engine making loud noise

steveyboy

i had a problem with mine last year, ticking noise, turned out to be little ends gone, i thought it was a problem in the head cos thats where noise was coming from. 8)

yellow gtir

hi mate its immediately as i start the car. the noise gets a bit quiter when i give it a bit of gas it gets quiet. i will post a video on youtube and send you the link to it. cheers

P

pulsarboby

that is definately without question about to put a rod through the block:doh:
bigend or ends gone for definate matey

steveyboy

ive just watched that link and thats definately a bottom end problem, would of said little ends, not a deep enough knock to be big ends. but its hard when your listening to a video. 8)

yellow gtir

hi mate in the video it does sound a bit too loud it is a bit quiter in real life but if it was the big end would the car still drive noral because it drives perfect at the moment the noise only stared when i got the rocker arms and shims changed.

steveyboy

seems a bit that it started after you had that done? did you have it done by a garage or did you do it yourself?

yellow gtir

hi this noise had been going on for about 3 weeks and so far the car is still running fine. if the bigend is gone would the car still drive as normal??

P

pulsarboby

drop the oil in it into a clean bowl then filter it, look and see what you find!

steveyboy

well i drove mine for 8 months with the little ends gone, if its the big ends it wont last long. i know on a fiesta diesel if you shim the cam wrong the valves touch the top of the pistons, not sure if the same can be said about pulsars cos ive never done it wrong, but anything that requires shimming if done wrong can cause valve to piston contact.8)

P

pulsarboby

but anything that requires shimming if done wrong can cause valve to piston contact.8)

not on these cars it wont, they will still run if there 2 teeth out on cam timing.
the only way youll get valve to piston contact is if it throws a rocker and the rocker jams the valve open whilst pistons coming up to tdc