Raising the compression?

Jonesy

We will have a closer inspection, but there was certainly nothing obvious.
Got the shells for £35 delivered so its not to big a loss if there no good.
Cheers for the help.

P

pulsarboby

why would you want to do that?
the allie sump can be removed without the need to remove box

D

deanogtir

was just chekin i had a little look at work on auto data it said 15.7 hrs to do it. and could really see under my car to chek its too low so all get get it sorted 2moz

P

pulsarboby

yes that time is to remove the crank and refit which would mean a gearbox off job with engine out.
but you only need to drop allie sump to replace the shells.

Jonesy

Think we were around about 2 hours to get the shells out. The hardest bit was trying to get the aftermarket downpipe off.

D

deanogtir

aw mine has just been put on so will b a dodle haha i see your from edinburgh u eva pass calton hill on a fri nyt

Jonesy

I'm actually from dunbar bud, 30 miles or so south of edinburgh so cant say id do. I tale it your from edinburgh.

D

deanogtir

livingston but all my mates r from edin, my mate stays in dunbar with his 300zx

D

deanogtir

you know on the alloy sump theres not any hidden bolts on there or is it just solid on the dowles?

M

mynheers_a_pint

could it be the starter motor?

Hi all. Seems a fortnightly thing that i have to post here but here goes.

Basically driving home earlier my alternator belt started screaming, after being valleted. I have removed the aircon and replaced the belt with the 825 from halfords so it sqeels a bit. I need to repalce it with a proper one really. Anyhoo, so it was making a lot of noise but after a while it stopped. Good, i thought. then there was a bit of a burning smell. I thought it was the alternator belt but it gradually got worse. it was a fairly akrid smell and i thought it smelled more electrical than rubber. This is when i pulled over and turned the car off. I had a look under the bonnet and tightened the alternator tensioner. When i went to start the car, it didn't start first time. The startermotor whirred and made a grumbling noise. Again, i thought it was because the battery hadn't been charging properly due to the belt slipping. I tried again and it started without an issue so i got it home. I then proceeded to inspect the car and couldn't see anything noticable wrong. I then tried to start the car again, and it made the whirring noise again. I can always get the car started eventually but it was the electrical burning smell side of it that worried me.

does it sound like my starter motor? Can it burn out like this?

jjs

there are bolts inside the metal sump cover have to remove that first, then there are two 6mm nuts behind the flywheel there is a small metal cover to remove and the nuts are behind that, there is also two holes that are tapped out for you to screw two 10mm bolts into to help draw the alloy sump of the dowells

gtirjoey

could be starter, but the loom that runs round the back of the engine is known to wear and the wires could start shorting out against each other! i would strongley recommend you getting this problem solved soon or you may end up having an electrical fire on your hands!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Are you sure the alternator belt isn't over tightened? The 825mm belt wouldn't even fit my car as it was too tight. Nevermind having to tighten it some more.

It does sound like you starter maybe needing changed. If it's whirring but not starting, it could be the starter solenoid sticking. Combined with a burning smell, I would look at it as soon as.

nimhbk

Alternator Fella, sounds identical to the problems i had 3 months ago.
take the belt off, and turn the motor over and see if it still plays up