Fault code check procedure

M

mad Al

cheers m8 i read one of the other posts and it said it wont work with a power fc is that right

B

boozyboo

Fast Guy said:
Boozyboo. ALL our (7) codes are as listed in the first post. There are no more codes for our car.
soz bud, didnt know :doh:

mprice501

with the grey plug under the fusebox in the car, i imagine that you can connect the plug to a laptop and run some Data software, does anyone do this?

mprice501

Hmmm it says on the blazt website that you can make your own cable, Does anyone know which colour wires from a RS232 Serial (COM PORT) cable match up to which pins on the cars Female Consult connector?, I think there is only 3 or 4 cables to it, if anyone could have a look at theirs it would be helpful, there’s a picture of the Consult connector on the 1st page of this thread.

warringtonjack

If you cant afford £75, you shouldnt be owning an R to be fair!! Thats less than a couple of tanks of fuel! Get it bought. :roll:

Pulsey

My grey plug is fixed in position under fuse box, after countless attempts it turned out to be the TOP LEFT pin and TOP, 2ND IN FROM THE RIGHT pin I needed to loop on my R. Anyone know if this is weird or just a variation...?

mine was the same as the above if that helps anyone:)

PulsarLee

Code34

Hi Guys,

As my R dosent seem to be ticking over smoothly, i decided to try my first fault code check, worked a treat following the guidelines and after picking a guys brains at silverstone on sunday :thumbsup:

unfortunatly code 34 is showing - 3 slow flashes and 4 quick flashes - Det sensor fault?

Unfortunatly, i have no idea what this means or even where to start looking........:cry:
any ideas or pics anyone

many thanks

Lee

splmum

Hmmm it says on the blazt website that you can make your own cable, Does anyone know which colour wires from a RS232 Serial (COM PORT) cable match up to which pins on the cars Female Consult connector?, I think there is only 3 or 4 cables to it, if anyone could have a look at theirs it would be helpful, there’s a picture of the Consult connector on the 1st page of this thread.
OR

You could just buy one of these, they come in RS232 or USB format and plug and play once you load your software

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ECUTalk-USB-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415847013e

Talk to the maker (Peter) he will set you right.

PulsarLee

Hi Guys,

Been ages since i checked for fault codes due to rebuilding the engine, almost forgot how to do it. From memory, I have to short the two top left hand sockets on the plug with a piece of wire? I know the process and codes, just cant remember which 2 sockets it was......... does this sound about right as i know that the orientation varies slightly on different cars.

Cheers,

Lee

paz

Hello, me and cars don't go together hugely well so please bare with me.

I have a 21 and a 34. The advice is to check the wiring, where is it and what exactly am I checking for? :(

Paz

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
For 12 - the AFM: I'd check the earth on it; that seems to be what goes resulting in the ECU getting a confused signal from it. It certainly cheaper to put a new earth on it than to replace it.
For 34 - the DET sensor: It's a royal PITA because it's right on the back of the engine between cylinders 2 and 3 on the head. - If you can get a hand it, I'd start by giving the connector a bit of a wiggle to check that it's not just loose. I've never been able to get my old one off to replace it, but the fault has gone from mine now so it may (a) have been real DET from something that has since been fixed or (b) have been a loose connection that has since come good.

Start with the AFM because the poor running might be causing the DET sensor to kick-in... hang on; are you running a SAFC? That might be why the ECU thinks there's a fault on the AFM circuit. :doh:

paz

Just about to run into a physio session but yeah it's got an safc.

Back in about an hour!