GTiROC – The Future?

vss irvine

more people must have an opinion on this topic? surely this is the time to speak up if you have some input, or ideas?

for all the piss taking and carry on we see written (in other threads), this thread must be one of the most important to the future of both this and the modifiers?

lets be honest most people are signed up to both?

if the same people speak all the time then theres no feeling for what everyone else has to say? us gobshites need some help sometimes!

GTiR_Mic

there is a lot of valid points here.
but for me, who has'nt got the cleanest of r's, i think lookin through the members section looking as some real nice cars with nice spec's then look at mine that could do with a few quid being spent on it, i personally feel ( poss others) that if i did turn up to shows/ meets would feel a bit embarressed with the shit box i'v got! ( im now spending all the cash i can get to have my car up to scratch for jts)
Well it actually happened the other way around, there was a load of people at one of the events down south & some smart arse said that all the cars where crap....trying to hint that his was the best.

If no one speaks up nowt will happen to change the place, it is like your work if your not happy you speak up to sort it out......well do it here.

You are past help Martin ;)

Mr GTiR

Why not merging with the modifiers site if the numbers look low? Or is that forbidden?
The problem you have with that is who claims responsiabilty for booking the stand, chasing memebers for payment, etc. The biggest problem will be who's marque / banner goes up?

Events:
Andy (Mr GTiR) requested a while ago that someone else take over organising the events but to be honest there are very few out there with his kind of contacts. Andy if you can find someone then we will gladly look at taking them on.. Saddler may be a good choice here as he is already making good headway with the Anniversary Meet.
I don't mind helping out but just don't have the time to do the day to day stuff.

JIMMYBACK

some very good points there people........... i haven't been a very good member as of late.lack of work poor running history with the R blah blah blah been there got the Tshirt
i would deffo like to attend meets with the car running?
for one what happened to dooie pop pop

as soon as my car is sorted this year(if it not ill set fire to it) ill be out and about

ive been around this forum for about 8 plus years but only a proper member for 7 years and there has a noticeable difference in the quality of content in the forum in the last couple of years
i joined as soon as i got my first pulsar back when i was 23!!!
all the interesting members seem to be hiding or moved on?
where is all the inspiration gone

Last edited:

RU55 GTR

I've been a paid member for a short time (today infact). I joined as a non-paid member years ago as I've always liked GTi-R's and wanted one, but was too young and couldn't afford it. Now I am a proud owner. :-D

I am and have been a member of several different car forums and they all have this same debate. This is not a bad thing, the members are what make the club and they should have a voice. Club's need to evolve and, we (the members), should guide this.

Now, in my opinion, there are some very valid points here and a few particularly stand-out to me:
> Language, discussion and banter - Clubs, as people, always have mixed views and attitudes. Banter and fun should be encouraged, but insults, slurs and general anti-social behave should be severly discouraged. In the end of the day, we are all here socially, in some manner or form, with some business envolvement. Therefore, a friendly and approachable environment is what is needed.
> Events and meets - This one is always the pain in the ass with every club. Lack of commitment is the biggest one! I've arranged and I am currently events, but all too offen I'm let down by people who just don't do as they say. This is people for you, but the club could assist by sub-sidising or giving incentives (I read free track-passes in the past!!!!! Please!!!! :shock:). I am also a member of the SXOC (as a few of my friends have SX's) and they arrange really good big events and it is heavily sub-sidised by the club. May be some joint ventures are in order?
> Management of the club - The first thing I will say, which I believe tends to be forgotten, is to remeber that most people who take on the positions of rep's or moderators etc, are volunteers and do everything as well as their job. For that I think we should be greatful. They may not always be right and they may need guidance, but give them respect for doing it in the first place! Maybe some fresh blood is needed? I've read it several times throughout this thread.

Now, the above are my opinions and maybe not everyone will agree. I don't mean any offence, but atleast by throwing my ideas into the box, we, as a club, can through out the rubbish and enjoy the good-stuff!?!?!?

Now who's interested in a track-day??? LOL :lol:

All the best and hopefully meet some of you soon! :-D

Russ

GTiROC.COM :thumbsup:

nismogtir400

some very good points there people........... i haven't been a very good member as of late.lack of work poor running history with the R blah blah blah been there got the Tshirt
i would deffo like to attend meets with the car running?
for one what happened to dooie pop pop

as soon as my car is sorted this year(if it not ill set fire to it) ill be out and about

ive been around this forum for about 8 plus years but only a proper member for 7 years and there has a noticeable difference in the quality of content in the forum in the last couple of years
i joined as soon as i got my first pulsar back when i was 23!!!
all the interesting members seem to be hiding or moved on?
where is all the inspiration gone

Totally agree with you JIMMYBACK. Ive been a GTiR owner for about 6 years (formally jaigtir) and was a member when there was only a small number of us. With my Gtir being of the road for nearly 2 years, i did slack off big time from coming on the site. When i first got my GTiR i used to enjoy attended all the meets. We had quite a big group that used to turn up e.g Bluewater Meets. Everyone used to have a good laugh and enjoy themselves.Whatever happended to people like britts, turblio, kieron(still gay i presume) etc....
To be honest hardly ever see any Gtir's on the road anymore. Used to be quite a few in the Kent area.

Now that my car is back on the road, i will definatly be attending any meets that may be happening hopefully to meet any old school members and new members alike..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
M

mynheers_a_pint

I have only just stumbled across this thread and i am still not sure if posting is of much value- I've been a member for 2 years (ignoring what it says to the left) and i think the problem is the same as any owners club catering for early 90's cars.

It is a cold hard fact that as cars become cheaper, the wrong types of people buy them. Define that how you will but it is the truth. For a community as small as this, a large proportion of these people will inevitably become members of the various owners clubs and here is where the confrontation lies- the older, wiser ilk confronting the younger less experienced chaps. Where banter is great fun when it is taken the right way, people un-used to this style of conversation (especially where full English is used!) it suddenly becomes insulting and spirals from there.

I must say, that i personally liked the no-nonsense approach. I've been part of too many forums where people expect to have their basic questions answered perfectly every time, or where they expect text type to the accepted. The ones i stick with are the ones where this is not tolerated and frankly i like the adage that a forum is NOT a democracy, it IS a dictatorship. If the people running it don't like what is being posted it shouldn't be open for debate. HOWEVER, there is a complication here in that people have paid to be members and as such expect a certain level of input so it is up to a dedicated moderator/ admin team to filter the crap in order to keep the forum a valuable resource.

As has been said, Rob acted as an exceptional crap filter and had to be fairly thick skinned to take the crap he did as some of the comments could have been perceived as a lot more than just basic banter. But that is an outsiders point of view so i could be wrong. So there's where the gap lies in this respect; a forum like this needs a BS filter and someone to deal reality checks in the same way Rob did.

Add to this, the frankly lacking events scene this forum has. Ignore for a second the fact that event organisers seem to have limited input, but there is a distinct lack of presence at outside events. DJCC and various other clubs post on here regularly to drum up attendance at their meets and frankly i have NEVER seen another Pulsar at these meets with the exception of Japfest last year. These are not chavy car park meets but friendly pub meets where generally nice people meet to talk about cars and general crap. I guess the question is what do people want? track days? RR days? Pub meets? Tescos car park Kruz'z?! I have organised countless meets for forums including offering our pub as a location and things have been fantastic, but i am dubious about offering here as i am not convinced the members will turn up!

Perhaps i expect too much from a forum devoted to a relatively rare car however the knowledge-base here is unrivalled and it would be a shame for it to fizzle out.

Possibly more than 2p but you've got my input :lol:

wiseman gtir

some very good points come up here i posted a thread in the meets part a bit ago an only got three names. yes i no that's a start but it has took me longer than i expected to do my car i,e all the mods :oops: but it's all about done now pic's will be up in members r's soon. Right back on topic as said in previous post if the lad's from scotland want to meet half way i,e newcastle i am sure i can sort some thing out.
Banter well we can all take the piss as long as it dose not go to far :-D
as far as the site is concerend there has been 880 veiws an only 48 post's so come on.
how about a meet up at TOTB if people are going

snoon

meets = too many of us are power hungry and for that we are mostly fixing rather than driving the R meaning most events aren't an option!

Mr GTiR

meets = too many of us are power hungry and for that we are mostly fixing rather than driving the R meaning most events aren't an option!
That's no excuise, my car has been of the road longer and more times than I care to remember but I still manage to organse meets and attend shows.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
As members we do need to have our input, especially paid members. I think it’s important that everyone should have their say.

It’s a shame that as members we can not get the numbers together to make events a success. I know last year at one show the Civic Jordan OC had more cars than Pulsars; bearing in mind that they only made 500 Jordan’s it does put things into perspective.

I’m not one for putting negatives on everything and I have a lot of enthusiasm for the club and want to see things get better. Not long ago I was talking to Andy (Mr GTiR) about TOTB and perhaps organising something more substantial, like a gazebo, banners etc etc,

I do believe that image is important and brand awareness is also a fundamental area that needs to be addressed.

Looking at MLR they are a business no doubt, but their attention to detail, effort and presence cannot be denied.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have an Evo so that I can participate in their community? I’m not a great fan of their cars, but seeing their organisation gives me the feeling that they have no problems when it comes to shows or events.

I’m not expecting for things to change overnight, but if we can maintain consistency with event organising, provide evidence that we can host events well then I think that the community as a whole will be more positive and perhaps attendance would be much more successful.
:-D

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
To be honest, one of the reasons I don't turn up to meets is that I don't feel my car is up to it at the moment. - Maybe that's the biggest problem; too many members have their cars in bits, or the bodywork rotting, and they don't want you to see it.

Would I like to go to JTS (or something similar)? Yes, but not if I'm going to have to listen to other people (not necessarily GTiROC members) giving me sh!t about the old girl and telling me I need to get the rust fixed. I know that already, it's not a show car. :doh:

Same thing with RR days; I'd love to go, but I don't want people telling me how much more power they make than me... and how sh1t I am because of it, but it's my daily driver and I need to focus on keeping it on the road and reliable.

Track days; again, I don't want to break my car by flogging it to death on the track. Do I like the idea of going around and practising cornering etc? Yes, but I don't want to hear about how bad my car is set-up for the track... and I don't want to spend money on extra rubber and pads (although at this rate I'll have spare rims coming out of my ears).

I did come up and see the NW guys not that long ago, and I'm really glad that I did. I'm pissed that I didn't make it to watch the Blackpool rally with you too. - If there was a North Wales meet I'd definitely be there.
I like the idea of just having a regular meet whether people commit or not; last Saturday of every month at XXX. I think that building those routine contacts and friendly faces will make people more keen to turn-up at a national meet. If nothing else, it'd make me more comfortable to know that I'm not the only one who needs to get some rust cut out and get a respray done... or that the amount of time I spend under the car with my toolbox is normal. :thumbsup:

Am I paid-up? No, because I'm not actually sure what I'm getting for my money, and there always seems to be something better to spend the money on (like wishbones and bushes in my case :doh:)

I like the site. I like that we insist on using an acceptable level of syntax and gramma. I don't mind the banter, especially when you've asked a stupid question (or made a silly observation); it's the sledging I don't like.

Anyway, that's my 5p's worth in the pot.

Last edited:

pesh90

Been reading all 6 pages and i should be alseep after finishing a nightshift :doh:...Been a member on here for what feels like a decade :lol:

MEETS/EVENTS

Someone goes to the trouble of organizing a meet or an event and you get loads of people excited a massive list goes up who will be attending, yet they drop like files when it gets to that all important day...I'll tell you why its because we spend to much time fucking about (me included :oops:) trying to get a zillion horse power out of ancient relic which should be in a museum :lol:

People have mention MLR and SXOC and various other clubs that have organized club events/meets and how good they are..we are not in the same league...you lot keep forgetting we own a moneybox even with a goverment bail out we could'nt get all our R's fixed in time for a major event :lol:

I will write more later but i'm so tired its not even funny, if it does'nt make sence then your probably right should have gone straight to bed :oops:

R

riske

Everyone seems to be singing from the same hymn book. In order for meets to get a good turn up and to look good, people need to be more committed and actually turn up. I too agree with pobody about turning up with a car thats perhaps not looking at its best and being made to look a fool. But i would still turn up. My clutch fork has recently broke and if this is fixed i will be attending every meet and show i can this summer if all goes well, touch wood. I will be arranging meets for the south east once my car is sorted as a few of us are still finishinf bits off and wouldnt get a good turn out otherwise. I personnaly have the shittest paint job on my bonnet im ashamed to bring it out but am willing to attend meets with it.

If we did merge the OC and modifiers sites for the meets to get better numbers this would cut the costs in half and actually help everyone. Both banners for both sites can be put up and we all sit next to one another. End of the day we all own a GTiR or GTI or sunny and are in the same boat...sinking expensive boat. lol we cant be compared to the mlr or sxoc because they out number us 100 to 1.

Best thing we could all do is aim for the 20th annerversary next year and try our hardest to get the cars in shape for this and blow everyones mind with the biggest meet we have ever had! Come on lets do it lads we have enough time. Just pull your fingers out! x

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I too agree with pobody about turning up with a car thats perhaps not looking at its best and being made to look a fool. But i would still turn up.

Best thing we could all do is aim for the 20th annerversary next year and try our hardest to get the cars in shape for this and blow everyones mind with the biggest meet we have ever had! Come on lets do it lads we have enough time. Just pull your fingers out! x
Oh - when I went to the NW meet last time it was great to see that other people have their Nismo muffler stuck together with exhaust putty, and that nobody's car was quite perfect (Geoff's R looked decidedly like a Honda 4x4 :lol: ).
Absolutely no pressure or judgement, very helpful advice, and I got to hear Jim explain his principles of suspension and fuel map tuning... it's just a pity I couldn't make use of it! I scored a replacement front ARB from Geoff, I got a pint in my belly, I went home happy.

If I knew that something like JTS was like that I'd go, but I think it'll be all the Honda fan boys telling me how good their VTEC is and why 92" super-chrome deep-dish alloys with rhinestones are teh shizit... and why that makes their no-power Civic granny mobile better than a Pulsar.
I guess that MLR etc have the adavtage of new cars being built... and so new members... and variety because not all parts and advice apply to all cars.

I'm defintely planning for that 20th aniversay; RNN14-002XXX makes mine one of the old ones!

R

riske

I look forward to seeing you there dude!! lol. Hopefully i'll have a new bonnet and my gum gum exhaust wont fall apart lol. Seriously if those honda boys want to say shit about my pulsar they are going home in their boot.

saddler

:shock: There Is nothing to be ashamed about if its a pulsar Gtir. bring it to jts.. screw all the other clubs.. if you thought about what other people say you would not own a pulsar,,

saddler

I look forward to seeing you there dude!! lol. Hopefully i'll have a new bonnet and my gum gum exhaust wont fall apart lol. Seriously if those honda boys want to say shit about my pulsar they are going home in their boot.
I will be help you lift them in..:)

P

pulsarboby

seems to me that judging by all the comments made that the club is divided into 3 categories, these being

1) track day buffs like myself and a fair few others
2) those that like the general meets, road convoys etc
3) those that are ashamed of there cars for fear of being ridiculed if there not up to scratch or running 20 zillion horse power:lol:

i can see what pobody is saying and i think its a very honest statement thats perhaps shared by a few others too that havent posted.
all i can say to that is 'who cares' i couldnt give a monkeys toss what people think about my chaved up piece of tin which is held together with pop rivets and tie clips:lol::lol:
surely the idea of events is to meet like minded enthusiasts not the people in the honda club or any other come to that, or to show off to others about how much money you have spent on your particular car, when others may not be so well off.

its to put names to faces, have a good crack, and maybe learn a few things or get a few ideas from like minded enthusiasts:
but for those with tiptop cars such as jon saddler etc it does give them the opportunity to show off their cars in a mini style show n shine day! but this by no means should make others feel that their particular cars are inadequate, as many others will also have rotten arches etc!

anyway i may have come up with an answer to the above 3 groups ive labelled, so hows about this....

what about we actually organise a meet at a trackday venue somewhere around the middle of the country???
we could even make it a 2 day thing for those like myself and others that have to travel a fair way.
we could have convoys from various parts of uk to the venue (being a pub b+b near the track in question) all go out for a meal and pissup the night before:-D
then the following day actually hold the meet at the trackday venue (nearlly all tracks have huge car parking spaces for spectators etc and it will cost you nothing) there are good burger and tea facilities already on the track grounds so that takes care of all the greedy fcukers:lol:
the best bit about it is you dont have to take your car on track, you can go out for a passenger ride if you wish (which im sure myself, andy and a few others would have no objections to) and for the rest of you that want to talk about cars, mods, or what your plans are for your rust bucket then you can do so with like minded enthusiasts with a beer in your hand and more importantly 'without feeling uncomfortable' you can even bring the g/f or wives along if you wish and they can all go off and talk about nice pretty things as girls do:lol::p

now surely something like this makes sense and will cater for everyones needs, its also gonna be a cheap day or days out fot those that are not participating on track.

perhaps the club could even throw in a couple of trophies for best turned out car of the day
fastest lap time for those on track etc etc, just a general fun day alround!

Last edited by a moderator: