How To Remove the Aircon

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie Pop Pop said:
swivel head ratchet spanner wins the day again :lol: it took me about 5 mins to get that plate off :wink:
What took you so long? :shock:
About 1min with one of these. :D

M

macphegf

You take it out for the weight reduction and the extra space in the engine bay, not to get more power. :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
macphegf said:
not to get more power. :wink:
In effect it should make a little more power due to not actually sapping any power after being removed. If you think the aircon doesn't sap power, try driving along slowly and switch it on, it's like you've suddenly hit a head wind or the brakes abit. Although on full throttle the ecu is supposed to turn the aircon off and sap no power.

M

macphegf

Fast Guy said:
The aircon rad is more fiddly. Probably not the easiest way, but I ended up unbolting the bits from either end (not easy if you have big hands), undoing the slam panel and moving it as far as I could without straining anything. And eventually managed to manouvre the aircon rad out. It wasn't as easy as it sounds here, and there's potential for breaking things if you're not careful. If anyone has a better way, post it up :wink:
I just did mine while I was replacing the rad. Thats an easy way to get at the air con rad. It took me about 30secs to get it out :D .

Also mine has more stuff in the way of the two pipes into the bulkhead also. I had to buy an adjustable spanner thing (max 30mm) in order to fit it. I also loosened the window wiper motor to get in at it, but don't know if this made much difference :oops: . I found that you only had to loosen the nut closest to the front very slightly, then I could use my hands to loosen further. Was a bit annoying but got there in the end. Anway hope that might help someone in the future.

J

jpward

macphegf said:
Fast Guy said:
The aircon rad is more fiddly. Probably not the easiest way, but I ended up unbolting the bits from either end (not easy if you have big hands), undoing the slam panel and moving it as far as I could without straining anything. And eventually managed to manouvre the aircon rad out. It wasn't as easy as it sounds here, and there's potential for breaking things if you're not careful. If anyone has a better way, post it up :wink:
I just did mine while I was replacing the rad. Thats an easy way to get at the air con rad. It took me about 30secs to get it out :D .

Also mine has more stuff in the way of the two pipes into the bulkhead also. I had to buy an adjustable spanner thing (max 30mm) in order to fit it. I also loosened the window wiper motor to get in at it, but don't know if this made much difference :oops: . I found that you only had to loosen the nut closest to the front very slightly, then I could use my hands to loosen further. Was a bit annoying but got there in the end. Anway hope that might help someone in the future.
Eeeeek!
I took out my fans then Rad then condenser
then unliped the electric connectors for the ABS and used two adjustable spannors to loosen pipes and removed valve taping up plug to harness at back off light,
Then removed ac pump and 3 bolts of B*stard iron Bit and used ring spanner get at fiddly 4th leting the thing fall to the ground as its heavy,
refitted new belt replaced rad and fans
replaced abs plugs and proceeded to inside bits took less than an hour! 8)

boucherie

is there no way that i can just remove the air con rad and whats the best way to depressurise the system safely?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
boucherie said:
is there no way that i can just remove the air con rad and whats the best way to depressurise the system safely?
What do you mean just the aircon rad? Do you mean without removing the coolant radiator? If so, I did as above.

The official way is to get it done properly, but if you happen to be undoing the wrong pipe by mistake and you hear a hiss, get out of the way until it's all gone as it not nice stuff allegedly. (Although when I undid my bits off the pump and it hissed at me I got some on me and lived to tel the tale)

6Miester

I'm taking my A/C off because its a total pain if you want to do any turbo work! Its also heavy and i reckon removing it will allow more cool air in to the radiator?

N

Ninja_tune_factory

I removed the air con from my R on tusday nite didnt take very long at all
i have found that the 825e belt is a little tight to get on but will go on.

cheers Lionel.

steve963

just removed my aircon, took about 6 hours over the 2 days, maybe a bit less, 825e belt would not go on, though 845 went on easy but at limit of adjustment so will prob start to slip.

almost impossible to get the conderser thing out infront of the rad, probably best to remove the rad (but that probably means draining etc:doh: ) I did manage it but had to bend the condenser etc. probably damaged a few rad fins also

All in all though not too bad a job!

steve963

Cambridge_pulsar said:
When you remove the air con rad do you have to remove that brace that holds the bonnet catch in place?
yeah did that, removed the horns etc, still wouldnt come out though, as the dual pressure switch bracket thing is part of the condenser but behind the normal rad

I meant do you have to permanently remove it? Or can it be replaced when you have removed the air con rad as without it the bonnet won't shut properly.

P

petebann

just becareful when removing it if your sysytem does have pressure init. Bare in mind the smaller pipes are HIGH pressure and the larger are LOW pressure. If you are degassing it your self, best to start at the condensor (radiator at the front).

The 'thing' at the side of the condensor is the reciever/drier because it's in the high pressure side of the system so it means the pulsars have a thermal expansion valve system.

Just finished removing mine, not a bad job at all. One bit of advice, definitely drain the coolant, remove the slam panel and the radiator and fans. This makes getting to the compressor and removing the air con rad a piece of ****!

Braveheart

Good thread!
I will remove aircon when I dismantel the front end to fit new rad, oil cooler, FMIC, turbo elbow and turbo so I guess it should be fairly straight forward and I'm a cheater...