weight saving tip

DownunderGTiR

so far i got it down to
changing battery(smaller dry cell)
remove aircon
spare tyre
ICE(need only 4speaker and a head unit)

i would not like to go for carbon/fiber glass because it's too expensive for my case of power/cost
in the future i would like to get a new set of lighter wheel also.

would there be anything eles that could help me shave of some weight?

Hai

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
gunmetalgtir said:
Plastic windows, remove the rest of the interior (carpets, sound deadening etc.) and fit some lightweight bucket seats.
As above, the sound deadening is meant to be quite significant but a pain to remove.

gunmetalgtir

What do you think the weight of an R would be if it was stripped out of it's full interior minus the two front seats and the dashboard?

youngsyp

Replacing the OE spring and damper set up, with coilovers almost halves the component weight. Plus, this will be unsprung weight so, even more performance gains are seen !

Front seats are also very heavy (and give cr@p support) !

All surplus rubbish under the bonnet you don't need, is free weight saving although, probably farily minor.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

DownunderGTiR said:
would there be anything eles that could help me shave of some weight?

Hai

biggest weight loss will be your gutt if you have one:lol:

keep off the fosters and you could lose maybe a rear diff's weight! (no offence meant):p

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
biggest weight loss will be your gutt if you have one:lol:

keep off the fosters and you could lose maybe a rear diff's weight! (no offence meant):p
That'll be VB Bob, none of the Aussies drink that Fosters Pish !! :lol:

J

jpward

You could also go to the extremes of using a hole saw to cut holes in the A and B and C pillars

Also replacing any non high tension bolts/nuts with Alloy ones like the valve cover, door catches, things like that its big on bikes so places like "pro bolt" can also offer Titan one's if that floats your boat for high tensile applications

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Exhaust and suspension saved me about 17kg between them.

Mongoose exhaust saved about 13kg on the lack of back box and My Tein coilovers were about 1kg less per corner.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
gunmetalgtir said:
What do you think the weight of an R would be if it was stripped out of it's full interior minus the two front seats and the dashboard?
1102kgs without driver!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you weighed yours at that?
If it's only the full interior with the 2 seats and dash still in, I'd say up around the 1160kg or more area. I think that's about what Kirko's came to with similar mods. Mine has been down to about 1130, but it had other stuff like c/f bonnet, lightweight wheels/tyres/aircon removed, lightweight flywheel etc etc.

davey red.r

try taking engine and box out and all running gear ,and stick it in a go cart thats bound to save you weight lol:lol:

Keira

jpward said:
You could also go to the extremes of using a hole saw to cut holes in the A and B and C pillars
thats not really the best idea :shock:

you can chop the whole inner door skin out without suffering to many detrimental affects and theres some that will come out of the inner rear quarter panel but i wouldn't go cutting holes in any of the pillars.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
Have you weighed yours at that?
Yeah, I had mine weighed on HGV scales. The weight was with very little fuel, no air-con, no interior, one seat (drivers) and some dash.
I'll double check when I go up to work on it this weekend, as I have the exact weight written down in the glove box.

J

jpward

diesel weasel said:
thats not really the best idea :shock:

you can chop the whole inner door skin out without suffering to many detrimental affects and theres some that will come out of the inner rear quarter panel but i wouldn't go cutting holes in any of the pillars.
Why not theres a lot of guys with track cars here and rally cars too that do it cutting round holes does not significantly weaken the structure as the metal grain on the outer edge of the cut is uniformed and this stops tears or kinks from happening

This is all i could find for now

Slightly different angle on things!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You'll note they haven't touched the pillars in that car.
I guess if you had a full GrpA style cage it wouldn't affect it too much, but on a road car you'd be risking death if you were in a bad crash.

Boooooost

jpward said:
Do you honestly think cutting holes in some of the main structural parts off the car is a good idea?

I'd say that you would end up weakening the pillars and may cause more body flex. It would be interesting to see the results after a roll over.

Would you do this to your car?

The pictures of the doors is all well and good but its not the pillars is it? From what little I can see of that car the pillars look relatively hole free.