Curborough Sprint Course - Track-day's

RU55 GTR

Thank you for everybody that came!! (I'm sorry that you couldn't make it 'nitrosgti-r', hopefully you can join us next time!?) It was a great day and it was great to meet the people behind the forum names. :-D

The weather managed to hold-out for us, with the odd shower just moistening the asphalt for a few minutes; fun with the R's & a handful for the two-wheelers (front and rear wheel drive). :twisted: When the track was dry, the R's were sticking to it like glue, suffering a bit of understeer with a little too much entry speed, but that got tuned-out. The nissan 200's and Skyline, plus the Supra and BMW scrapy special :thumbsup:, were spinning-up the rears and drifting around most corners. This didn't go without incident :doh: , with some hic-ups that looked worse than they turned-out. The R's showed their drifting potential by managing to light-up the rears and hold a short, but definate 4-wheel drift. :thumbsup:

The R's showed considerable reliabilty with Olliecast's not requiring much, if any, attention throughout day and RU55 GTR's having some teething problems and some historical items rearing their heads. This, really, being quite impressive considering the humidity and the intensity that the sprint track demands.

All in all, the day was a success with some great motors, some impressive driving(/crashing with style) and some brilliant personalities. I hope we can arrange another one soon and it would be nice to a few more R's there. :-D

RU55 GTR

Ollie, if you have any photo's or video from the day could we arrange for me to get a copy? If I can get enough quality material together, then I'll try and put a few short videos together.

Just to add on a personal note, it was a pleasure to meet you and your R and I hope we can do a few more events like this together!

All the best and keep in-touch! :)

olliecast

Hi Russ,
Got to say it was an awesome day. The R`s being very reliable and looking very tidy in handling and power terms.

My rears aren`t looking to good anymore though from the days earlier antics. Some right foot restraint helped combat that toward the rear of the day though.

In the end, fuel surge was the only biggy for me. Started with just over half a tank left.

What an awesome day though and well well worth the 40 quid.
I have some in car camera footage but you tube isn`t liking the 60 meg of one file.
Let me know if you could host russ,

Cheers matey,
Ollie

olliecast

now some pics and vids just uploading:

Late in the day vid:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wofX3j0x4t8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wofX3j0x4t8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1U7KFBnBJXs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Few early vids:

first laps:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jIM_04sDBM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-rBvuTxgWhc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Cheers,
ollie

Last edited:

RU55 GTR

Nice one Ollie!! How did you get the big photo's up? I've got a few to add this weekend.

Good driving there and some distant evidence of you spinning the rears and getting a slide on!!!! :thumbsup:

I'm glad you enjoyed the day and felt it was a success. I certainly did. Are you still interested in a mid-year event (June/July), as I will start spreading the word now because it can take along time to fill the spaces and get the money in?

A message to all readers of this post; If you would like to attend a mid-year event, then please state your interest/ intent. The easier it is to fill the spaces, the more likely I'll be able to make time to arrange it.

Anyway, take it easy Ollie and catch-up soon! :-D

PS Do you want to have a track session at Castle Combe on Saturday 25th? A space may well be availble. I think it's going (including access to grounds) for £40?

olliecast

i just throw them on my photo bucket account mate. you can then just copy the imbed link into here

i`m going to struggle for the 25th mate as if my licence is through then my first sprint will be around then. thanks very much for the offer though.

Keep me in mind for others matey

RU55 GTR

how were the 4 pots mate
Very pleased to be honest! They are working well.

I put some miles on them to wear them in and took it 'steady' early-on in the day to give them more bedding-time. Later on in the day I started to use them in anger and they were biting well enough to cause the ABS to kick-in sometimes, but I do think it kicked-in inparticularly because my back brakes don't seem to really work?!?!?! (There is no bite from the rear calipers, loads of pad, good discs, no leaks, bled any air and have DOT 5.1 in?!?!?!).

They could do with some more 'gentle' bedding-in and the back brakes to be effective, then I can give you some proper feedback on them.

Fitting the kit was easy, quick and simple. Nothing to it to be honest. They are a rather tight fit on my 16's when using 10mm of spacer, but look tidy and are not catching (except on my drivers-side balancing weight). I file-down the cooling fins on the outside of the caliper a little, to give me slightly more clearance on the tightest part (actually, they look quite good IMO with the fins silver!). Comfortably though, I would prefer 12 to 15mm spacers to give that bit more clearance on the caliper face. Diameter wise, no problem!!!!! I definately cornered hard enough and got them hot enough to know whether they are going to catch.

Shame neither of you could make it down though, I would have taken you for a spin. Maybe next time you could bring your own car?

Cheers bud! :-D

PS feel free to cut and paste this into the brake thread. Just remember to mention I'm ranting on about a track-day though!!! :lol:

RU55 GTR

i just throw them on my photo bucket account mate. you can then just copy the imbed link into here

i`m going to struggle for the 25th mate as if my licence is through then my first sprint will be around then. thanks very much for the offer though.

Keep me in mind for others matey
Cheers for the advice and no worries about the 25th bud. Just wanted to offer it to you.

Best of luck with the licence and keep us informed about any events that you may enter. If I can, I'd like to come down and support you.

All the best bud! :)

npulsar

Very pleased to be honest! They are working well.

I put some miles on them to wear them in and took it 'steady' early-on in the day to give them more bedding-time. Later on in the day I started to use them in anger and they were biting well enough to cause the ABS to kick-in sometimes, but I do think it kicked-in inparticularly because my back brakes don't seem to really work?!?!?! (There is no bite from the rear calipers, loads of pad, good discs, no leaks, bled any air and have DOT 5.1 in?!?!?!).

They could do with some more 'gentle' bedding-in and the back brakes to be effective, then I can give you some proper feedback on them.

Fitting the kit was easy, quick and simple. Nothing to it to be honest. They are a rather tight fit on my 16's when using 10mm of spacer, but look tidy and are not catching (except on my drivers-side balancing weight). I file-down the cooling fins on the outside of the caliper a little, to give me slightly more clearance on the tightest part (actually, they look quite good IMO with the fins silver!). Comfortably though, I would prefer 12 to 15mm spacers to give that bit more clearance on the caliper face. Diameter wise, no problem!!!!! I definately cornered hard enough and got them hot enough to know whether they are going to catch.

Shame neither of you could make it down though, I would have taken you for a spin. Maybe next time you could bring your own car?

Cheers bud! :-D

PS feel free to cut and paste this into the brake thread. Just remember to mention I'm ranting on about a track-day though!!! :lol:
sounds like you had a good day out mate as soon as my
car is ready il be up for it and book up with you.:thumbsup: