How To Change Door Hinges

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm sure this has already been covered, but I can't find a definitive "how to" for it.

I've got me a
80401-62C00 (LH hinge for a N14 Sunny - it matches in FAST) from eBay, and I've had a look at the door.
I can see that the easiest way to get at the bolts is to take the wing off, but I noticed that other people have said that you don't need to.
Can you access them through the wheel arch; that seems pretty tight (I'm not sure I could get a socket on that, and I don't think I can get enough torque on a 12mm ring spanner)?

I also saw a thread where Ant (I think) had said that you need some of the soft compound to go between the new hinge and the chassis; where do I get that?

Looking at my car, someone has already replaced the top hinge but not the bottom one. I figure I can put the new hinge on the top and swap the newer one to the bottom (and throw the old one out). - Any foreseeable problem with that; they seem to be the same part?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I have realised that I'm a bit of a muppet; this will be in the service manual won't it? - I just want to know how to do it without having to completely dismantle the front of the car (and have to adjust the door again afterwards).

eastwood

I done mine with the wings off its easier to re-align the door after replacement the wing comes off in 20 minutes.

The best way to adjust the door is to use two bolster chisels under the door between the bottom of the door and the sill get another person to help. Wiith the bolts niped up not tight you can leaver the door into position align it whilst the assitant does the bolts up tight.

I used a seam sealer to reaseal the hinges make sure you clean all the hard original sealer off I also cleaned up were the hinges bolt up and painted them with zinc.

ChrisS

I did mine with the wing on. Ideally you need a helper. Take the inner arch plastic thing off and you can get to the bolts ok from there and with the door open. It's fiddly but the main thing is having someone to hold it in postion when you allign it and tighten up. I didnt have any 'soft stuff' and couldnt see any there from the ones i took off.

P

pulsarboby

Car jack and a bit of wood all ways works with car doors :thumbsup:
as above, just use the old paint mark as a guide to aligning, no need to take wing or anything off.
and as eastwood has said, just use seam sealant or joint compound from a plumbers merchants

also the top hinge cant be used on the bottom or visa versa as they are both different angle hinges, but they are switchable from passenger to driverside

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for that tip; I'd better check which one I've got then... :doh:

FAST says: Hinge Assembly-Front door N14 3HB LH
That doesn't really help because I don't know if that's a top of bottom hinge... but you're right the other one is 80421-62C00, so I think I've bought the top hinge... which is the one that looked ok.

Damn you FAST! - Unless that's the reason it doesn't fit right; someone has put the wrong hinge in last time this was done.

splmum

I have just checked my FAST and it shows the following

Top - 80400P
RH 80400-50C00
LH 80401-50C00

Bottom - 80400PA
RH 80420-50C00
LH 80421-50C00

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
At the moment it's mainly a matter of finding a day dry enough to do it. - I might have a bash this weekend.

It's all looking a bit shabby at the moment; all that salt on the roads has done the doors and arches no good. I was hoping to have it looking a bit more pretty in time for JTS.

P

pulsarboby

dont worry about it looking pretty george lol
wait till my tie clipped, pop riveted, fibreglass heap turns up:lol:
people will be shocked with disbelief!
thats assuming ive not totally trashed it by then:lol::lol:

geoff pine

At the moment it's mainly a matter of finding a day dry enough to do it. - I might have a bash this weekend.

It's all looking a bit shabby at the moment; all that salt on the roads has done the doors and arches no good. I was hoping to have it looking a bit more pretty in time for JTS.
Did i mention i have a two car garage :thumbsup: