Look What I found! and had delivered!

Empty Pockets

Will be interesting to see as I will possibly be after some for mine, seems like a good choice. Keep us posted and thanks for sharing. Russ it wont make a shell handle any better you need a kitchen table I mean engine to move it first.
It's still under there Tom...... lol. Think my pals going to have it all off me around christmas time anyway, may buy an ecu in the meantime but that'll be it, if he comes up with the paper it's gone, got no attachment/sentimental value to it now.

Mr B

Exactly my point, the spring rates aren't going to be the same between a fwd gti & awd gtir, obviously the front & rear are going to be a lot heavier on the gtir, so you either run a miss-valved setup with the right weight (gtir) springs, or a completely under-sprung setup with the right springs for the shock ?
You make same & more change to valving match on standard struts when fitting some after market springs.
It won't be an optimised setup but it will be very close & given age of originals probably far better even if valving not best match.
for £55 a corner you not going get perfection.
If fussy & want tunable quality standard style struts do a Bilstien insert conversion on set of standard strut housings.

Empty Pockets

You make same & more change to valving match on standard struts when fitting some after market springs. It won't be an optimised setup but it will be very close & given age of originals probably far better even if valving not best match. for £55 a corner you not going get perfection. If fussy & want tunable quality standard style struts do a Bilstien insert conversion on set of standard strut housings.
It's not about being fussy, gti shocks are not right for a gtir, you can disagree if you want but that's a fact. We're not talking about aftermarket springs or price etc, we're talking about gti shocks on a gtir ? Just because it physically fits it doesn't mean it's right, you wouldn't use an aluminium bolt to secure the hub to the strut just because it's the same thread would you ? If there was no difference between them there'd only be one part number ? How can they be correct when a gti has no rear drivetrain, plus the extra weight of all the associated turbo bits up front.. a gti and gtir shock are obviously not going to be the same valving, why are we discussing this ? lol

Mr B

It's not about being fussy, gti shocks are not right for a gtir, you can disagree if you want but that's a fact. We're not talking about aftermarket springs or price etc, we're talking about gti shocks on a gtir ? Just because it physically fits it doesn't mean it's right, you wouldn't use an aluminium bolt to secure the hub to the strut just because it's the same thread would you ? If there was no difference between them there'd only be one part number ? How can they be correct when a gti has no rear drivetrain, plus the extra weight of all the associated turbo bits up front.. a gti and gtir shock are obviously not going to be the same valving, why are we discussing this ? lol
I agree they are not the same as GTiR OEM.
From point of structural integrity they are fine as a replacement, quite a few bits from various nissans from the gti, primera fit the R & are the same part or superseding part.
From a car manufacturing perspective things are not that different on base parts including struts, balljoints, wheel bearings, wishbones etc.
Standard rear GTi shocks do not fit the R, ones used here in Asia region are 4x4 pulsar & nx KYB listed .
From perspective of valving they won't be best & that will be one of the major differences in the Nissan p/n.
Personally I would not use them as prefer cartridge conversion in OEM housing.
Proof of the pudding is in the eating though, so testing extended/compressed stroke, fit/alignment & actual road manners on these will be interesting.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

I would be happy to put a gtir specific set on as they'll be based on gtir settings, would certainly not put something on that's based for a non awd though, regardless of the rear arb/drop link mountings..... If theres separate part numbers for gti/gtir then they must make a gtir specific set, in which case why use anything else, it's totally illogical ? From a point of structural integrity, unless the gtir one's run a thicker front shaft then i'd agree they'll be fine in that respect, but that's way down the list of my suspension priorities compared to having a car that handles as it should/was intended, no good having something as important as suspension on there just because it fits., especially if the correct part is available.

Empty Pockets

Just seen your edit, so are you saying that the kyb replacements are listed as being both for an awd gtir, and fwd nx ? If that's the case i wouldn't use them without knowing what they were based for, sod that, i wouldn't entertain the idea of sticking something designed for a lightweight fwd car on a gtir.

Mr B

Just seen your edit, so are you saying that the kyb replacements are listed as being both for an awd gtir, and fwd nx ? If that's the case i wouldn't use them without knowing what they were based for, sod that, i wouldn't entertain the idea of sticking something designed for a lightweight fwd car on a gtir.
The part numbers in one of my previous post are 4x4 specific, ones in OP post are gti nx.
point was even the 4x4 specific p/n can cross to an nx if reference all p/n variants.
I was able buy Nissan struts for around 115GBP, no idea on UK availability currently.
I recommend inverted inserts for road use & great handling but not always cheap pending on custom valving costs in you region .

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

Bummer for the op then, maybe there wouldn't be any mix ups if we only searched via oem Nissan part numbers, no good using different manufacturer's part numbers if they're generic and can cross over between two shocks designed for two different cars, that's not good.

Mr B

Bummer for the op then, maybe there wouldn't be any mix ups if we only searched via oem Nissan part numbers, no good using different manufacturer's part numbers if they're generic and can cross over between two shocks designed for two different cars, that's not good.
His fronts will fit as that model range strut been bolted to an R before.
Backs may fit if design of strut body tube does not hang lower than the hub mount bracket thus clears drive-shaft but the arb mount will be out I suspect.
Problem is KYB range in UK is more limited on the 4x4 version range than Oz/Asia & special orders would probably be close to getting them from Nissan parts counter on price.

Empty Pockets

Camskill are quite good imo, if you've given them the oem Nissan gtir part numbers and they've sourced these, they will have them back or exchange for the correct one's i'd imagine.

keastygtir

Yeah they said they would take them back. What is the correct KYB number for the gtir specific rear shocks then?

Empty Pockets

Sorry, i don't know, i didn't even know the one's you'd got were wrong, On a side note i'd swap the whole lot not just the rears, for the reasons previously mentioned .

Last edited:

keastygtir

I see what Mr B has said in the thread and it makes sense but I have looked up the numbers for the AWD shocks and they are for the 1.6 sunny, no mention of the gtir. Apart from the rears possibly being different in terms of drop link mounts etc I don't see the difference in terms of the valving as those shocks are also not gtir specific. I am just going to compare them to the old ones I have got and go from there.

Empty Pockets

I'm not with you ? Two people have said there is a different part number for awd & fwd, so they will be gtir specific unless there's a load of nissan awd cars that use the same shocks that i've never heard of, and even if so, the random awd one's will be a better match than fwd gti/nx shocks ? The guys have said the part numbers you have are for a gti/nx and NOT for awd, it's up to you what you want to do with that information, a gti & gtir shock will be valved differently. If you're saying that there is only one part number and that covers everything in both fwd and awd, from gti, nx, sentra, gtir and probably Almera's. then they're just generic stuff not suited to the car and you might aswell buy cheap coilovers ? This is confusing me now as we're going round in circles again, it's pretty simple though.. there is either two different products with seperate part numbers (AWD & FWD applications )..... or there is one generic product (which is obviously based for the wrong car if the rears don't fit) with multiple part numbers ?

Empty Pockets

Right, i think you need to email kyb and find out what's what..... I've just looked on the kyb europe website, there isn't an awd gtir listed in any of the umpteen different pulsar categories, the only place on the kyb site i can find the awd gtir listed is under 'sunny mk 111 hatchback (n14)' and when you click on the gtir at the bottom of the list it brings up a box which gives part numbers for the front & rear axles, and both are blank, which to me suggests they don't make them for the gtir or they're discontinued ?

Mr B

KYB never listed part for GTiR, simply some people fitted select versions of n14 gti or 4x4 front struts & 4x4 or nx rears.
your 332057/56 are sunny/nx rears so should clear driveshaft as nx struts are same length as R & nx inserts fit R strut bodies.
arb mount position could be issue.
Your 333090/89 are gti/diesel fronts & do fit. have seen 4x4 333092/91 used too.
If rears fit worth giving them road test as standard springs are around 3F/2R so valving won't be worst match for road use.
If want standard style struts & quality handling-valving use inverted rebuildable inserts in original strut bodies.