Look What I found! and had delivered!

Empty Pockets

Just a shame that if people knew kyb didn't even make gtir replacement shocks, they didn't say at the start, there wouldn't be a 6 page thread and it would have saved people wasting their time trying to help looking for the correct part that doesn't even exist........ Too funny. So after all this, this isn't a thread for gtir replacement shocks, it's a thread about fitting shocks for a completely different, mundane shopping car, on a high performance car.... quality lol.

keastygtir

Well I am going take a chance and see what they are like. If there not up to it I suppose i will have to go coilovers afterall

Empty Pockets

Surely someone makes specific gtir shocks that aren't coilovers, spax, bilstien, ohlins etc, there's loads of companies out there, have you looked around ?

Mr B

KYB never made precise replacement for GTiR hence why people found others nissan variants that fit, that how he got these, by using the Nissan part numbers & crossing to KYB options.
No one makes specific GTiR standard style struts-shocks any more & range in the day was limited, no idea on current availability through Nissan UK but worth checking.
Simplest & best solution is bilstien inverted inserts. I wouldn't even bother with old GABs etc as most are close to death by now so you best spending on a new better tech & rebuildable solution.
If yours fit ok certainly worth giving them a test as fair few people in Oz & Asia running on excel G variants.

Empty Pockets

KYB never made precise replacement for GTiR hence why people found others nissan variants that fit, that how he got these, by using the Nissan part numbers & crossing to KYB options. No one makes specific GTiR standard style struts-shocks any more & range in the day was limited, no idea on current availability through Nissan UK but worth checking. Simplest & best solution is bilstien inverted inserts. I wouldn't even bother with old GABs etc as most are close to death by now so you best spending on a new better tech & rebuildable solution. If yours fit ok certainly worth giving them a test as fair few people in Oz & Asia running on excel G variants.
You've waited untill page 6 to tell everyone twice that kyb don't make gtir shocks.... As said, why didn't you say it at the start as for 5 pages it's been made to look like they do, instead you've waited untill i've checked kyb's site and confirmed they never made them or are discontinued ? All you had to say was "Kyb don't make shocks for ghe gtir, but you can retrofit/bodge a set of sunny diesel, gti or nx shocks on if you don't want to spend the money and buy the correct part for your car from Nissan'........ Christ, instead you're telling people it's ok to fit incorrect parts to the car as some people in OZ did it.....

red reading

They are about £200 + vat etc from nissan per corner! or were when I checked 18 months ago, same as a gearbox was £3k an engine complete was £5k ish a lot is discontinued now...but spax and Koni still do inserts as they were exactly the same part number as the gti.

Empty Pockets

Not cheap, but the correct part for the car, so as above the only reason people are fitting the wrong parts is cost, no wonder the gtir has or had the stigma attached... The spax and koni inserts are obviously not ideal either then if it's a one size fits all part ? So the only complete shock that is made for a gtir is oem Nissan, unless you want to fit a less than ideal 'one setting for all' insert, or a set of diesel, gti or nx shocks.

red reading

Ohlins and all the other proper suspension manufactures will make properly suited suspension as well...but there not cheap either, so in your summing up russ your correct, I will say though having had Koni and spax on gtirs with whitline springs they do work well.

Empty Pockets

Glad we got there in the end, as i (and no doubt others) thought these were the correct part for the car and a bloody good find, atleast people know they're not now and can choose wether they want to save a few quid and buy the wrong part or not, as opposed to thinking they're correct & buying them.

Mr B

You've waited untill page 6 to tell everyone twice that kyb don't make gtir shocks.... As said, why didn't you say it at the start as for 5 pages it's been made to look like they do, instead you've waited untill i've checked kyb's site and confirmed they never made them or are discontinued ? All you had to say was "Kyb don't make shocks for ghe gtir, but you can retrofit/bodge a set of sunny diesel, gti or nx shocks on if you don't want to spend the money and buy the correct part for your car from Nissan'........ Christ, instead you're telling people it's ok to fit incorrect parts to the car as some people in OZ did it.....
Thought it was quite obvious from OP's first post that he sourcing alternatives hence why he got the company search based on oem nissan numbers & not select direct from KYB as not listed.
No where has it been stated the mentioned KYB's were GTiR specific & that has just been your assumption.
I did not tell people it was a great option, I told people it done before & can work. My actual stance was I would not do it myself as I use Bilstien inserts ...
Last struts I had fro Nissan cost less than 120GBP per corner but that was about 6+ years ago.

Last edited:

red reading

Thought it was quite obvious from OP's first post that he sourcing alternatives hence why he got the company search based on oem nissan numbers & not select direct from KYB as not listed.
No where has it been stated the mentioned KYB's were GTiR specific & that has just been your assumption.
I did not tell people it was a great option, I told people it done before & can work. My actual stance was I would not do it myself as I use Bilstien inserts ...
Are you Narin from Thailand ?

Empty Pockets

Thought it was quite obvious from OP's first post that he sourcing alternatives hence why he got the company search based on oem nissan numbers & not select direct from KYB as not listed. No where has it been stated the mentioned KYB's were GTiR specific & that has just been your assumption. I did not tell people it was a great option, I told people it done before & can work. My actual stance was I would not do it myself as I use Bilstien inserts ... Last struts I had fro Nissan cost less than 120GBP per corner but that was about 6+ years ago.
Yes, alternative 'GTIR' shocks,..... lol. You've just said yourself you knew i was talking about gtir specific shocks so why the hell have we been going round in circles talking about it for 5pages if you knew what i meant and knew they didn't exist...... nevermind.

Mr B

Yes, alternative 'GTIR' shocks,..... lol. You've just said yourself you knew i was talking about gtir specific shocks so why the hell have we been going round in circles talking about it for 5pages if you knew what i meant and knew they didn't exist...... nevermind.
Yes I see you thought was pattern part replacement hence why I specified twice they not, 5 pages was debate on valving & fit. If specific part we would not needed do that would we !

Empty Pockets

Even the op thought they were correct for the car, hence when you've said the part numbers are for gti/nx, he said oh shit..... Read the bloody thread again, you're making no sense...

Mr B

Even the op thought they were correct for the car, hence when you've said the part numbers are for gti/nx, he said oh shit..... Read the bloody thread again, you're making no sense...
Makes perfect sense to me & English not my first Language .
He said on first page they look ok but hopefully fit right, I would suggest you take your own advise & do some reading too ;-)