Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Welcome back to the GTiROC Annual:
Isle of Man Weekender 2016

Dates:
Thursday 15th Sept
Friday 16th Sept
Saturday 17th Sept

As some of you might remember myself Jim (Campbellju) and George (Pobody) went over to the Isle of Man for the weekend to drive and watch the hill climbs and explore the island.

The idea for the weekender is to explore the island, driving around the TT circuit and then either head out into the hills for some B road action or nice sporty A road driving!
In the evening we can chill in Douglas or the Hotel, have a few drinks and then, well do whatever you fancy.

This year we are changing the format and going later in the year to spectate the last round of the British Rally Championship / Manx Rally

2015 IOM Weekender Video

Last year my gearbox locked in reverse within 4 mins of it being on the island :rage:
However it was still a fantastic weekend with like minded people!
The IOM/TT circuit has as some of the best driving roads available, from fast flowing A roads, to twisty B roads, even a mountain to drive over!

For anyone that's not in the know about the IOM roads - THEY HAVE NO SPEED LIMITS (in national speed limit zones)
Yes, you can go as fast as you want legally.* (Note: *Driving like a knob however, will attract the polices attention and you'll be bundled onto a ferry home)

TT Circuit
Each lap measuring 37¾ miles (60.7 km) and taking in over 200 bends while climbing from sea level to an altitude of over 1,300 ft (396 m). This circuit is the epitome of the natural road course, all the roads used being ordinary public highways closed for the racing and practice sessions.

IMPORTANT BITS

Most time we meet up at Liverpool on the Thursday/Friday take the ferry to the IOM, get settled aka a pint and then work out what people want to do!

Hotels:

Either some cheap B&B's that we used last year or The Empress Hotel on the front, if you fancy a little more up market accommodation?

Map of the TT Circuit:

Ferry’s: (The Isle Of Man Steam Packet Co Ltd)

Liverpool
Heysham
Belfast
Dublin

This is a great weekend for all that go and would be great to see more owners bring their cars to such a great weekend event

Post up if you fancy coming along?

Cheers

Last edited:

KieranEG6

Hurraaayyy. I will actually be driving this year. Got my license back a week ago. Should have the R insured end of March.

Also noticed there are quite a few more Rs on the Island as well. 2 more Black ones and an Ivory floating about over last 6 months.

KieranEG6

Cheers guys. Don't get your hopes up for 'driven in anger' so much. Here in the Island we have to put R plates on the car and be restricted to 50mph for the first year after passing unfortunately.

Are all your cars ready this year? Jim? Gearbox all sorted in yours andy?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Finishing touches now on my engine, hopefully it will work! Aside from that it's just a matter of finding the time and redirecting some cash away from the house and back to cars again. I think the April/May date might still be a bit soon for me. It was mentioned about doing something in September for an alternative itinerary...though I do think the last visits have been fantastic.

Is Nex around?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
It was mentioned about doing something in September for an alternative itinerary...though I do think the last visits have been fantastic.
The other option that was suggested was 15/16/17 September when the last round of the British Rally Championship heads to the Isle of Man

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I'm "friendly" with Avis car hire

I'll just hire a Mercedes A Class AMG Sport for a reduced price!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe we should aim for September then, increases the likelihood of an R actually making the ferry journey.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
It's no problem for me in september.

If others are happy with that ill change the date to give others more time?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Let's aim for September then. - Give Jim and me a chance to get everything roadworthy so that we'll have at least one GTiR.

KieranEG6

I'm cool for September. I'm here all year round haha. Can't get the week days off work at hillclimb anyway as other worker is running in it again.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Probably yours. o_O

Since I've been told we don't need two cars, I've said that selling the Hyundai will finance getting some of the bodywork fixed on the Nissan... although it won't go far because there's not much money in used Hyundais with no service and patchy MOT history.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Thanks Jim

Just trying out ideas for videos, music and editing.

You could say it's a little hobby I have, when I've got some spare time!