Raising the compression?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I had my case and bell housing cryo treated and the Quaife gearset I had cryo treated and shotpeened and that is still in one piece but then it would have never been used as aggressively as Loui's

Oh and I made sure I used a late 94 case as well as these are thought to possibly be slightly stronger

Last edited:
J

jpward

stevepudney said:
who knows if it works...........

it's just one of those things I had done for that extra piece of mind
Who did you use then matey?

J

jpward

steve963 said:
£25000 !!!! WHAAAAATT !!!

guess were stuck with em then!
They wont all cost this!

The first one is the most expensive but once they have done the research and number crunching and managed to produce a casing then you should be looking at about £2k a case to produce it's the same with most cnc'd things!

We would need about 20 people to put money into a pot for this to work which i can never see happening personnaly :sad:

LOU ROB

I've been quite lucky with gearbox casings as i'm yet to break one, but I have managed to destroy many a standard gearset.
I've now got a ppg full set (with final drive and forks). The interesting thing is that the gearbox builder found a tiny bit if play in the gearset and final drive once it had been assembled, but he has managed to machine something to eliminate this, and he recons the gearbox is now bullet proof.
I hope he is right because I don't fancy having 5K's worth of metal all over the floor.

noriek2003

LOU ROB said:
. The interesting thing is that the gearbox builder found a tiny bit if play in the gearset and final drive once it had been assembled, but he has managed to machine something to eliminate this, and he recons the gearbox is now bullet proof.
is he talking about adding more preload on the shafts with a bigger shim ? if so i really dont see how that will make the case any stronger tbh. If yours stays in one peice compared to si's i'd put my money on it being down to everything being straight cut.

We've got a few plans to try with mine on top of the stuff thats already been discussed, should be putting it together this weekend

J

jpward

LOU ROB said:
I've been quite lucky with gearbox casings as i'm yet to break one, but I have managed to destroy many a standard gearset.
I've now got a ppg full set (with final drive and forks). The interesting thing is that the gearbox builder found a tiny bit if play in the gearset and final drive once it had been assembled, but he has managed to machine something to eliminate this, and he recons the gearbox is now bullet proof.
I hope he is right because I don't fancy having 5K's worth of metal all over the floor.
All straight cut/dog set Lou?

J

jpward

noriek2003 said:
is he talking about adding more preload on the shafts with a bigger shim ? if so i really dont see how that will make the case any stronger tbh. If yours stays in one peice compared to si's i'd put my money on it being down to everything being straight cut.

We've got a few plans to try with mine on top of the stuff thats already been discussed, should be putting it together this weekend
Slightly off topic but i was told by a guy who has a Turbo Busa that all he had to do was put a quife shaft and gear set in there and he is running over 500 ponies and being that all bikes i know off are straight cut/dog type would i be correct in thinking that a full straight cut set up would sort this or is there something more i am missing as i know the final drive would play a different part?

Excuse the gearbox novice questions :oops:

steve963

lots of fingers seem to be pointing towards fully straight cut will stop the shafts from pressing apart, but dont think ive read any proof, maybe Lou Rob has the answer...

J

jpward

steve963 said:
lots of fingers seem to be pointing towards fully straight cut will stop the shafts from pressing apart, but dont think ive read any proof, maybe Lou Rob has the answer...
I think more people HOPE it is the gear's and not so much the case as gears can be bought of the shelf were as the casings will take a lot to get one made if you get my drift? ;-)

noriek2003

jp and steve...

originally si had a quiafe helical box with a brace, that lasted well, no cases exploded, one cracked at the bell housing but the cryo'd case lasted and is now in malta on trips car, i guess still in one peice.?

next he went with a straight cut 1-4 ppg dogset, cryo'd case, no brace. This gearset utlised a standard mainshaft and final drive, these were also cryo'd. That box lasted 2 runs, spat the mainshaft out the end of the case, usually its the input shaft bearing seat that goes, that was still intact. This would have you thing that it was the helical cut that loads up the case as it was only on that shaft and ring gear. ???

we now have straight cut everything, (input shaft, gears, final drive). will probably use an external brace aswell, the cases are cryo'd and theres a couple of other trick things going on with mine.

Also thought needs to be put into how the clutch is used on the initial launch, side stepping it is only going to end in tears, simons ppg didn't break on the launch, it actually broke going for 2nd, whether it cracked on the launch we will never know.

Loading the car up on the brakes/handbrake will help take some of the shock out of the launch as will using a clutch that can be slipped slightly.

I guess we'll know for sure if we've finally cracked it when i finally get my turd finished...

J

jpward

noriek2003 said:
jp and steve...

originally si had a quiafe helical box with a brace, that lasted well, no cases exploded, one cracked at the bell housing but the cryo'd case lasted and is now in malta on trips car, i guess still in one peice.?

next he went with a straight cut 1-4 ppg dogset, cryo'd case, no brace. This gearset utlised a standard mainshaft and final drive, these were also cryo'd. That box lasted 2 runs, spat the mainshaft out the end of the case, usually its the input shaft bearing seat that goes, that was still intact. This would have you thing that it was the helical cut that loads up the case as it was only on that shaft and ring gear. ???

we now have straight cut everything, (input shaft, gears, final drive). will probably use an external brace aswell, the cases are cryo'd and theres a couple of other trick things going on with mine.

Also thought needs to be put into how the clutch is used on the initial launch, side stepping it is only going to end in tears, simons ppg didn't break on the launch, it actually broke going for 2nd, whether it cracked on the launch we will never know.

Loading the car up on the brakes/handbrake will help take some of the shock out of the launch as will using a clutch that can be slipped slightly.

I guess we'll know for sure if we've finally cracked it when i finally get my turd finished...
So who did you trust to Cryo £3k+ of gearbox then?

LOU ROB

noriek2003 said:
is he talking about adding more preload on the shafts with a bigger shim ?
Yes, with this in mind and no sideways movement of the shaft due to everyrhing being spur gears, the casing shouldn't pop.

Last edited: