White Smole, water 200deg C+

bensmith907

Over view (looking down from just in the spark plug hole)

Looking down on the Piston

You can see the oil sitting on the piston

This is looking up at the valves as you can see there is oil all over the place

Last edited:

bensmith907

Bores look good and it looks like the oil is coming from the top. Ill check my turbo tomorrow. but that doesn't account for the loss in compression

bensmith907

ahhhhh! just checked my turbo! no up/down movement, no Left/right movement. Plenty of in and out movement. I suppose thats gone too then!

where can I get a recon kit?

red reading

You can't recon a turbo at home as you need a vsr balancer (about £150000 to buy), I may have something of interest.

red reading

And looking at those bore scope piccy's you have had detonation and also melted the ringland..............did you fit a ecu and not set the timing/ check it on a dyno?

bensmith907

I did Have a det problem back in july august time when I came over to your place and you pointed out my timing which has been bang on since. Fitted a Mines ECU about a week before the smoke started.

I dont have a Balancer at home. but I may have a gas turbine Balencer at work. not sure if it will work on something this small though I will have to ask the guy that works on it.

Last edited:

red reading

so you fitted the ecu and turned the boost up but did not check it on the dyno? (or at least have someone check with det cans?)

red reading

True, but didn't you think about it at all....i mean you work with gas turbines so you must have some understanding

bensmith907

yea im just a novice at cars though. People tell me the Mines is a bolt on ECU Im not going to question it. Everyday's a school day and I just learned an expensive lesson.

bensmith907

Should I be worried about my oil pressure? It just hangs around the first line. I seem to remember it going further.

MarkTurbo

If you're going by the standard oil pressure gauge i wouldn't always rely on it to be accurate, but if you've got to rebuild it anyway you'd be silly not to rebuild the oil pump with a new set of gears.

bensmith907

The oil pressures have always been good on the gauge up till the engine started giving way. is it not more likely something isn't holding pressure somewhere. I know the turbo is loosing oil but would that account for that much loss?

Last edited:

bensmith907

I need a shopping list for an engine rebuild. just the standard stuff at the mo untill I get the head off and see the extent of the damage

Apparently-
Cosworth gaskets are better than HKS
Nissan Head Bolts are better than most aftermarket ones

Is there anything else Ill need?

P

pulsarboby

you should not need anything else but you wont know untill the head is removed and you inspect everything

the head will more than likely need skimming again and you may need to go with a 1.5mm gasket as it would have already been skimmed once or youll be running a high compression ratio.
seeing as your using car on circuit i would also be inclined to fit a set of cp 86mm forged pistons but you will need to hone cylinders and check ring gaps, all this can be done with engine in situ