how much have you spent on your r?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
tro|| said:
£20,000 for a 900bhp pulsar, no chance in hell, you'd struggle to build a well spec'd 500bhp car from scratch for that tbh.

Well I think it could be done... Maybe £25k...

What sort of money were you thinking..?

Rishi

T

tro||

RishiGTiR said:
What sort of money were you thinking..?
at least double that.

Billet Engine(2L - 2.3L) - £4000
Drivetrain - £6000
Suspension & Diffs - £3000
Turbo and Cooling - £2000
Management and Fueling - £3000
Wheels & Tyres - £1000
Interior Gauges, Seats and Harness - £1000

Total Cost - £20,000

Result - 500bhp to 900bhp Monster depending on the desired spec with the above build costs..
for starters theres approx £700 worth of nissan parts to go in a fresh engine, oil pump £340 (assuming the standard pump is good enough of course) timing chain, tensioner and guides is approx £200, gasket set is £180 iirc, pistons and rods are going to be approx £700 at the cheapest, stroker crank minimum £1000, headgasket average £140, liners £200, bearings £100ish (£3560 so far for parts) then you have the labour for machine work to the block including liners £900, cams, pullies, springs, retainers approx £1000, forget the standard valves doing 900bhp so you'll have to go custom, new guides and extensive headwork at least £1000. All the arp stuff as a bare minimum £200, On top of all that if you cant build it yourself a minimum of 20hrs to build it at £50phr :total £7660 for bare engine at the very least.

drivetrain (gearbox and clutch about £6k so agreed) but standard prop and driveshafts wont be good enough so add at least £3000 probably loads more tbh, now up to £16460

suspension : half decent shocks £1000, all the polybushes and whiteline shite approx £500

total so far £18160

turbo : actual turbo £1000 minimum, manifold £1000 minimum, wastegate £300 minimum, exhaust all depends on what you get so for arguments sake lets say £500, turbo lines £100

£20760

cooling: electric waterpump and controller £250, custom rad as you wont be getting anything based on standard dimensions in there £300, decent intercooler £400, pipe run £150

£22060

managment: got to be motec or similar and dizzyless ignition, coilpacks, custom loom etc.etc £3000
£25060

fueling : 3 bosch 044's, fuel cell, swirlpot, plus fuel lines minimum £2000, injectors , fuel rail and fuel reg at least £600

£27660

wheels and tyres at least £1000

£28660

brakes at least £1500

seats at least £600 including mounts

gauges at least £800 as you wouldn't want to rely on old shit and would want to see everything

harnesses £300

full road cage as you'd be off your tits without one £700

not mentioned in your list but would be needed custom inlet £600 minimum.

£33160. not lncluding any mapping, rolling road time, build labour costs other than engine build which tbh will be more like 35hrs, all the silly bits that would be needed, chasis strengthening and things i've forgotten or priced wildly out of any realism...or any vat, duty or shipping as obviously you wouldn't be buying alot of it in the uk..lol

my guess is you'd be nearer £40,000 (doing it all yourself) plus the base car and that doesn't take into account breaking anything , realising it isn't good enough or running nitrous

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazz

So Rob, 40k plus say 5k for your base car...

That gives u another 1k you've blundered somewhere!!! :) We'll call that a tip to the rebuilder...

So, 7-900bhp fella, now up that boost and see if you've got your values worth!!! :p :p :p

Oh hindsight....

I'm on the 400bhp path, have to stop there now as 40-50k ... ouch...

Rishi, I'm guessing you're around the 50k mark now then at least... did you get your final bill?? more to the point will she be ready for the rolling road day sat week???

Rishi

tro|| said:
at least double that.

for starters theres approx £700 worth of nissan parts to go in a fresh engine, oil pump £340 (assuming the standard pump is good enough of course) timing chain, tensioner and guides is approx £200, gasket set is £180 iirc, pistons and rods are going to be approx £700 at the cheapest, stroker crank minimum £1000, headgasket average £140, liners £200, bearings £100ish (£3560 so far for parts) then you have the labour for machine work to the block including liners £900, cams, pullies, springs, retainers approx £1000, forget the standard valves doing 900bhp so you'll have to go custom, new guides and extensive headwork at least £1000. All the arp stuff as a bare minimum £200, On top of all that if you cant build it yourself a minimum of 20hrs to build it at £50phr :total £7660 for bare engine at the very least.

drivetrain (gearbox and clutch about £6k so agreed) but standard prop and driveshafts wont be good enough so add at least £3000 probably loads more tbh, now up to £16460

suspension : half decent shocks £1000, all the polybushes and whiteline shite approx £500

total so far £18160

turbo : actual turbo £1000 minimum, manifold £1000 minimum, wastegate £300 minimum, exhaust all depends on what you get so for arguments sake lets say £500, turbo lines £100

£20760

cooling: electric waterpump and controller £250, custom rad as you wont be getting anything based on standard dimensions in there £300, decent intercooler £400, pipe run £150

£22060

managment: got to be motec or similar and dizzyless ignition, coilpacks, custom loom etc.etc £3000
£25060

fueling : 3 bosch 044's, fuel cell, swirlpot, plus fuel lines minimum £2000, injectors , fuel rail and fuel reg at least £600

£27660

wheels and tyres at least £1000

£28660

brakes at least £1500

seats at least £600 including mounts

gauges at least £800 as you wouldn't want to rely on old shit and would want to see everything

harnesses £300

full road cage as you'd be off your tits without one £700

not mentioned in your list but would be needed custom inlet £600 minimum.

£33160. not lncluding any mapping, rolling road time, build labour costs other than engine build which tbh will be more like 35hrs, all the silly bits that would be needed, chasis strengthening and things i've forgotten or priced wildly out of any realism...or any vat, duty or shipping as obviously you wouldn't be buying alot of it in the uk..lol

my guess is you'd be nearer £40,000 (doing it all yourself) plus the base car and that doesn't take into account breaking anything , realising it isn't good enough or running nitrous

Agree with some of that but not all of the pricing... But its probably a more realistic figure...

eg. Malhe Piston Kit and Forged Rods w/ARP = £420... another £100 for Billet Rods

eg. Custom 0.5mm oversize valves were something like $17 each here in the US.. ;-)

Gives you all some idea what some of us have spent... Its not pretty...

Fazz - Final bill? Not sure what you meant there.. I didn't use one place for it all... I bought all the parts myself. Engine built by an engine builder and machine shop. Gearbox built by a gearbox builder etc etc... So bills have been coming in bit by bit... All good though... Not added them all up and i have no intention of doing so... :lol:

Rishi

Last edited:

stumo

eg. Custom 0.5mm oversize valves were something like $17 each here in the US..
i spoke to Ferrea last week about 1mm o/s valves**, they would be about $55 each.

** that's about the max size on std seats

Fazz

RishiGTiR said:
Fazz - Final bill? Not sure what you meant there.. I didn't use one place for it all... I bought all the parts myself. Engine built by an engine builder and machine shop. Gearbox built by a gearbox builder etc etc... So bills have been coming in bit by bit... All good though... Not added them all up and i have no intention of doing so... :lol:

Rishi

Just meant final bill after Project GTiR700 is complete...

We'll call it 60k so.... :p

PS - what is with the small i anyway?? GTI-R better.! must check my badge... :)

Rishi

yes you just go check your badge!... And the brochure... Not to mention the GTiR logo at the top... :lol:

And just because i like it that way... ;-)

Rishi

Funny thing is, once youv'e finished spending 10,20,30k on it when you go to sell it you'll be lucky if anyone will offer more than £6k for it:shock:

Rishi

I have no need to ever sell mine... So never will so its nothing i will lose really..

If i do ever sell it then i will just accept it...

Rishi

Nigell_d6

In total so far, £21,000 plus odds and sods and still not touching 400bhp,
another £10 to 15,000 to spend, always has been a cheaper way to let some other bugger do the mods and then buy off them,

no fun in that and would mean you got to take the missus out more often

Nigel:-D

O

Odin

Nigel_d6 said:
In total so far, £21,000 plus odds and sods and still not touching 400bhp,
another £10 to 15,000 to spend, always has been a cheaper way to let some other bugger do the mods and then buy off them,

no fun in that and would mean you got to take the missus out more often

Nigel:-D

I think you've hit the nail on the head their Nigel 8) , People keep going on about how much we are wasting our money on are cars, But (A) it's our money to waste. And (B) I get a lot of enjoyment out of doing the work and the research myself.

Plus I've never drunk or smoked in my life ;-) , And how much cash have these know it all's pi55ed up the wall in the local pub in their life times as well as smoking themselves to death :roll: , Which I end up paying for when they become Ill with cancer or liver problems and end up in hospital draining the national health service resources:roll: .

Plus as Rishi said I'm never going to sell mine because this will be the last fast car I ever build, If I buy another car it will be a classic and not anything moden, And of cause I'll still have the Pulsar anyway 8) ;-) .

Rob

A

abmunro

£5250 initial price 10/10/2000

£18,000 on mods and rebuils since.

maybe recouped about £500 selling old bits from it...

value now "PRICELESS"

Nissan GTiR a car for excentrics....

MarkTurbo

Thunder God said:
Plus I've never drunk or smoked in my life ;-) , And how much cash have these know it all's pi55ed up the wall in the local pub in their life times as well as smoking themselves to death :roll: , Which I end up paying for when they become Ill with cancer or liver problems and end up in hospital draining the national health service resources:roll: .
My liver cant have long to go now, i'll think of your wallet paying for it when it comes to transplant time :lol:

Wonder how much i've pissed up against the wall :shock: Nothing better to do at work so i'll get the calculator out, be back in a few hours when i've added it all up ;-) :sad:

Nigell_d6

I have a file in excell with all the bits I do with regards to the white one and a second file with regards to the black one,

the white one ive spent the money, the black one has been rebuilt to a similar spec but had the bits on it before being blown up, the fun is driving the white one knowing its yours, every squeek, knock, whistle, took me 2 months to find a vibration, everything came apart till i found it, so money spent, nothing really yet, money needed, whatever it takes.

Black one, till its rebuilt and someone else takes it to enjoy, money spent, very little, money to spend, as required

would I do the same with any other car, No, would I buy another R and spend the same again, yes, so who gives a shit about the amount really, we have what we want within our own personal budgets, and try not to do what Jimmyback did, and then have to do it all again,

nigel Cheers Rob

Last edited: