Carbon Fibre bonnets.just a thought?

G

gotoinstant-redline

wo wo wo..

yep still going on this. had a very bad week.
got done for speeding on monday (114mph) and will have to go to court about it.. not good.

got a letter today telling me that i'm gonna lose my job! shit not good and i had 2 very long days tues and wed in london and didnt get home till 11pm!!

so the bonnet is about 3 or 4 days behind schedule. but it will be sorted soon!! soz for delays but my life is a total f**k up atm! so gimme a brake and i'll ave em done soon. the spoiler is easier so that has been started and is on its way!

L.

M

Mikey

I'll be keeping an eye on this one ! Would like a carbon bonnet very much 8) Would it need treating, painting, laquer or would it go straight on ?

G

gotoinstant-redline

it will go stright on. it might scratch over time if you are not careful while cleaning it. and also stone chips will be a pain. but it doesnt need painting. you could add a layer of clear paint/laquer to help preserve it but it shouldnt really need it.

L.

O

Odin

I'll be painting all mine as I'm after the weight saving not the look :wink: .

JU5TY

GoToInstant-Redline said:
it will go stright on. it might scratch over time if you are not careful while cleaning it. and also stone chips will be a pain. but it doesnt need painting. you could add a layer of clear paint/laquer to help preserve it but it shouldnt really need it.
I might get a clear film put on the front of the bonnet to protect from stone chips. Dent magician do it. Kellies pug has it on her bonnet/bumper.

G

gotoinstant-redline

ok folks. had a bad week and i'm well behind. but i have basicly got the cast ready now.. so it just a matter of doing the first bonnet now.
the spoiler hasnt even been started for the same reasons that i'm behind on the bonnet. but it wont be far behind the bonnet.

also working on a carbon fuel cap now :) bling bling

sit tight folks.. sorry for the delay but my life is falling down around my ears atm

L.

JU5TY

I would imagine she got it free/cheap for advertising Dent Magicians website address on her car.
Think it’s around £100 for the bonnet, I will find out as Dent Magicians only down the road from me.

No worries about the delay. Sorry to hear about your job etc.

A

Anonymous

vpulsar said:
So why add the weight of the paint???

I'm interested in a few carbon bits for mine. Let me know when you have pics etc.

Dunc

O

Odin

Duncan said:
vpulsar said:

I'm interested in a few carbon bits for mine. Let me know when you have pics etc.

Dunc
How many ounces do you think a coat of paint would add then matey?

A

Anonymous

How many ounces do you think a coat of paint would add then matey?[/quote]

Oh I know but why add even a few ounces? Unless you're going for a sleeper and don't want it to look mod'd at all. Plus touring cars dont use as much paint as road cars to save weight. I know this wont be as critical for you but just wondering?

Dunc

P.s. Cue the"weight saving" jokes! :wink:

N

Ninja_tune_factory

have any of you seen the hks is200 thats all carbon fiber wat about doing a hole R in carbon ? all the panels apart from lookng the nuts i fink it wood go like the clapers with a big power lump :D

O

Odin

Yes I'm going for the sleeper look and the paints the least
of my worries as far as weight goes :cry:

E

Edd

Duncan said:
vpulsar said:
christ duncan you have obviously never met the "mountain" that is known as Vpulsar :eek:

you coud weigh up all of the paint used by Nissan in a year and it wouldn't equate to the weight of one of rob's meals so a bit of paint on the bonnet won't harm :wink:

i think rob needs to look closer to home for saving weight rather than carbon bonnets :wink: :shock:

M

memski

you coud weigh up all of the paint used by Nissan in a year and it wouldn't equate to the weight of one of rob's meals so a bit of paint on the bonnet won't harm :wink:
PMSL!!! Classic :lol:

O

Odin

Edd said:
Duncan said:
vpulsar said:
christ duncan you have obviously never met the "mountain" that is known as Vpulsar :eek:

i think rob needs to look closer to home for saving weight rather than carbon bonnets :wink: :shock:
Don't worrie lardy I'll be making a meal out of your
face next time I see you :shock: :wink: :twisted:

G

gotoinstant-redline

now now gents.. please behave. i dont want the topic locked..!!!

as for the progress..

i blame it on the french :)
err well i tried to fit the mould in the back of my megane and it snapped as i pushed it into place.

i tried to repair it today but i'm not happy with the results. so i'm back another 3 o 5 days trying to make yet another mould!!! grrr! fooking small french cars!

i now have all the kit at my workshop so i dont have to move anything else. thus saving myself from teh hell of rebuilding a mould!!

the evnts are about 90%done :) so at least one part (or 3) is cool. hte bonnet should follow some time this week.

L.

S

Sirnixalot

take your time, its not like we will lose interest waiting for a proper mould :wink:

G

GTI-R Kid

And its not as if there's an abundance of places supplying the bonnets either. :wink:

G

gotoinstant-redline

ok ok..

well i have booked a load of holiday from work (yes i kept my job!!!)
so i can devote all my time this weekend and for a week to the bonnet. i cant wait for the last little bits to get done then the whole thing will be ready to fit and take pics of!!!

i also have a large job of an mr2 to finish. this is taking up more time that i had hoped.. but as you said above. i'd rather get a top notch product for you lot than rush it out and only have crap to show for it.

sit tight folks. ya cant rush perfection :)

L.