wanted uprated coil(what and where from)

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I'm looking at upgrading my Coil as well, just want to make sure from the people who have done it that it works fine, so all i need to do is purchase the MSD Blaster SS coil PN 8207 and also wire in a 0.8ohm balast resistor?? is that correct??

the only thing im confused is that the resistor is used for when connecting a blaster coil for stock points ignition system as stated on the MSD brocuhure??
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf_catalog/128_133_accessories.pdf

Any1 have a simply diagram of the setup that they can email or post up??..

Arthur

hmmm

Just read up on this post. I wanted to know how this coil is holding up and if it was worth upgrading to it. How much better does it perform over the standard one?

Thanks.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
So just to get this 100% clear, it is the Blaster SS coil part number 8207 we need with a resistor from Real Steal and the adapter lead from Magnecor.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Well, armed with my new MSD Blaster SS Coil, Manecor 8.5mm HT lead, MSD 8 ohm Resistor, drill, screwdriver, some good quility cable, assortment of crimp on fittings and some heat-on shrink fit.

I fitted the MSC Coil and resistor. I removed the OEM coil and fitted the resistor in it's place then fitted the coil to the front of the inner passenger wheel arch. Sorted all the electrics and insulated everything in heat-on shrink fit. Looks ver neat and tidy.

Turned the key and everything started, very positivly.

Question to the guys already fitted theres, what size gap you using on your plugs now ?? I was using .07mm on the standard coil with my HKS Iridium 45i Plugs and all was well, are you running a bigger gap now you have a stronger spark ??

Dooie Pop Pop

i was running 1bar at .85 with no worries. im gonna be refitting mine soon i think (i didn' t take it off) im running upto 1.4 odd bar now so i too am unsure about gap size. i' ll just play it safe at .7 for now.

back on page 7 an aussy guy says he was running .8 @ 18psi with the blaster.

stu

S

str_motorsport

just fitted a msd blaster coil, but the positive wire is the big black and red stripe, while the negative is the smaller yellow wire...
can anybody confirm that?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
No, the bigger black and red wire goes to the negitive pole on the coil, the other thinner yellow cable goes to one side of the resistor, then from the other terminal of the resistor to the positive pole on the coil.

So you got it the wrong way round

S

str_motorsport

i have also checked on the service manual and the black red wire goes to the positive....the other goes to the ecu!
the black red wire goes under the fuse panel...

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Well I fitted mine a few days ago now with the black/red wire to negetive side of the coil and the yellow/green to the positive and it's all working fine.

Question:

if I have got the wires round the wrong way would the engine actually run ??? and if it does run with them round the wrong way, why??