Raising the compression?

noriek2003

jpward said:
So who did you trust to Cryo £3k+ of gearbox then?
The gearset is already heat treated when its manufactured by ppg, nothing needs doing to that.

Greg at frozen solid did the cryo on the cases,

by the time you add new bearings and a few other bits you end up at around 5k :shock: thats without labour. Add a clutch that will take some heat so you can slip it and you might aswell say your over 6k :shock:

noriek2003

LOU ROB said:
Yes, with this in mind and no sideways movement of the shaft due to everyrhing being spur gears, the casing shouldn't pop.
lets hope so 8)

my guess is you'll be the next test pilot as simon hasn't touched his car :doh:

LOU ROB

noriek2003 said:
lets hope so 8)

my guess is you'll be the next test pilot as simon hasn't touched his car :doh:
I hope it resolves the issue, but more than likely another weak link will come to light somewhere along the line.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
noriek2003 said:
just avoid motorways, job jobbed :lol:
Personally I don't exactly regret owning the pulsar but I wish I'd used all the money I spent on the bloody thing and bought and M5, V8 Audi or something that actually works with good power straight out the tin :?

but hey where's the fun in that

noriek2003

i think we all get like that tbh steve, i certainly wouldn't have one as my road car now tbh.

A mate of mine has a twin turbo aristo, everythings electric, goes well, can drive miles in it without feeling like you've been very far. I'd have something like that if i wanted another road car.

As for the drag car, i've put far to much time, effort and money into in it to ever consider selling it or to ever consider getting something else, i guess i'll just keep throwing money at it and making it better, just got to get it finished first though :lol:

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Odin said:
All be it short of 5th so absolutely of no use to anybody with a road car ;-) :lol: .

It'll still probably be more use than mine with 5th on the road, depending how it's geared.:doh:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
123mph according to the Datron at Bruntingthorpe. (130ish on the speedo)

I'd hope you need at least 140 in yours for the strip.

J

jpward

noriek2003 said:
depending on what i rev to (which needs to be semi sensible on the first engine so im only talking 7000-8000rpm) it could be anywhere between 130 and 150ish mph :yo: if i get brave/silly and am willing to push it a little bit further, risking a rod out the block :cry: it could be heading for 160's

Plan b, (if it ever happens and makes enough power) has a theoretical mph of 171mph in 4th at 9000rpm :faint:
Are you in possession of a large furry set???

Cant see the valve train taking that? :?

Whats the most anyones been up to and not broken anything??

noriek2003

the second engine will take 9000rpm, could possibly go higher, the topend is far from standard :eyebrows: had the parts for a while.

the highest i've seen an sr based engine rev to is mazworks drag s15 with the ve head

11,000rpm :shock:

although that does run a pretty trick shimless valve set up ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
noriek2003 said:
the second engine will take 9000rpm, could possibly go higher, the topend is far from standard :eyebrows: had the parts for a while.

the highest i've seen an sr based engine rev to is mazworks drag s15 with the ve head

--Sky Racing Engineering S15 Silvia: 9.771 @ 242.29 km/hr
SR20DET, 804PS, 11,500 rpm, Boost: 2.4kg/cm2, T51R SPL-BB, Tomei 2.2l kit,
Tomei cams (IN/EX: 270deg), Toda sleeves, JUN surge tank, HKS F-conV,
ARC radiator (rear mount), HKS air shifter, triple plate clutch,
HKS HiperMax Damper Drag (F:3k, R:4k), Nitto NT555R (R:315/35-17),
;-)

noriek2003

seems strange that despite the extra revs that car is 2 seconds slower and makes much less power than mazworks :noidea:

guess its not a tubed drag car but full chassis ?

J

jpward

noriek2003 said:

How the heck do they keep the rockers from flying off?

I thought when you were looking at above 8k this would be an issue?

They got some special glue in there! :lol:

Back to topic though I had a good read on wiki about gearboxes just hit in manual gearboxes and it will give more of an insite to different types of boxes/gears and help thoses of us understand better how the magic grey box turns one input speed into another.

Reading between the lines they too would point a finger at lateral forces with helical gears and mentioned how double/herring bone gears eliminate the forces and maintain quietness, any reason apart from obvious manufactoring issues why they would not be made be the likes of Quaife?

They also stated something worrying in that a spur gear set wont be able to withstand the same torque as there is more "shock" in the application of power from one gear to another along the front edge which also causes the whirring noise?? This goes against what I had read on here about straight cut boxes being better for big power cars?

Ahhh where's that fella Bernie with an "Opie Oil Type Post" :lol: