Spec & price for 650bhp pulsar please

izmo

Hi people,

I have recently purchased a project pulsar with a knocking engine for £900. I would like all fellow members to guide me in the right direction to reach a reliable daily 650hp pulsar with reasonable amount of torque. Which spec engine, turbo, management, fuelling & transmission would be most suitable. And anything else which would be needed. My budget is 10k considering most parts would be bought secong hand. I want the car to be my daily driver.

Cheers

John

Reliable, 650bhp and Pulsar, sorry but they will never ever be in the same sentance!

As for even doing it, I very much doubt it on that budget. Anyone with a little knowledge of the Pulsar knows the box is the main issue on big power, you could easily spend half of that 10k on a dog box I would guess.

As for second hand parts, I wouldnt recommend it and considering there are few, if any, Pulsars running that power currently therefore you are probably looking at all new gear anyway. All in all 10k is nowhere near enough I would say.

Last edited:

izmo

Yes i know the gearboxes are weak. The budget can always be stretched thats not a problem. Ive bought the car to reach the traget. Engine is already out. Which block is good for that sort of power or can the standard pulsar block be linered to take that sort of power?

vpulsar

10k wont even buy you a engine that will be capable of holding together, Don't even think about trying you're a dreamer my young deluded friend.

The Pulsar can't even handle 400 bhp reliably let alone 500/600/700, If you want a 650 bhp car then go and buy a skyline which can handle those levels of power and is probably doable for 10k ish.

The Pulsar is a fantastic little car if tuned and modified well and by well I mean kept to a sensible power level that it can just about handle if maintained properly.

Give up on your dreams of silly power it can be done but the rewards are not their I'm afraid, A big power pulsar isn't that great to drive and loses just about everything that made it so great in the first place.

John

Mad

Izmo. 650bhp can be acheived and would recommend anything over 600bhp to have steel liners fitted. This is going to come into the realms of "Is it really worth it" as the cost is going to escalate very quickly.

Personally, I would recommend pushing for around 550 - 600bhp which is going to be at the car's limits anyway, turning the power down for everyday use. Power is all important but if you also focus on reducing the weight of the gtir (which is light anyway) as well, it will dust most other high performance vehicles anyway as will be a lot lighter.

As for gearbox, the PPG is the only thing close to handliing that sort of power but will still have its problems.
Turbo would have to be a GT35r with the 1.06 turbine housing if you want over 600bhp.
ECU - Would probably recommend the Haltech for over 600bhp or Apexi is good for the 500's.
Injectors Im guessing would be 1000cc's +
To get 650bhp is going to cost you £20k + and thats without any mishaps.
500bhp + is more realistic and with second hand parts could be done for circa £15k. Others have spent far more than that but as Im on that route myself I have a pretty good idea of costings.

vpulsar

1000cc injectors wont get you to 650 bhp, I had 1000's in mine and where maxed out at just over 500.

It's all totally irrelevant though because it's just never going to happen, Some Muppet might actually achieve the power but the car wont last 5 minutes before it blows itself to bits.

Just except the pulsar's limitations and we'll all be a lot happier ;-).

John

izmo

Izmo. 650bhp can be acheived and would recommend anything over 600bhp to have steel liners fitted. This is going to come into the realms of "Is it really worth it" as the cost is going to escalate very quickly.

Personally, I would recommend pushing for around 550 - 600bhp which is going to be at the car's limits anyway, turning the power down for everyday use. Power is all important but if you also focus on reducing the weight of the gtir (which is light anyway) as well, it will dust most other high performance vehicles anyway as will be a lot lighter.

As for gearbox, the PPG is the only thing close to handliing that sort of power but will still have its problems.
Turbo would have to be a GT35r with the 1.06 turbine housing if you want over 600bhp.
ECU - Would probably recommend the Haltech for over 600bhp or Apexi is good for the 500's.
To get 650bhp is going to cost you £20k + and thats without any mishaps.
500bhp + is more realistic and with second hand parts could be done for circa £15k. Others have spent far more than that but as Im on that route myself I have a pretty good idea of costings.
Perfect mate thanks. What sort of torque can be expected from 500 to 600 horsepower? I was also thinking power FC but i would need a Z32 MAF. Is the Haltech ecu Mafless setup?

Cheers

Mad

750cc injectors have been used to acheive 530bhp on a gtir with a Z32 and increased fuel pressure. Its not all about injector sizes on how much bhp you can run.
I would have thought 500lb + feet should be acheivable with that sort of power, if not more but depends on your overall setup of the car.
A z32 is going to max out from 500bhp although some say it is good for 550bhp. A Q45 is a better alternative however I would say the Haltech setup is your best all round option.
Personally, I would set your sights on 500 - 550bhp which is realistically acheivable and get your weight as close to 1000kg as 500bhp per tonne is going to waste most cars on the road.

willgbr

We have gone with a Vipec ECU with MAP sensor instead of MAF, a custom made fuel rail, 1400cc injectors, aeroquip hosing for fuel lines, custom swirl pot, duel fuel pumps and fuel pressure regulator.

vpulsar

We have gone with a Vipec ECU with MAP sensor instead of MAF, a custom made fuel rail, 1400cc injectors, aeroquip hosing for fuel lines, custom swirl pot, duel fuel pumps and fuel pressure regulator.
I did away with the maf as well, Makes things a lot easier in the long run, Torque all depends on what turbo you use. I used the gt3076R with external 48mm waste gate and got around 520 bhp with 450 ish ft lb's, More boost would of got me more torque but then you have to cope with the extra heat generated by the extra boost, It's a vicious circle or rather a big fat money pit of endless modding to cope with more and more heat.

John

vpulsar

I have to say some of you just say yeah it can be done do this and do that and you'll get there, With out any thought or advice about the pitfalls of going down this rout. It isn't simple and it most definitely isn't going to be cheap, You will need to try things then try something new when to first thing didn't work and the costs will just spiral out of control, I'm not trying to be negative just realistic. It's better going into it with your eye's wide open rather than looking through a pair of rose tinted specs.

John

M

markwashington

This is a debate thats been raging for the 20 years the Pulsar has been around, If you want a car making a reliable 650bhp, buy an evo, skyline, scooby, RX7 or supra. A Pulsar just won't be reliable with that power, let's be honest a pulsar is bearly reliable with 400bhp. If you're desperate to do it, I guess the costs of the parts alone would be 15-20K and if you're not going to do it yourself the labour will probably be as much.

You've then got to think of running costs, something will go wrong every time you drive it, I assuming its not going to be a daily driver and therefore you will have problems with it being sat around not being used, and if you do use it reguarly you'll have problems with parts wearing out and breaking all the time.

If you've got money to burn then have a look at this for the sorts of parts you'll need for 500bhp

http://www.norrisdesigns.com/proddetail.asp?prod=gti-003505

and their engine spec.

http://www.norrisdesigns.com/proddetail.asp?prod=gti-005101

They also do a 600bhp conversion although I dread to think how much that would be, I think you'd need to win the Euromillions for about four weeks in a row.

If you do decide to go through with it fair play and I'm sure if you ask there will be people here more than willing to give you a hand and you'll find all the information you need to theoretically make that power. :-D

Dangerous Dave

This is a debate thats been raging for the 20 years the Pulsar has been around, If you want a car making a reliable 650bhp, buy an evo, skyline, scooby, RX7 or supra. A Pulsar just won't be reliable with that power, let's be honest a pulsar is bearly reliable with 400bhp. If you're desperate to do it, I guess the costs of the parts alone would be 15-20K and if you're not going to do it yourself the labour will probably be as much.
If this is the case why are we not putting evo/scooby lumps in the R i would of thought someone would of done it by now?

maybe this lad could be the ginnie pig?

Dont take it the wrong way but if you are after that kind of power and you say you have the coin why not go down that route? find a engine/box that can handle that power and fab it all to the R.

skiddusmarkus

Try and buy one with the hard work done already ie all the block and head work and gearbox etc then worry about turbos and ecus.Personally I think its an unrealistic target for a private owner and should only be attempted by a tuner or competition car owner.
Do you plan on running the car in standard trim?You could lose 250kg out of the car and would then only need 500ish bhp to get the same performance.Its possible but there won't be much left.I don't see that it would be any more impractical than a 650bhp engine though in a full trim car.