Bobs buggered engine thread

P

pulsarboby

boucherie said:
bobby, did you get my email with the pics of the bottom end, to my knowledge the crank should be fine
cheers
ian

yes ian, will be in touch in the week fella;-)

P

pulsarboby

got a 1.2mm hks steel headgasket! whats this ive heard about reusing it but coating it with hairspray! does it definately work?

if so what does the hairspray actually do? other than hold its curly bits in position:lol: :lol:
ive heard of this a few times in the past, but never fancied trying it myself, but i paid a lot of dollar for that h/g and if i can safely re-use it then i will.

will post up more photos of the damage when ive stripped it down today!

P

pulsarboby

here is the sorry state of my engine!
worse than i thought, pistons and bores are fcuked, not good at all. very very p***** off.

photos to follow

MarkTurbo

If you still havent worked out how to put photos up and need someone to do it i'll be around tonight ;-) Unlike saturday when i had drinking to do :lol:

And yes hairspray will work to re use an hks headgasket, thats whats holding mine together :lol:

gtirx2

I reused a metal head gasket 3 times and it was fine,but then i reused it with a head that had a rough skim job and it leeked.
I think its fine to reuse a metal head gasket as long as your block and head surfaces are in good nick.I think the surfaces have to be 50ra smoothness or something like that to seal properly so it was my fault it leeked on the fouth outing anyhow.
Also sorry to hear that your bores AND pistons are fooked:cry: but in a strange way i look forward to seeing the pics;-) :lol:

P

pulsarboby

cheers mark, send me your email again and il send them now

O

Odin

MarkTurbo said:

That looks nasty :shock: :doh: , Bobby your photography skills are worse than mine :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Are they forged pistons ?, If so that was some really class mapping :shock: :evil: .

Rob

P

pulsarboby

thanks mark, none too pretty is it, just goes to show what can happen with immense overfuelling:shock:

bores were washed clean of oil, rings and ringlands overheated due to metel on metal friction, leading to the horrible mess above.
blocks boogered too as it was bored out to 87mm and the gaulging must be 1mm deep in places!
basically the engine is now fooked:sad:

boucherie

OUCH, that does not look good at all, is there no way you can get the block bored out or do something with it other than scrap it?

what other parts are you going to need or will what ive got in my spare bottom end be plenty to get you back running again?

gtirx2

That is bad:shock: What do you think happened to the side of the piston?
Bore washed then hung up on the bores then got major blow by and melted them?

ashills

oh dear now rob please explain how damage to the bottom half of the piston would be due to mapping wouldnt the crown have been damaged first looks like bobby might be saying sorry to someone

P

pulsarboby

Odin said:
That looks nasty :shock: :doh: , Bobby your photography skills are worse than mine :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Are they forged pistons ?, If so that was some really class mapping :shock: :evil: .

Rob

yes my photography skills are somewhat lacking. and yep wiseco forge pistons with teflon skirts.

and yes rob, a true classy bit of mapping which has cost me a lot of money and time, but il say no more on that!

just be warned everyone, forge internals are not indestructable, wrong fuelling will booger your engine in no time at all!

P

pulsarboby

boucherie said:
OUCH, that does not look good at all, is there no way you can get the block bored out or do something with it other than scrap it?

what other parts are you going to need or will what ive got in my spare bottom end be plenty to get you back running again?

will have the bottom end off you ian please, and il get the block bored out.
will order some more pistons in from the states unless your still flogging yours (uprated that is)

P

pulsarboby

gtirx2 said:
That is bad:shock: What do you think happened to the side of the piston?
Bore washed then hung up on the bores then got major blow by and melted them?

in one:-D
too much friction and heat due to lack of oil, then kaboom, meltdown!

P

pulsarboby

ashills said:
oh dear now rob please explain how damage to the bottom half of the piston would be due to mapping wouldnt the crown have been damaged first looks like bobby might be saying sorry to someone

quite the opposite alan, think that someone owes me an appology as well as money for postage and breakages, as well as damage done to my engine

will get some tomorrow kieron no 3 is coated in oil and the other 3 are sooted in black

Last edited by a moderator:

ashills

bobby come on mate the top of the piston is perfect the bottom is damaged how can you still keep this up

looks like its been run in softly like you said in a post earlier when it was rebuilt then when it had some heat through it the expansion made it catch scrap etc but i may be totally wrong

gtirx2

Yep the bores have definitely run dry by the looks of it and it has almost tryed seizing itself by the look of the bores:shock:
Another option for your engine is the 2.2 big bore kit from here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SR20DET-2-2-Liter-Big-Bore-Kit-SR20DE-SR20-Darton-CP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33623QQihZ008QQitemZ180115842575QQtcZphoto
and then atleast you can keep the block?
But saying that i think for the price it costs to fit the liners you could proberly source another block,plus the liners at 90mm bore are at there limit they can be bored to,but saying that a standed block at 87mm bore is at its limit also.