Spec & price for 650bhp pulsar please

vpulsar

I don't think their is anything wrong with the pulsar SR20 in fact I think it's a very good strong engine, Though different to the other rear wheel drive engines, The problem is the car it's bolted into and the lay out of the transmission that is the biggest factor in why I personally think 400-500 bhp is the max you want to try for, If I was building another pulsar from scratch then I would only build it to 350 bhp maybe 400 bhp max, But that's just my opinion after spending many years and many thousand of pounds going for over 500.

I'm not saying people shouldn't try, If that's what they want to do with their hard earned money in the middle of the biggest recession we've seen then good for them, Just that what ever you think it's going to cost then at least double it lol.

My Pulsar was at it's most fun at only 300 bhp it did low 12's at the strip was good on track, handled and braked well and was also totally reliable, It was still reliable at over 500 bhp but it cost over 30k to make it that way and wasn't pleasant to drive having a very stiff clutch and far to much power to be pushed to the max.

John

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I don't think their is anything wrong with the pulsar SR20 in fact I think it's a very good strong engine, Though different to the other rear wheel drive engines, The problem is the car it's bolted into and the lay out of the transmission that is the biggest factor in why I personally think 400-500 bhp is the max you want to try for, If I was building another pulsar from scratch then I would only build it to 350 bhp maybe 400 bhp max, But that's just my opinion after spending many years and many thousand of pounds going for over 500.
totally agree

Just that what ever you think it's going to cost then at least double it lol.
at least if not more than double especially if someone other than you is doing the work.

My Pulsar was at it's most fun at only 300 bhp it did low 12's at the strip was good on track, handled and braked well and was also totally reliable, It was still reliable at over 500 bhp but it cost over 30k+ to make it that way and wasn't pleasant to drive having a very stiff clutch and far to much power to be pushed to the max.

John

Mine ended up at around 450 and although reliable for years it was a far from the fun it was to dive when it ran a 2871 and 350 break. It was nothing to look at as I was concerned with go not show, so why on earth I spent 30k looking for power I don't know. Rob and i always said we should have stopped at 350 and just made the build as bullet proof as possible.

All water under the bridge and a lesson learned :-D

P

pulsarboby

The best example I can give is Craig's old drag car, which was previously Jason Gant's. That was running 530bhp last year with a Quaife gearbox running many quarter mile events.

The engine and gearbox are still sweet without any problems.

With my first GTiR a few years ago, 400bhp was the marker, then 500bhp and now 600bhp.

I think with the age of the car, problems at any given bhp figure are going to happen at some stage and yes, if you drive the car flat out, every day with lots of bhp your going to have some problems as you would with any car.

People will always be wanting to push the boundaries out as it is human nature and I think we should encourage this without giving someone a hard time saying "it can't be done".

650bhp out of a reliable GTiR road car is of course very unrealistic at the moment but if someone was willing to spend the money Im sure it could be done :)

no ones saying it cant be done danny
what i and others are trying to do is save the poor booger some money before he makes a huge mistake lol

so what if he does achieve 600 plus bhp!!!
whats he gonna do with it other than blow his transmission into pieces:lol: the power will be:
useless on the race circuit
great for dragstrip (assuming box does not explode)
useless for road driving
great for pub bragging, but your mates will get bored of the chat after an hour of bragging:lol:

if youve got endless pits of money to waste then thats fine but one day its all gonna go kabooooom! then your left with a 20k + pile of jap junk.
whilst your mates are swanning off on holidays etc etc and having the time of there lives running round in there focus st's or whatever, you'll be the one left skint as you lash out a load of wedge to try build it all up again and again and again:lol:

ollydj

no ones saying it cant be done danny
what i and others are trying to do is save the poor booger some money before he makes a huge mistake lol

so what if he does achieve 600 plus bhp!!!
whats he gonna do with it other than blow his transmission into pieces:lol: the power will be:
useless on the race circuit
great for dragstrip (assuming box does not explode)
useless for road driving
great for pub bragging, but your mates will get bored of the chat after an hour of bragging:lol:

if youve got endless pits of money to waste then thats fine but one day its all gonna go kabooooom! then your left with a 20k + pile of jap junk.
whilst your mates are swanning off on holidays etc etc and having the time of there lives running round in there focus st's or whatever, you'll be the one left skint as you lash out a load of wedge to try build it all up again and again and again:lol:
Well said bob, thats totally right!:-D

williams

lol, sums it well. im just going for a resonable power figure to try and have fun with it rather than be constantly rebuilding it.

Mad

I may be in the minority, but I am confident that you can acieive a reliable 550 - 600bhp out of the GTiR. Wether I do or not only time will tell but one thing is for sure, someone will do sooner or later. As for being useless on the track and road, I guess that depends on how the car is setup and mapped as there are plenty of other 2.0 litre Jap cars out there running this sort of power reliably.

The main reason that the GTiR is behind the times against the Scoobies and Evo's is that the tuners have invested all their time and money into R & D pushing the cars further and further ahead whilst the R & D for the GTiR is done by a few individuals and a couple of tuners.

If someone has a vision to take the GTiR to the next level, I think we should be supportive and advise of the pitfalls and instead of saying "It cant be done", change our thinking to "It hasen't been done yet".

My comments are not a dig at anyone but just a reminder that everyone has their own agenda / thoughts and that shouldn't be taken away from them, right or wrong. If Izmo wants to spend £20k on a pile of jap junk then fair play to him. He won't be the first and he certainly won't be the last. For some, the challenge of doing something not done before with a GTiR is part of the enjoyment.

Last edited by a moderator:

vpulsar

The main reason that the GTiR is behind the times against the Scoobies and Evo's is that the tuners have invested all their time and money into R & D pushing the cars further and further ahead whilst the R & D for the GTiR is done by a few individuals and a couple of tuners.
See this is where you are wrong my friend, The reason the R is behind all the other 2.0lt jap crap is that Nissan stopped developing the car over 20 years ago, All the Scoobies/Evo's and Skylines have been developed year in year out since the first models where introduced, In the case of the scoobies and evo's it's do to rallying.

The problem with the R is unlike the other two cars it has no newer models that have interchangeable parts unlike the evo and scoobie, No stronger newer engine no new stronger transmission and as you say no tuners with any interest in spending money and time on a 20 year old flawed shitter ;-).

If someone is willing to spend 20k on tuning a car for over 600 bhp then why not start with a better base in the first place that way you may just be able to have your cake and eat it to.

John

Empty Pockets

No offence but it sounds like you tried, failed, and because you couldn't, nobody else can. Obviously you could start with a better base but where's the originality in that ? If it was a thread about the best car to modify to 550-600hp then i'd have to agree, buy a supra or skyline, i'd rather watch someone try something different/new than read about another 400hp tried and tested build.

Would you lot like some cheese to go with all that whine lol

In my short period of Pulsar ownership this seems to be the typical attitude: pulsars are waste of money, might as well go and buy an evo/skyline/impreza etc.

Well if thats what you think and thats as constructive as you can manage, why don't you all clear off and do so? It seems very ironic to me that thesame people that are always talking about raising the profile of the GTi-R are the same people to talk it down at every opportunity.

For the people that have built big power Pulsars, why don't you share some the technicalities of the problems you faced rather than moaning about how you wish that you'd bought something else or gone on holiday more. You spent your money as you thought best and you're not going to get it back so stop being bitter.

For me I love wasting money on cars, I have always spent all my disposable income on modifying, tuning and manitaining the cars I've owned. I don't expect to get a penny of it back, but I get great enjoyment out of it. I really don't see that its anyone's bussiness how I or anyone else spends their money.

vpulsar

Well if that's what you think and that's as constructive as you can manage, why don't you all clear off and do so? It seems very ironic to me that the same people that are always talking about raising the profile of the GTi-R are the same people to talk it down at every opportunity.
QUOTE=Empty Pockets;433551]No offence but it sounds like you tried, failed, and because you couldn't, nobody else can. Obviously you could start with a better base but where's the originality in that ? If it was a thread about the best car to modify to 550-600hp then i'd have to agree, buy a supra or skyline, i'd rather watch someone try something different/new than read about another 400hp tried and tested build.[/QUOTE]

Actually I owned my pulsar for 10 years which I would imagine is a dame sight longer than either of you will, And I achieved all my goals power wise, I had a reliable 520 bhp with out any breakages, The reason I am trying to warn this guys off spending stupid amounts of money is that once he does he will come to realise that his car is just not as much fun as he thought it would be, Yes it will be fast but he'll be scared to actually use it in case it breaks.

But as I said in an earlier reply it's his money and after listening to all the positives and negatives of going down this path he then chooses to carry on then fair play to him, The point of a forum is for everybody to have they say whether you agree or not isn't the point, My point was that I've been there got the T-shirt and now own something totally different, Do I have fond memories of my 10 year pulsar affair, Of cause I do ;-).

John

Fair play John, like I said it would be interesting to hear the issues you faced and how you spent the 60K

On thing I don't understand why people have the fear of things breaking, I know its why alot of peolpe have ended up selling big spec cars (not only pulsars). If some thing breaks up-grade it. I fully accept that pushing a vehicle to 200 or 300% its factory power output increases the cost and risk of things breaking exponentially and as long as you understand that and that you will never see a penny of the money you put into tuning a car ever again I see no harm. Maybe its years of owning shit heap fords prior to the pulsar has made me more philosophical about it lol.

As for keeping the car, I wanted a pulsar since the age of 16/17 and waited 10 years before I was earning enough to afford a decent example and maintain it to the standard I want to, so I don't think I'll be getting shot of it any time soon.

Trip

Come on guys.. No one is trying to discourage anyone here. They are just trying to give a friendly advice about the many failure attempts in the past. I am sure that every guy on this forum would love to see our car go up to 650+bhp and beat the living crap out of the bigger brothers.

On the other hand without wanting to sound negative, one just simply cannot change the design of the engine, you can alter or modify it….but not change it. If the reliability in these engines lies within the design of the whole lump, one has limited options what to alter. I am sure Nissan knew what they were doing when they stopped the production after seeing there is no real potential in the car.

Look the RB26 for instance, they kept using it for 12yrs+, The 4G63 in an EVO was used for 15yrs. Subaru’s EJ20 is another example. Mind you, Nissan did produce other variants of the Sr20 which are capability to produce reliable high figures, but the SR20 we have wasn’t in my opinion a top of the chart engine for tuning

On the other hand, if you have time to research and have the skill, no one will stop you and your achievement will not be forgotten.

I am not one of those who are after huge figures but on the other hand, I bought the car to put my limited knowledge into practice and learn and develop new things. If they do not succeed, well and good but at least I tried new waters.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
JOHN DOE is ODIN............

must be....

uuuuuuum Could be .......... but John Doe uses the word "friend" too much and his screen name isn't some mystical all powering god :lol::lol:

edit. Martyn, you got me thinking now......his IP address is listed to be vvvvvvvery close to the aforementioned :shock: :lol: