Racing the Pulsar

bracpan

Its been a PAR gear kit for 3 years and although fork broke its been perfect up until now, and as red said still looks good when stripped down.
Phil

bracpan

Its all back together and working like a dream....will give it a few runs this week to bed a few parts, then the race next weekend at Llandow...hopefully the tweeks will give me a touch more speed.
Phil

bracpan

First time back out since the b/box rebuild, box worked like a dream, no problems at all. I still have a tendancy to put it into 5th while trying for 3rd but thats me being heavy handed...will have to get a gate sorted.
Was the first time I run with the Front LSD...and to be perfectly honest although is did pull out of corners a bit better it did not show up on the clock/times infact I was quicker in the last event there without it!!! It was getting warmer though the day which does not help and my tyres are getting worse bit I was bit disapointed with it to be honest. I am hoping it might be better on a tighter Hillclimb than a fast sprint. As far as fitting one on a road car i would not bother as its only really on the limit of the car you will notice any difference...and then not a great deal.
I got 2nd spot but overall I was hoping for more, Im getting to the point where I cant see how to make the Pulsar much quicker on track...I know tyres will help so that will be my next route and posibly my last...
A big thanks for every one that helped to get me back on track, Danny, Stu and Bob plus the offers from Martyn.
Cheers
Phil

red reading

there is a few more thing's you can try yet on the handling front phil,castor modification's,subframe height and angle,wheel spacing,tyres (as you have said),even larger rear anti roll bar's (and different drop link's for them to change the angle)

It goes on and on.......

bracpan

I have to stay withing the regs regarding suspension mounting points etc plus my tyres are perfect regarding tempretures across the treads after a run...so not much to gain there regarding cambers and settings etc...larger rear bar will give the car more oversteer and on a hill 13ft wide thats the last thing I need.
Thats why I'm not very optermistic on how much more can be done..the main thing will be tyres so will have to select them carefully.
I can do very small things with weight but again not a lot because of the regs.. remove the carpets and the sound deadning and thats about it. Will have to give it all a lot of thought.

bracpan

I will have a look at what other championships run the softer 1B tyres, I am hoping the Midland Hill climb Championship allow them,, plus I think the Pulsar is better suited to the more twisty hills than the fast sweeping cuves of most sprints..the LSD will probably work better as well.
I wont give up on it yet but if its still the same after the 2011 season I think the car will be up for sale and Ill be racing something else in 2012.

bracpan

I have decieded to stick to the Hills for the rest of the year to see if its more suited to them than the Sprints...This should also give the LSD a better test. I also contacted Proflex about suspension for the Pulsar as they used to do the Nissan Motor Sport cars...to be fair they were extremely helpfull but the price was well out og my range. Shame.
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

Funny old world motor racing, went to Shelsley Walsh this weekend and beat every car in my class and smashed my old times by over 2.25 seconds the car just flew...TVR,s. Porkers, RS Focus etc all left for dead, I even smashed the times I did in my Special Saloon ELF and the GTM,,,and they were on slicks. I crossed the finish at 93mph and did the s's approach at 86mph... unfortunalty for the results they transfered a Lotus Exige with a supercharged engine into our class so he was classed 1st but i was only 1sec off him and he also had to do a personal best to beat me, he like some of the TVR's were on 1'B tyres...I was on my old ( very old) Goodyear F1's...lol
The car just felt very stable not sure if it was the diff but after racing in Shelsley for over 20 years that was by far my fastest time...
Will make sure what ever championchip I race in in 2011 I will be running 1B tyres.. all I need now is a sponcer,,,lol

P

pulsarboby

well done phil sounds like all is going well!

just out of curiosity how much did proflex quote you on that suspension?
im fitting a set to our new car which is coming off the nme car we have.
must say that they look a fantastic bit of kit and after driving the car (just otr) you can feel the difference from standard type coilies immediately

Braveheart

Phil... that's great news. After all the pain and expense fixing and modifying has paid off. You must be very happy. Well done!!!

bracpan

I would not put it all down to the diff as yet , im in Prescott in a few weeks and will see what happens then, its a tight and twisty track so will see if it does as well there?
One way or the other I will have a better idea after that event..but looking forward to next season already..
Phil

bracpan

Not a bad day to end the season, was leading the class though both practive when it was slippery but new I would have problems if it dryed out....and it did dam it..lol
Finished 3rd out of 13 so not to bad considering the tyres and now offically 100% dead...they squealed from begining to end..
Was great to see Danny there and another friend of mine as its nice to have some feed back on the runs as I can never see how it looks from outside.
I will definatly be using the 1B tyres foe next year, luckily do not have to much else to do to the car perhaps a touch of lighning and little things to try and get it more responsive. Then its just drive and enjoy it...
Would like to thank Danny, Bob, Martyn and many others who have help me through the year, without them I would have probaly gone out ofter the gearbox problems in June.
Looking forward to next year and hopefully an even quicker car.
Phil