Mcphersons V's Coilovers

O

Odin

I've changed my K-sports back to KYB Nismo struts, And even being towed down the road it felt a lot better lol.

What we really need to do is try and get someone like Kev at Apex to see if he can get standard style struts made to the same spec as the GAB's, Which are in my opinion just fantastic and I wish I had never sold mine :doh: :der: .

Heres the link to K-mac if anybody is interested ;-) .

http://www.k-mac.com.au/

Rob

O

Odin

campbellju said:
Will you give me the silent treatment now ;-):cry:

You can only live in hope mate ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Keira

if i can be bothered :lol: i'll dig out one of my catalogues, as i've got one that had inserts (bilsteins iirc) and other suspension components where you could basically build your own coilovers.

if i speak to allen or mark nicely, they may pull apart one of their koni modified shocks get the sizes and it might be possible that one of the inserts matches ;)

then again they may not :lol: so this post will be worthless, like most of mine :lol:

youngsyp

Keira said:
if i can be bothered :lol: i'll dig out one of my catalogues, as i've got one that had inserts (bilsteins iirc) and other suspension components where you could basically build your own coilovers.

if i speak to allen or mark nicely, they may pull apart one of their koni modified shocks get the sizes and it might be possible that one of the inserts matches ;)

then again they may not :lol: so this post will be worthless, like most of mine :lol:
By the time you get all that done, most of the GTiR's on the planet will be orange dust, along with their owners ! :doh: :lol:

Paul

Mooser

ive got Gab's there like brand new as my cars a freshie:p but ive also got a set of d2 Coilovers still in the box which do you guys think is better? and if i decide to sell the Gab's what are they worth?

A

ard1ey

EssexAaron said:
what a brilliant read
Cheers bud, hope you got some info out my wandering drivel.

After many years of having the Whiteline kit I'm of the opinion it's too low at the front and too hard. On a flat road the thing goes round a corner great, but a big bump has it bottoming out on the bumpstops, plus the lower brace used to catch the road occasionally.

The hardness of the ride is a bit subjective, but I find that on the quality surfaced roads we have it tends to be bounced about too much - with a bit more give I reckon it'd hang on longer. I am on 17's though, so that'll be making a difference.

Plus the anti-roll bar and the springs are now rusty and have paint falling off which isn't too nice. Kind of matches the rest of my heap though... :)

Modform

I think Kieron is being a little cheeky/entertaining and looking for an excuse to get in his 6000th post ;-)

If you need to ask if you need something then you probably don't.

When our cars were made, Nismo made some non adjustable springs and dampers that I've not used but on paper are the optimum suspension upgrade for Joe Bloggs GtiR driver who wants to buy a shiney bit, get someone else to fit it and feel an improvement. No great surprise that the same people who rallyed the car sold the most rounded road upgrade.

Whiteline springs are 10mm too low IMO for wet roads, Koni dampers are still adjustable so Joe Bloggs will probably put them in the middle or on full stiff, neither of which are very scientific.

Having adjustable ride height/damping give the option of setting your own compromise. There is nothing magical about a "coilover" that will make it work any better or worse than non-adjustable suspension.

I've had some intersting discussion with Fubar Andy from here whose set his car up in a similar but different way to mine. The reason for the difference is because he drives differently, there is no right or wrong.

The reality is as Paul says that these options aren't readily available so Joe bloggs then goes and gets some coilovers and puts them on the stiffest and lowest setting. Then complains about spending a load of money on bits and the GtiR being the worst handling car ever so goes off to buy an EVO.

There is nothing intrinsically right or wrong about coilovers on a road car but if you buy them then make sure you get them setup correctly with known working settings otherwise they are more likely to be wrong than right.

For the record, when setting up my car, I still find more awful settings than good ones

Jim
Don't mean to drag up an old thread...but I am looking for some experienced advice on road racing/time attack spring rates for coilovers.
Was thinking of running 10KG Front ant 9KG Rear (to dial out some understeer).
Have any advice on what to run?
Thanks