Raising the compression?

ashills

normally when they go straight cut they also go to dog engagement so have more available space to make the gears wider therefore stronger and less teeth to make each one bigger/ stronger

P

pulsarboby

noriek2003 said:
depending on what i rev to (which needs to be semi sensible on the first engine so im only talking 7000-8000rpm) it could be anywhere between 130 and 150ish mph :yo: if i get brave/silly and am willing to push it a little bit further, risking a rod out the block :cry: it could be heading for 160's

Plan b, (if it ever happens and makes enough power) has a theoretical mph of 171mph in 4th at 9000rpm :faint:

i actually had a dream about your car last night:shock: :oops: :doh:

me and the mrs were at the pod and you turned up in the green monster (but didnt want anyone to know you were going and asked us to keep it a secret) the car was billowing out loads of smoke and i turned round to the mrs and said 'that wont make 100 yards let alone 1/4 mile' sounded like a right old shitter!
but when you got on the line the thing went like a rocket and you did an 8.1s 1/4:shock:
i said f#####g hell what have you done to make it that quick, and your reply was
'its down to my petrol and diesel fuel mix, just one of my cunning plans':lol: :lol:

J

jpward

pulsarboby said:
i actually had a dream about your car last night:shock: :oops: :doh:

me and the mrs were at the pod and you turned up in the green monster (but didnt want anyone to know you were going and asked us to keep it a secret) the car was billowing out loads of smoke and i turned round to the mrs and said 'that wont make 100 yards let alone 1/4 mile' sounded like a right old shitter!
but when you got on the line the thing went like a rocket and you did an 8.1s 1/4:shock:
i said f#####g hell what have you done to make it that quick, and your reply was
'its down to my petrol and diesel fuel mix, just one of my cunning plans':lol: :lol:
Private TVO joke in there???

:p

steve963

just been looking at the gearbox diagrams

first gear and the final drive are right next to the clutch side of the box, so there must be huge force to push the shafts apart at the other end,

you would think your more likely to break the endcasing using 5th gear!

Is there no way of welding a plate between the 2 shafts end bearings/mountings both on the clutch side and the other, to stop them seperating?

ashills

no room in the assembly to mount the plate we have talked about trying this before i also spoke to quaife when doing a tour of the factory a while ago but they were talking swiss bank accounts to get involved
the end case breaks because the angle on the gears trys to push one shaft up away from the other so it goes out the end
when si ran a brace on the end it transfered the stress to the bell housing and cracked that only good thing about doing it that way is bell housing cracking doesnt tend to damage gear set like the other end exploding does

noriek2003

steve963 said:
Is there no way of welding a plate between the 2 shafts end bearings/mountings both on the clutch side and the other, to stop them seperating?
you're actually getting quite warm to what we have done with mine, hence why i have no 5th gear, you dont need to weld anything, just need to be abit clever ;-)

steve963

nice thinkin, outside the box! (or in this case inside the box!!!! hahahaha lol)

guess it`ll probably go at the clutch end, in the end...??

ashills

shouldnt do now with everything straight cut this is more of a safety precaution but if it does ull see lots of parts up for sale when kieron goes insane lol

ashills

not many people wanna loose 5th gear and its taken a fair bit of messing,also its untested as yet

but offer kieron massive amounts of money and he may get another made lol

Radleigh

How does that brace thing work? Lose 5th gear and hold the mainshaft and the other one in one place, so it dont move in the casing?

Whats the actual downfall on losing 5th gear though apart from motorway driving?

steve963

Radders said:
Whats the actual downfall on losing 5th gear though apart from motorway driving?
5th gears handy above 40-45mph:roll: , although you could probably get the ratios changed when running 400bhp+

Nigell_d6

Something to do with holding the shafts together so spreading the axial, transverse and logitudinal moments and loading thus exerting less load on the casing, and with the drop in fuel prices and 70mph:) on the motorway, who needs 5th, and on the winky windy bits of road, more fun in lesser gears.:lol: :lol:

regards

legin:p kuy