wanted uprated coil(what and where from)

O

Odin

Hi guy's as above I'm looking for a better coil is they a better one out there or not?.

rob

O.K iv just replaced all of my ignition parts. So here goes.

If you are ONLY replacing the coil the msd blaster ss is the one.
There are a couple of others which may work aswell but i think that one is proven.

If you are like me installing a msd digital 6+ or similar get a blaster hvc 2 PN8253.

I discovered the stock coil in my car was on its last legs after installing the digital 6+ (big time missfires). So i would recommend everyone replacing ignition parts just go the whole hog and replace everything plugs, leads, cap, rotor and coil. The stock coil is like 14 years old and they dont last forever.

skiddusmarkus

My coil just gave up and died on me after being stood for nearly a year.Not nice on a dual carriageway in traffic and struggling to pass a Smart car :lol: .

Austin-where did you get all your ignition bits from and how much of a difference would you say they made?Are they compatible with aftermarket ECU's(Link,specificly)?

I bought all of my stuff from the US cheap with current exchange rate.

Im still waiting on the blaster hvc 2 so dont really know yet. The thing is its more for piece of mind that the thing isnt missfiring. With this coil and digital 6+ the sparks will be waaaay more powerfull so chances of missfires will be greatly reduced.

People running close to +20psi on the stock stuff are pushing their luck i reckon. Its probably o.k depending on the condition of your stuff with low plug gaps but i wouldnt do it.

Initial impressions on the stock coil is that it makes a huge difference to low rpm response. I was getting bad missfires up top because of the stodgy coil. If you read MSD's marketing guff you'll see why. Weather you believe it or not is another matter.

With the new coil i expect to be able to run stock or larger plug gaps with upto 20psi of boost without missfiring.... we'll see i guess.

I also have trick as 10.5mm taylor leads which are fvken awesomely made.

JU5TY

Thanks for the info Austin. :D

Think I may go for the MSD Blaster SS coil then. I’ve also got the 10.4mm Taylor leads and bought a new distributor cap and rotor arm.

skiddusmarkus

Are all lugs on coils the same size then for HT leads?

There are some Blaster coils on ebay for $19.99 and I think DemonTweeks sell them too.

S

stuart rawlinson

Ice man daz is running a C-4 Ignition coil runs well with this one think there about £85. and thats from Demon Tweeks

Stu

JU5TY

skiddusmarkus said:
Do you just strip the -+ wires back and wrap them round the 2 brass screws then to connect them up?
Yep, although I would use those proper electical ring connector attachments rather than wraping the wire round.

S

str_motorsport

i am also intrested in getting a blaster ss coil, but the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor cap is differnt from the standard one...which is the solution?fit a new wire ?where can i find it?
i already have magnecor wires...

I think msd might do an adaptor to go from our standard coil connection to the sparkplug like connection on those msd coils. I think it was actually a part specific to hondas not sure if it will work?? Have a look around.

I got a custom wire made up for mine by accell i think. 2 feet long so i can mount the coil on the passenger wheel arch. I dont think these coils are meant to be mounted on the engine (vibration). Even if they are o.k with vibration its probably good practice to mount it on the chassis anyway.

You must be carefull when selecting coils as the impedance and other specs may not suit our stock ignition. I think from what iv read the blaster ss will work without the msd ignition box. If it doesnt and missfires like crazy you'll know you probably need the box aswell. No harm in trying though.

S

str_motorsport

thanks for the info mate....
looking at previuos posts it look like the accel ss will work, but i will try to send an e-mail to msd to see what they have to tell....
will let know on the forum theyr reply.
david

O

Odin

I just bought one so I'll let you all know how it goes :wink: .

If anybody has a link to where I can fine a new coil wire that would be great :wink: .

rob

S

str_motorsport

ok mate, just let us know if it works!!!
i can't help for the new wire, because i live in italy and i don't know where to find one in the uk.
david