole lot anyway (unless you're on the track!).

The main exhaust port and the wastegate ports have a positional relationship to each other. If you stick a big open area in front of both, it does not provide a smooth or tight passage for the main port. In fact, as gas comes out, it expands into this big area. That expansion causes turbulence and heat-sink into the pipe itself. Good flow is destroyed right at the exit of the turbo. You create another pressure barrier right there. So twin pipe is more about ensuring that the main gas coming off the turbine has a smooth consistent passage in which to flow away from the turbo, where it can't expand sideways or otherwise swish and swill about.

Trying to catch both main port and wastegate port into the same pipe just creates the Albert Hall in which your gas can sing and dance about.

peter

Hkondakci

I agree fully. Probably the best thing to do with en external wastegate, and probably the nicest is to have a seperate pipe for it alltogether which expells the pressurized gases directly to the air; gives very good sound and works best way with no turbulence etc. I'm trying to make a pipe from the wastegate to the side of the car, so it has 2 exhausts, one behind, and one in the back. Most be nice in the dark with flames all around. i.e. when it will be finished in a good future :lol: :lol:

rgs
habib

A

Anonymous

so, any news on this ???
300 gbp + vat for a turbo-back 76,2 mm stainless steel system right ? (yeah 3 inch)
Very interesting, update please !

A

Anonymous

wot, no replies on a great thing liek this ? Come on guys !

GINGA

I mailed Ian at Hiteq and he said he could do a custom turbo dump pipe for around £150 and custom downpipe for about £200 8)

GINGA

I'm presuming in stainless and was asking about a copy of Lex's setup at the time so would be close to what he has I would imagine :?:

ian c

3"?

it seems to me that you are all willing to dump your mongoose's in favour of a 3" system with very little justification, other than to say you have a 3" zorst!
has any of you 3" boys had your car on rollers before and after the swap???

i'd say save your money, get a better turbo elbow made for now (+ a few bhp) , lob the AC in the bin (it'll probably have the same effect as increasing to 3"..a mere 2-3 bhp)

anyway, about 1 year ago i spoke to longlife exhausts and they said they could produce a 3" turbo back for under £300 - no silencers etc.
now, this was a while ago...

if you all just want power, go back to basics....is your filter gettin a proper supply of cold air, most aren't......have you done everything to keep the engine bay as cold as poss....oil coolers, exhaust wrap....etc

Ian C

skiddusmarkus

I'm happy with the Monggose but not the dump pipe.If having a better setup means a new/modified downpipe then that's what I'll do,but leave the rest as it is.
For most of us,a 3" pipe isn't necessary as 2.5" is supposed to be good for 400bhp,so I'm not gonna fix what isn't broken.