Air filters

skiddusmarkus

Did a bit of reading on people using blow through's on Z32 maf's and they said they seemed to start leaking around 1.2bar so not much good for most people without one of those alloy pipes that you plumb the 'leccy bits of the z32 into.

How come blow throughs are better anyway and if you swapped to one would it alter things enough to require a remap?I know Spikey said he did it and it improved response, but how come?
Its all got me thinking again anyway and I might try out a pipe similar to those people have been putting pictures up of.

Edited to add, found a few key points on blowthrough maf's:

Blow thru. Pros
- Fastest A/F ratio changes
- More accurate
- Eliminates 99% of idle problems
- Meters exactly how much air is going into the motor, not how much is in the intake.
- Easier to use BOV
- Can use atmospheric BOV
- Totally eliminates recirc setups

Blow thru cons.
- MAF more prone to heat soak (can be minimized by using a good intercooler)
- If not properly placed on the intake side can cause hesitation in motor.
- Can be hard to hook up.
- Can get oil in MAF fromsupercharger / turboleakage.
- Can't use certain methanol injection kits (like Mr. Freeze)

Last edited:

skiddusmarkus

Oh i can make them have loads in stock. in 3" ?
Good idea, would be nice to offer ones with a 1" return for people running recirc valves too.Looking around on the net, blowthorough z32 maf housings seem pretty expensive so that might be an idea too as they can be used on other cars and not just limited to these shitboxes.

Spikey

Good idea, would be nice to offer ones with a 1" return for people running recirc valves too.Looking around on the net, blowthorough z32 maf housings seem pretty expensive so that might be an idea too as they can be used on other cars and not just limited to these shitboxes.
can be done. On the housing side its best machined to be able to screw down the circuit board. Something im looking for next year. even though i have several prototypes.

danr

blowthrough would also eliminate leak issues, as it is metering air after all the pipework just before it enters TB.

here

Last edited:

Spikey

Well i have opened my z32 used Lock tight sealant and re sealed the lot. so this should be ok. I will see how things progress.
Also have done it on a Subaru and seems to be fine with no Issues.
Of course a Metal housing is the Future. But worth Every Penny.
If anyone wants me to modify it for them just let me know.
Can also be done on the std Maf.

Spikey

This is the one im using. and i have even flared the Pipe so it sits in the reducer for Max flow.
Fully resealed.

Last edited:

danr

i think all the resealing tricks have been done, and prove to last about a month or so.. but looks good, and kudos for taking the time

123 gtir

another problem which i have is my z32 airflow.

my airflow is not consistent on low revs and when i remapped the car we had problems in getting this right as it was not reading properly on setup.

i have a spec R inter cooler with boxed air filter but wounder if my z32 is to close to my filter its about 8 to 10 in * or is it i have 2 s bends which on hear it says does not matter*
its running very rich as my spark plugs are black.

but most of all the car is cutting out on me when i first jump in it to drive need to rev it at junctions or it will cut out on me, not enjoyable to drive .replaced the sensor on the plem still the same ..

maybe i need a short s shape pipe to solve this broblem... or do you think the neck of the air filter is to big but i read on hear bigger the better ? heres a few pics

any more info i will right back and any help will be great news to sort this problem out.

going to read more on this thread any info be grear news to get my car running again

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx225/gtirchef/20111024_150933.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx225/gtirchef/20111024_142244.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx225/gtirchef/20111021_153256.jpg

Jon Olds

Like this thread, and the thought that has gone into the relocation. Must have a go myself, using the std MAF

danr

if its been mapped, then it should run rich on WOT anyway (to cool cylinders with extra fuel).
with the filter in a box, where's the cold air feed? and is this compromised at low speed (no air)?
turbo spinning down will draw air through maf when coming to idle from speed (so ecu will chuck fuel in thinking you are on throttle etc.).
like red_reading suggested, increase your base idle to try counter act this.
also a pipe from maf to turbo with 2x 45 bends would be better.
also, check the spliced wires on the maf plug. there are 2 earths from z32 maf, only 1 needs to be connected. the other can be left un connected.
another problem which i have is my z32 airflow.

my airflow is not consistent on low revs and when i remapped the car we had problems in getting this right as it was not reading properly on setup.

i have a spec R inter cooler with boxed air filter but wounder if my z32 is to close to my filter its about 8 to 10 in * or is it i have 2 s bends which on hear it says does not matter*
its running very rich as my spark plugs are black.

but most of all the car is cutting out on me when i first jump in it to drive need to rev it at junctions or it will cut out on me, not enjoyable to drive .replaced the sensor on the plem still the same ..

maybe i need a short s shape pipe to solve this broblem... or do you think the neck of the air filter is to big but i read on hear bigger the better ? heres a few pics

any more info i will right back and any help will be great news to sort this problem out.

going to read more on this thread any info be grear news to get my car running again

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx225/gtirchef/20111024_150933.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx225/gtirchef/20111024_142244.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx225/gtirchef/20111021_153256.jpg

Last edited:

123 gtir

thx for your post Danr did you have a look at the pics,,
as i think i do have 2 s shape pipes and i was woundering if this is my problem instaid of a short pipe going to the frount light..
but i will check out the wireing on the z32 m8 t,y for the post,
come on lads what have you done to help chef out :>

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
also you are running an aftermarket euc?
Yes. He's got an AEM in it... which means advice about fault code checks and so on probably isn't valid (although I'm sure it has it's own procedure).

red reading

thx for your post Danr did you have a look at the pics,,
as i think i do have 2 s shape pipes and i was woundering if this is my problem instaid of a short pipe going to the frount light..
but i will check out the wireing on the z32 m8 t,y for the post,
come on lads what have you done to help chef out :>
convert your car to a blow thru maf and get it mapped to suit, it sounds as if you have reversion and/or turbulence and also a boost leak as that will give you a rich running situation.

danr

if you havent already, adjust idle up to about 1000 and see if it still does it.
do you have software to monitor the aem via pc? look afr voltage, timing etc while running, log it all.

edit. i'll also say looking at pics, the original z32s had a plastic pipe from maf to turbo. this absorbed any vibrations from engine, blowback on dump etc from turbo (was a source of maf inteference). your maf looks solid in that box. but just a thought. (although im guessing all this should ./ could be mapped out)...
id get rid of box, or at least the side where the I/C pipe goes through it.
id lose the foam hks and get a cotton cone.

Last edited:

danr

i know, but then he'll know whats doing it. so can move on
unless he already knows it is maf, turbulence etc.
then blowthrough seems the best way to cure.
as i had this on standard maf also,