Raising the compression?

olliecast

ok, made the bush and its loads better than before in every gear. The bouncing into gear has now gone and it shifts in with the distinct clunk it should. however, when going from 2nd to 3rd it kind of seems that the gearstick doesn`t want to centralise. It seems that it trys to holdit in 2nd for longer than it should. anyone got any ideas what i could be? the only thing i touched was the arm from the stick to the external link to the box,

hmmm

olliecast

i think i have stretched the return spring that centers the gearstick so i`m going to fit on a tighter one this weekend.
Apart from that, a very successful excercise. i`ve still got some ptfe and made note of key dimensions so pm us if anybody is interested
cheers ollie

Jonesy

Just put the bearings in today, got talking to someone who put the acl bearings in his red top and said make sure you put them in the right way they are marked top and bottom, is this the case with the pulsar, because we just put them in any old way.
Cheers

P

pulsarboby

yes it does matter what way round they go as the oil hole will need to go towards the rod and line up with the oil hole in that. if not then you will be starving it of oil.

Jonesy

Yes that lines up as is the groove they sit in, just wasnt sure if there was a top and bottom shell after speaking to that guy.

Braveheart

Great catch guys.....:thumbsup:
Here's hoping it has a fairy tale ending and turns out to be the best £35 you have ever spent on the R.

ashills

missed what happened in this thread

i would say 100% there must be some damage to the crank journals if the bearing is like that

mine was no where near that bad and had to be ground but best of luck to you ull know in the next few hundred miles probably whats gonna happen

Jonesy

ashills said:
missed what happened in this thread

i would say 100% there must be some damage to the crank journals if the bearing is like that

mine was no where near that bad and had to be ground but best of luck to you ull know in the next few hundred miles probably whats gonna happen
Do you think it will start rattling again pretty soon if there is damage. The other 3 were not to bad just slightly worn.

ashills

yeah if there is a problem with crank it wil show pretty quickly as now it wil have a different shape bearing to the crank if u see what i mean while the old one slowly wore away in same time as crank has

see how it goes but normally is a shell breaks debris will cut the face up of the journal straight away

Jonesy

Ok cheers. There were no obvious marks on the journal, only drove it about 30 miles so far, off on holiday for a week, so will find out after that i suppose.

Braveheart

saddler said:
Can this rubber bush be removed and replaced ??
Thanks in advance
That mount is easily removed. Just slacken the nut on the centre bolt, take the weight off the mount by supporting the engine/gearbox enough that the center bolt through the rubber damper becomes loose... free to turn. You can then pull the bolt out and undo the three fixing bolts.

I changed mine for solid rubber mounts not so long ago.

Last edited:

MORF114

I agree chroming is a lot better than polishing wont oxidise and is easier to maintain the finish than polishing it every day to keep it looking good.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Braveheart said:
That mount is easily removed. Just slacken the nut on the centre bolt, take the weight off the mount by supporting the engine/gearbox enough that the center bolt through the rubber damper becomes loose... free to turn. You can then pull the bolt out and undo the three fixing bolts.

I changed mine for solid rubber mounts not so long ago.
Excellent, i'll have a bash tomorrow or next weekend 8)

Cheers Jesus

M

mynheers_a_pint

what a massive massive bastard of a job.

I started at 10 and have just given up as i am knackered. I replaced my manifold to head gasket as i thought that was blowing but during re-assembly, it looks like its the manifold to turbo join has expanded which is why it is blowing. Not the manifold gasket. So i need to take all that off AGAIN tomorrow. but not only that. the starter motor. I prepared myself with pictures and 2 different how to guides to try to complete it today. I even phoned Bobby as we were perplexed by the magnitude at 11am. I had a helper who had to leave and due to a rather nasty accident, i am only able to sue 1 and a half hands.

So heres the thing. I have managed to undo the Y bracket from the back of the engine. It is now 'loose' but i cannot for the life of me see how the hell to get it out. I am also strugglnig to fathom how people are able to access the starter motor even with the Y bracket out the way. as far as i can tell i can only get to the back of the old starter motor through a gap where the downpipe would usually run. I have attempted to remove the back of the plenheim but i do not have any allen keys that i can get onto the very back few.

Can any one offer any pointers? it took me atleast 3 hours to find the right combination of tools and enough perseverance jsut to undo the Y backet. Never mind get to the starter motor.

Any help/pointers/incredible handy Sunday visitors sent from the gods would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to give it to the garage for something that should be possible even for a banana fingered baffon like myself.......

Cheers, Liam (pooped and fed up)