Bens Engine Rebuild

pulsar_stu

From what I've read of Danny, Martyn and Bob, its only slight modding of the cosworth gasket by the timing chain tensioner I think.

red reading

There's no hope if you can't get the sump off! lol

YOU NEED TO USE 2 BOLTS THAT THREAD IN TO THE PAN TO MOVE IT OTHERWISE IT WILL CRACK.

And remove the oil pickup too, and the 2 10mm nuts behind the black inspection cover.

just take your time, the first one is always a git to remove.

bensmith907

Ha Ha. it'll come off first time when you get that sort of abuse!

Havent got those bolts going into my gear box is there any other bolts I can use?

P

pulsarboby

done well if its done 15k since rebuild
yeah dead right it has done well seeing as its been on track and at nurburgring and cant be answerable for detting.....was only a stock build so thankyou martyn : )

Last edited by a moderator:

bensmith907

As predicted the oil tray came off straight away this morning, its amazing what a bit of banter can do! I didn't have the bolts from the gearbox so I used some from the alternator bracket

Hopfully have the piston out today or tomorrow depending how busy work is

danr

while there id replace the oil pressure sender and oil temp sender for 1/8npt ones. they will screw in to the 1/8bsptt holes fairly easily with some thread lock. or retap... (youll have to replace gauges though as of course nissan used their own senders on the R).

bensmith907

All those who said ringlands couldn't have been more right. This is number 3 piston, Both ringlands have about two inchs of damage. All the other pistons have simular damage too so I'm now in the business for some pistons!

Last edited:

pulsar_stu

What are the bores like?
When we opened mine up we were lucky the bores were ok, the ringlands were the same as yours tho.

What you going for? Forged or standard?

bensmith907

Right ok next question is- I've just measured the bores I.D and they all measure bang on 85.85mm what size pistons will I need?

bensmith907

Think I'll have to get a more accurate bore gauge the ends on my one have quite a big radius on them so I'm not sure its the centers touching

red reading

just measure with vernier calipers, you will probley find it is 86mm, the over bore sizes for standard liners are 86.5 ,87 ,87.5mm.