GTiROC – The Future?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
GTiROC – The Future?

I’d like to share some points I’ve had about the site that I feel need to be brought to attention.

Over the years I’ve been here I’ve seen many changes to the site, such as the running of the forum, events organised, the people involved and the quality of the content.
When I started ownership of my Pulsar the GTiROC was something I was proud to be apart of. We had many members that spent their personal time refining, developing and tuning their cars to aid and assist other members as well as their own personal gain. Over the months and years I’ve seen a steady decline in overall performance from members and the forum.

I’ve seen staff leave, events dwindle and overall activity with the GTIROC fall.

Now I’d like to point out that I’m not having ago at anyone, nor am I pointing any fingers or trying to take sides. I’m making observations about the site and hopefully this might spur something good from it.

Basically what plans are for the GTiROC, where its future is going and perhaps some changes?

I’ve made a few sections below that I’d like to discuss and perhaps stimulate it into some forwards motion and perhaps see some good come out of it

My 1st point of call is: Staffing

I would like to make a point that over last year ( 2008 ) I noticed the presence of admin and moderator staff has become less and less to the point that in 2009 we only have 2 moderators remaining and 3 active admin staff.
I know that some staff members are not on as often as they can be due to work commitments and other responsibilities, which is understandable. Others have stepped down or moved on, but what is happening is that these people are not being replaced with existing member’s who are motivated or are showing enthusiasm in the site - I stress for the right reasons.

It would be good to see some new moderators added to the site aiding the overall running and housekeeping of the board as well as keeping idiots at bay!
Another area I looked at was perhaps having people as dedicated “events co-ordinators” to look after things like shows, trackdays, TOTB and so on.
No-one seem’s to have any responsibility for this area; if we do attend a show say: JTS (Silverstone) later this year, we could do with banners, stands and/or perhaps some flags.
You look at other owners clubs as the MLR, the Supra OC or the several Impreza clubs around the UK they out class us by miles.
We don’t need anything as mental as their set-up, but it would be nice for our OC to be organised with some sort of presence and backing.

These are areas that seem to be neglected and it would be good to see something done about it and given that kick start it needs.

My second point of call is: Housekeeping.

This is linked to the staffing, but it was something that I feel needed a separate section.
The overall form layout is good and works fine, however there are area’s that could do with updating at cleaning up, stickies removed or edited and so-on.
There is also an abundance of text talk and poor spelling.
Granted no-one is perfect, but there seems to be more and more text talk making its way on to the site along with some very poor spelling. Again this might be due to the lack of moderators, but an area that seems to have got worse and the rules seem to be ignored!

My 3rd point is: Events

You know what I’m going to say next, but it’s true – we just don’t seem to have much going on here.
I know right away that a lot of this comes down to the members and for people to stump up the cash and attend events, but perhaps that could change?

When it comes to events we don’t have to do every show under the sun, but I do feel that we need some sort of organisation or a team (as I said earlier in the post) to deal with this area and really take the time and effort to organise events for members.
The only National GTiROC meet I’ve been to was the JapFest meet in 2007. Not a bad event, but we lacked the class of other clubs with our organisation, and club layout.
We had no banners, no information about who or which club we were (don’t want to get mixed up with any other club, do we?!?) and when you see other clubs organised with all that “tat” that comes with it, we looked unprofessional.

Even if we only have 1-2 national meets a year at least we are going in the right direction. The national meet at JapFest with track time was an excellent idea and made a change from the norm. If we could have something like that again it would be a real boost for the forum and members.
Again that also depends on us as members to turn up and make the effort also, but I can’t see why that would be an issue in the summer months.
I’d also like to point out that events don’t have to be track based, JAE used to be an excellent get-together of members, camping, drinking etc etc.

Organisation is the key, however I can see both sides of the problem, as members we lack commitment and reliability and for that why should people bother to spend time on events if we don’t attend.

Perhaps we should break that cycle?

Last on my list: attitude

Forum attitude seem’s to becoming very wussy. What was once a site that liked a good joke seems to be turning into a handbags paradise.
Where has all the banter gone?
At the GTIROC, the mentality is different from other site and that is what makes us different.
On here people don’t (didn’t) talk crap and when they did they got put in their place.

That worked well, it keeps most of the crap off the forum, can we have that back please?

Summary

Its not rocket science, but I genuinely want to see more going on here. I’d like to see some new blood and ideas injected into the site and help it move forwards.

I’m not asking for anyone to step down, far from it; however we need to start making an effort here and not let standards fall.

If anyone else wants to comment on this then whether its admin, moderators or members, I’d like to see what people have to think and whether I’m way off or people are thinking something similar?

Cheers
:)

Mr GTiR

A lot of very good points their Andy. Your correct in saying that we do not have enough staff and dedicated event organisers. I stepped down from organising shows a while and asked for that role to be filled but I think it fell upon deaf ears!

As well as staff being under the spotlight I think a point has to be raised about members not being more active within the club. I spent a lot of time organising shows and chasing people up for payment and getting them to attend shows but always got the same poor response! This was quite evident when we organised Japfest 2007. I mean FFS we could not even get enough people interested as we was giving away free track time (to paid up members).

It's all too easy to blame the staff but don't forget it's the members who make a club a success.....some food for thought.

P

pulsarboby

here you go lol, not covered all but some of it!

what you have said there andy i have thought for ages!

i reckon someone like yourself would make a good mod as you seem to have the getup & go to put things into practice, the site definately needs some fresh blood with fresh ideas but in reality its not gonna be that easy to achieve i think youll find.

a lot of it is to do with the fact that these cars arent so sought after anymore (myself and others are partially to blame for this) by saying that i mean with regard to the breaking of them.
it seems that when s/h prices drop then so does the value of cars, not only from a selling point of view but also from the point of view in which they then become less sought after.

now the cars are cheaper they then become affordable to younger people so along with that, you then get all this text speak crap. ive nothing against the younger members 'ive met many' and most are nice lads that have a genuine interest in cars and want to learn more about them, but have to agree that some need to get rid of all the gangster black talk shite if they want to be taken seriously!
but i guess some of us need to think that 'we were young once' its just a fact of life that change happens and sometimes you have to go with the flow or get left on the shelf, and by that i dont mean that im gonna walk round talking like a gangster nerd lol!

banter is a good thing too but then sometimes banter can be misinterpreted as just taking the p1ss, then this leads to confrontation (as has recently been seen)
ive met most of you's on this site and i think its good to be spoken to as you speak to others.
in reality ive got a gsoh but i dont like taking crap from people i dont know 'unless of course its warranted' christ you dont get a bigger p1ss taker than stumo and he always got back what he gave but never any malice in it and thats in real life not tinternet, so do you see what im saying here!
ie would you walk up to a stranger in the street and call him a fcukwit without expecting some sort of retalliation?:lol: so why say it (internet or not) to people you dont know!
unless your looking for a good ruck
what im saying is that there is good hearted banter and then theres just taking the p1ss out of someone for the mere sake of it because that person finds it funny and thinks others will too, that to me is bad!
if warranted however then yes they should get slated, as in some recent threads ive seen on both sites which do warrant being slated:roll:.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
...banter is a good thing too but then sometimes banter can be misinterpreted as just taking the p1ss, then this leads to confrontation (as has recently been seen)

what im saying is that there is good hearted banter and then theres just taking the p1ss out of someone for the mere sake of it because that person finds it funny and thinks others will too, that to me is bad!
if warranted however then yes they should get slated, as in some recent threads ive seen on both sites which do warrant being slated:roll:.

It’s been in my mind for many months now Bob, but I feel that its time that we bring these points and issues forwards.

Banter is always good, but on internet forums it’s certainly harder to distinguish people’s motives and attitudes from comedy and a joke to actual hostile comments.

A level of professionalism has to be enforced yet whilst maintaining good relations and good mature banter; whether that applies to the GTiROC or in an office environment it’s important to make that clear.

However as for the topic I started, I don't want this to turn into a thread about peoples attitudes and experiences with other members, but more about where we need to go next and how we should get their whilst getting feedback from members.

John

I have to agree with Andy, things seriously have slipped.

To be fair I have only my R coming up for 2 years and been a member on here about 18months but I still think my opinion does count.

When I first joined I decided to become a paid up member. Now apart from a members pack which took about 8 months to come (I know it was a transition period but come on), there seemed nothing else to be gained from being a paid up genuine member.

Indeed the one Scottish meet that has occured in my time on the forum (RR day at extreme) my R was engineless, but none the less one meet in that length of time is shocking in my opinion, I know the car has a limited owners base but it doesnt take much to setup a couple of meets every year.

The reason I decided against renewing is for the amount of money you pay which is very high compared to alot of other owners club you get virtually nothing in return. There is no dedicated forum where only paid members can chat, something that every owner club Ive been on has had, keeps alot of the riff raff out and the money doesnt seem to go back into the club, or indeed it seems that way, maybe someone higher up can clarify where all the members money actually goes.

As for the way the forum is run I cant complain, compared to other forums the amount of text talkers is low, aslong as you enforce the rules it will stay that way, but with Rob now being gone more people need to be brought in to help as he was great and getting rid of those annoying threads.

Most of the members on here are happy to help and advise on issues but it just seems in terms of organised meets there is very little and for the money you pay for membership you get nothing, if that could be sorted it would revitilise the forum.

Anyway just my 2 cents!

John

vss irvine

i agree with most of what has been said in the last few posts,

and i do beleive some fresh blood is what is required.

70-80% of new threads will have the answers already on the forum somewhere. if this was closely monitored it would cut out alot of piss taking and whinging.

yes, there is alot of mindless pis s taking but theres a very fine line between piss taking and banter. it all comes down to the person on the receiving end and how they deal/react to it.

personally i havent bothered re-newing my membership this year due to the fact that i dont think its worth it.
maybe its time to let members vote in some new moderators, id gladly pay my subscription to get a say in this.

i also think an area that has to be taken into consideratrion is the amount of non-paid members involved with the forum, these members will make up a greater part of the membership than paid members.

if the membership fee was brought down, more people would join, thus more money would be raised, as would the paid members involved with the oc

if the gtir 'scene' is to have any chance of a future, it needs more cash, more enthuisiasm and new/fresh ideas to keep it going.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

However as for the topic I started, I don't want this to turn into a thread about peoples attitudes and experiences with other members, but more about where we need to go next and how we should get their whilst getting feedback from members.

sorry andy i came across wrong there.
i wasnt basing it on one particular thing, although after reading what i just wrote it does come across as such.
but i do honestly think thats one reason why this club is now down on members (hense the shortfall in turnouts at events) people look at all the bitching and stuff and think 'fcuk that' if its like that on a forum then whats it gonna be like at an event lol.

perhaps im barking up the wrong tree, but thats just my opinion!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
sorry andy i came across wrong there.
i wasnt basing it on one particular thing, although after reading what i just wrote it does come across as such.
I understand what your saying, just didn't want others going off topic :thumb:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Having been on GtiR forums since the yahoo days, a fact of life of the forum is the opinion has always been that is never as good as it used to be.

I think the OC is as strong or as weak as its ever been. There are lots of people still around who have been here as long as me but equally say less nowadays as they have other commitments.

I think there are more trackday enthusiasts around now then ever before with all sorts of experience filtering through.

There are as many interesting projects still going on too from show cars to hill climbers people are just more reserved nowadays I think.

On the plus side, the general knowledge has grown now so one bar mongs are replaced by 400hp mongs (me inclusive). 5 years ago we were having arguments over fuel cut defenders and though it was amusing the arguments have moved onto 3071's etc.

Now there is an intersting back lash to the power is king with a whole range of developments away from the engine bay.

The regional side in the NW is what has made me keep my car as it the efforts of Andy to have meets and the support of other people when chips were down that stopped me from burning it and walking away.

From a national level it has weakened, no doubt, I think this is partly a function of the petrol price. The membership fee becomes insignificant when put next to a £100 fuel bill to go to and from a show stand somewhere. Also the fact that my own car used to make my ears bleed when driven for longer than 2 hours and it was lucky dip as to whether it would come back didn't exactly motivate.

We need at least 1 meet a year as a national club but with Scotland being such a big pat of the club nowadays then central is around Newcastle for some!

membership fees are a tricky one, the cost is not significant but whetehr it should be halved to encourage more members to take ownership of the club and to stop the accounts from bursting.

Maybe the funds should be used for calendars and stickers etc rather than major events. Build a collective spirit through smaller items.

Just initial thoughts.

Jim

paz

Lots of good points from all so far, and an excellent starting post by Andy. I would echo the thoughts of Bob in that I think you would make a good staffer Andy.

I've been on here now for years, and was one of the younger members at the time when I signed up (circa 21). I only mention that because I could type/punctuate a sentance properly, as well as partake in some banter - so if I could do it, there's no reason for everyone else not being able to.

From a club perspective, I just feel like we are the poor relation. I went to JAE last year with mates, and over the whole weekend saw 1 pulsar. Now thats shocking in my opinion, particularly when you have clubs for shitbox Nissan Micras and Primeras that can manage turnouts of 20+ cars. I genuinely think people would go to meets like JAE if they were organised, because not much beats sitting in a field in the sun surrounded by nice cars, enjoying a BBQ, some good conversation and a nice pint of lager 8) I do also think there should be some track events, as some people are into thats side of things - personally I just don't have the money to pour into a car to make it perform happily on track.

We really do need to get some banners, flags, leaflets, tents/awning/gazeebo's and a variety of other bits and pieces to make our club stand out more. Even a few years ago at JAE, we only had a hired gazeebo and a banner - which no offence intended to the people who arranged that looked dump. We need to spend some money and invest in the club if we want to raise our profile.

On the forum, I think its moderated quite well. To be honest I don't believe that moderation is needed at all if a club is running correctly, it should moderate itself in terms on content, but there will always be a need to move theads between different forum groups etc. People who are on the site and have access all day every day from work are your best bet here :thumbsup:

Paz

Fire & skill

Vintage member
the difficulty in organising events is when people say they will turn up and they dont, we used to have a stand at knockhill, it gave us ten places with our own club stand, we had good numbers at the start and even managed ten turning up once. we have since lost our space due to only two cars turning up at the last event we attended.

the knockhill thing was perfect for our region as it was central for everyone. If we get a good level of support for it I will ask for us to be included in the next super sunday event.

Our last RR day (which was the whole of Scotland) was good, but we only managed 5 or 6 cars . . . .

ChrisS

Ive been on the forums since the yahoo days also, back then 300bhp was a real milestone and following the progress of cars like ivan's and alan kyte was fantastic. I also got a lot of help from the likes of Ivan in how to change gearboxes ect. and think its absolutly fantastic that that sort of help and assistance along with knowledge is out there.
Ive met a fair few people off the site and all seem really decent people. I would love to see more events being organised but time after time it would seem people are up for the idea but dont then materialise. I thought about trying to organisea r/r day over my way for the early part of the year, as andys north west one isnt a million miles away to travel to but obviously is at the back end of the year. Would be nice to get a comparison over the year especially if doing work to your car ongoing. Fact is i simply dont have the time to do it, and any of the mods/organisers out there that do put the time and effort in do deserve thanks for what they do.
My 2 peneth

P

pulsarboby

this thread is a prime example to the meets
loads of people viewed it but only a few opinions when it comes to the crunch:roll:

needs more people to write down what they honestly think about everything to do with the club in order that something can be done to make it better

if you think its good the way it is then say so

R

riske

Very good points have been made here and it was time that something has been said. I think more people need to use the search function and not be lazy and add to the 100 other same threads. I agree its down to the members because if they cant be bothered to attend or join in the forum events etc then you cant blame the staff. There have been and are ample opportunities for people to attend meets but when it comes down to crunch time they fall out. Bobby used to try and get people involved in track days but again it fell through because people didnt pay or turn up. I'm 21 and could be seen as the new generation but there are generally some of us that love the R and just because we are younger doesnt mean we should be treated like kids or idiots. We have opinons and are allowed to express them. Bring on the banter if needs be because i love a bit of banter. Lets take this forum to another era and i look forward to being here in 20 years time trying to motivate the next generation of members lol. Lets see how the silverstone meet goes just to prove how many can be bothered. I will be there if my car is fixed... that could be said for most of us.

saddler

A National Day is a must to raise the profile of this club..
And to get a Members only Forum area's is a great idea
I would also like to see a return of the gallery,,:doh:

pulsar craig

i dont actually think its that bad as it is tbh, but i also think the area reps need to do there job and start to organise some meets or step down and let someone thats willing to do it take over, it really is`nt that hard to organise a monthly area meet, and regardless of the turnout weather its 2 or 22 pulsars that turn up its all raising the profile of the club.

pulsar craig

I think more people need to use the search function and not be lazy and add to the 100 other same threads.
i dont actually agree with that, altho alot of the questions have been asked numerous times before if everyone used the search button everytime they had a problem it would cut down the activity on the site in half, alot of the times new members join up its because they have a problem with there car so they ask if anyone can help them out, also if the get some good knowledgeable replys it makes them want to return and at the same time its a good way for them to introduce themselves on the site.

so altho the search button is a good source of information its not always the best thing for people to use

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
i dont actually think its that bad as it is tbh, but i also think the area reps need to do there job and start to organise some meets or step down and let someone thats willing to do it take over, it really is`nt that hard to organise a monthly area meet, and regardless of the turnout weather its 2 or 22 pulsars that turn up its all raising the profile of the club.
i agree with craig:thumbsup: i will put myself forword to be the rep for the rep of ireland because ian [ fazz ] is a m3 man now :doh:
as far as the site goes i think its very good and most off the lads are sound :thumbsup:but i have to try and get the irish lads back posting again because i miss the banter with them and as far as shows go i was at JTS last year and i saw maybe 7 gtirs on different stands and only two were members of GTIROC thats not good enough :oops::oops:

R

riske

i dont actually agree with that, altho alot of the questions have been asked numerous times before if everyone used the search button everytime they had a problem it would cut down the activity on the site in half, alot of the times new members join up its because they have a problem with there car so they ask if anyone can help them out, also if the get some good knowledgeable replys it makes them want to return and at the same time its a good way for them to introduce themselves on the site.

so altho the search button is a good source of information its not always the best thing for people to use
Ok so you wouldnt suggest to someone the search when they come on here and there first post is "Hi what oil do you use for the gtir" or "I'm new and i cant change a headlight bulb" come on that type of thing is just annoying. I have learnt alot since coming onto here and searching through posts picking up little hints and tips. Fair enough say hi and hows everyone doing and tell us your spec etc but come on here and express no common sense is asking for banter.

In order to get a good knowledgable response is to post a good question. Dont you agree?