Raising the compression?

Braveheart

Nice build... hope it goes well.
Think running the engine in on stardard setup could be a very good idea!
You can happily bed the rings in knowing your fueling is not going to fluctuate that much.
Then when it comes to the serious mods, you know your engine is good!

GTIR-LOZ

has anyone actually broken/bent a rod ive not seen one that i can remember??

i run mine in with the standard injectors but with uprated turbo 3071 just turned the boost controller off so it never went over 0.9 bar you should have no problems with it then as the fueling can cope as long as you have an afr gauge to check

smoked

thanks for the input guys, it gives me food for thought. I guess what rob is saying is correct about the cams, they can be fitted later in situe, wether rods are needed or not it would be easier to "insert" them now and it is piece of mind.

what fuel pump is recomended over the walbro?
and back to my original question...........do i need cams to see that sort of power?

chris

davey red.r

the bosch fuel pumps are as good, if not better, than the walbro,
you would need to keep your fuel tank quater full, all the time, with the bosch senario.

davey;-)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
didn't you still have the standard wiring on your Walbro rob ? if so that would be why your pump didn't cope.
Re-earthing the pump and direct wiring to the battery via a relay will sort out full power to the pump.

Fusion Ed

I cant remember for sure what pump I used but I /think/ it was a walbro that i got 460bhp out of. Allen may remember better. Re-wiring it however is a good idea. OEM wiring is like door bell wire.

Ed

Radleigh

Ignore this post, I was having a bad week :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm keeping my car, Just gotta wait until I start back working again, then I can carry on with my plans.... :D

steven_c

speedo mph to km

How do i set my clocks back to km? its running mph at the moment.

there is nothing behind the clocks etc like the black box etc, what else can do it?

frp

do you still have the original speedo face on as some people swap this instead of using a convertor? other than that their must be a device somewhere :? have you tried near the ecu itself?

steve

steven_c

i have swopped the clocks back to the standard gtir ones (the black ones that read kph) and while i was doing that i checked for the black box behind the clocks but nothing there the wires were in perfect order no cutting

Will check near the ecu..

GTIR_Dan

strange gearbox problem

i was driving along last week, went to change from 4th to 5th, it came out of 4th fine, but then it wouldnt go into 5th or any other gear.

It made no crunching noises, and its not stuck in any gear.

Ive been underneath, disconnected the gear linkage and the shaft that comes out the gearbox wont move into any gear so i know its not the linkage.

gearbox Oil level is fine and was only changed a couple of hunded miles ago.

Do you think its worth taking the box apart and seeing if its something simple or should i just get a 2nd hand box?

noriek2003

i had the exact same thing happen years ago, turned out the 5th synchro hub had cracked and abit fell out and got wedged into the selector mechanism, stopping it doing anything.

easy enough repair if you own at least half a braincell and a bearing puller

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Don't quite a few people find them in the engine bay near the fuse box?

Worth a look - I'll see if I can find a clicky.

Ideal matey, no need for a security device on mine, cant move anywhere, gearbox has eventually locked up the other night out in it lol!!