Raising the compression?

S

sR20DET

thanks rob.
will be for a rebuild so just the engine no gearbox or tranfer.
think i will be going for the drop it on a palet and lift the car as it sounds easier.

thanks again

keastygtir

volvo t5 s60 gearbox

I have read somewhere that these boxes can be used with an adapter for the gtir. Anyone heard of it?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Nope, never heard of it.
I dare say alot of gearboxes could be adapted, but I haven't heard of anyone doing any yet.

olliecast

Ongoing "bouncing" into gear cause?

Hi everyone,
Been nursing my gear box for a while now as i`m trying to rebuild 2 boxes that i got to replace it with eventually.

On my current i`ve got the normal syncros grind into 5th but i just double clutch it and it falls in 90% of the time (better at high revs!), although with the bounce mentioned below!

I`m just wondering what the other issue i`m having with my box could be:

its stiff to go into gear and mostly seems to kind of bounce on the gearstick before going in. Doesn`t violently move it but its defiately noticable. Its got worse when i put on my poly shifter bush (guessing it took out some of the "give" the old rubber gave me).

also, i`ll sometimes have to gradually apply pressure to the gearstick before it goes in. kind of wait for the stiffness to allow it to drop in.
Seems to change better when revv`ing the engine which leads me to think it could be syncros related + a slightly bent clutch fork?

What do you guys/gals think?

cheers,
ollie:thumbsup:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Clutch Fork gone? .......Yes it had.

Does this sound like my clutch fork has failed.

Earlier today with foot to the floor on the clutch pedal and in gear the car was moving forward.
Then about 30mins later I couldn't get in gear with the engine running, I had to turn the engine off, put it in gear start up and do a quick get away.

A few weeks back it was starting to get hard going into gear. I changed the master and slave cylinder which improved things, then all of a sudden it's gone alot worse than it was before.:doh:

There no signs of any leaks and I have a braided clutch hose fitted.

MarkTurbo

Just pull the rubber boot around the top of the fork away and with the aid of a torch you can see most of the fork ;-) You've got one of those really heavy RPS clutches havent you? If so then it probably has broken :lol:

To save me pm'ing you, i havent forgotten about that drawing. I looked today and its not at work so it must be at home somewhere ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yep, it's an RPS max street.

There's quite abit of wobble on the fork. I did try pulling the rubber back before, but I think it's aged hardened. I'll try forcing it out of the way later.

Shaun

Fast Guy said:
Does this sound like my clutch fork has failed.

Earlier today with foot to the floor on the clutch pedal and in gear the car was moving forward.
Then about 30mins later I couldn't get in gear with the engine running, I had to turn the engine off, put it in gear start up and do a quick get away.

A few weeks back it was starting to get hard going into gear. I changed the master and slave cylinder which improved things, then all of a sudden it's gone alot worse than it was before.:doh:

There no signs of any leaks and I have a braided clutch hose fitted.
Had the same problem on Juls car but this turned out to be the thrust bearing breaking.Either way it looks like a box out job Carl.

Shaun

Its unusual for it to be all the syncro's at once.If you have selection issues through all of the gears have you tried changing the oil?Mall adjusted clutch?

olliecast

yeah i put redline it in and it definately inproved the slickness for a while then it just went back to normal (may be me just getting used to it).

do you mean gearbox or clutch oil?

clutch adjustment bolt is all the way out.
i`ve never bled the clutch but just noticed that the gater on the underside or the box is missing. there`s also a slight bit of oil weaping from the underside of the box. doesn`t see mto be of a volum that`d cause issue though

olliecast

davey red.r said:
dont over look the clutch,may not be your box.
if your having to double your clutch id suspect that.

davey
cheers davey,
shall i go over these first:
squeeze the master cyclinder rubber to check for fluid, fluid colour, mabe bleed?
the clutch pedal creaks after a while and is hard mind you, i just assumed that i had a paddle clutch in :der:

youngsyp

What are the bushes like in the front and rear engine stabilisers ?

Is there much play in the bushings, in the gear shift rod ?

What oil are you using in the gearbox ? And when was it last changed ?

Paul