Carbon Fibre bonnets.just a thought?

G

gaz_127

i remember seeing a post a while ago about se nissan c/f bonnets and how long you have to wait for them or sum **** anyway i was thinking why doesnt sum one just give pro-comp a ring and ask them if they would make a set of gti-r bonnets in bulk as a one off sureley if there was enough interest you'd get them at a decent price,and btw pro-comp are **** hot with carbon fibre i have a carbon fubre ram cooler on my saxo at the moment not only does it sound the tits the quality is amazing

135bhp of pure french garlic,soon to be 220bhp of pure jap lunacy

JU5TY

AH dam... All the replys have been lost.

Someone was maybe going to contact Pro Comp about showing them the R bonnet. (Sorry cant remember who it was :oops: ).

Any feedback?

G

gotoinstant-redline

by the end of october i should have a carbon copy of the R bonnet ready to fit to my R.
it's all of my own making and i'd be happy to bang out a load extra for the rest of you R owners out there.

if you dont want a copy of the original bonnet i can do diffrent vents/holes/scoops etc etc to your spec..

est cost for a standard copy will be about £280.
if you want something diffrent then it will cost more as i'll haev to do a new mould for it.. about £500 for a tottaly diffrent one off bonnet.

watch this space. i have an mr2 bonnet to finish first then its onto my Rs one.
if there is enough demand then i could do a group buy but it will take me about a week(ish) to do 2 bonnets. so if there was 10.. then it would prolly take me all of november to make em :)

p.s.
also i'm gonna do wings, door skins, rear spoiler, tail gate and maybe bumpers too. i'm using my car as the test car and i should have all the above sorted for about december/jan..

L.

S

Sirnixalot

count me in for the wings, spoiler, bonnet and tail gate in carbon. I will wait till you get all of the above made then buy....looks like ill be back to the UK next year again 8) unless we can get them posted for less

N

Ninja_tune_factory

for that price il have a bonnit hell yer cabon on my r yessssssssssssssssssssss :D is it just a skin of the bonnit or the hole fing ?

G

gotoinstant-redline

lionel said:
for that price il have a bonnit hell yer cabon on my r yessssssssssssssssssssss :D is it just a skin of the bonnit or the hole fing ?

the whole thing m8! none of this skin crap! no fibreglass in my bonnets!!! gah!

just 100% carbon!!
the weight of the bonnet is roughly (this is not exact yet!) 3kg. much lighter than the original lump of metal!

JU5TY

GoToInstant-Redline, I’m defiantly interested in a standard shape CF bonnet!

Can we see pictures as soon as it’s finished?

How come you’ve been able to make it yourself? You work with carbon fibre I take it…?

Is there any more info on the bonnet... I.e. Is the Gel UV stable etc etc?
Are the vents carbon? Ie Is the bonnet made up of 4 parts?

Keep us posted, thanks mate :D

G

gotoinstant-redline

JU5TY said:
GoToInstant-Redline, I’m defiantly interested in a standard shape CF bonnet!

Can we see pictures as soon as it’s finished?

How come you’ve been able to make it yourself? You work with carbon fibre I take it…?

Is there any more info on the bonnet... I.e. Is the Gel UV stable etc etc?
Are the vents carbon? Ie Is the bonnet made up of 4 parts?

Keep us posted, thanks mate :D
shhh.. soooo many questions.

1) yes i'll post up pics the same hour that i get the finished bonnet out of the mould!

2) err no comment, i used build boats and now i work for myself at weekends doing this.

3) yes uv stable :) only the best eh..

4) not sure yet. i might do a ver with the fixings for the standard plastic vents and then do a full carbon one.. see what is best.

5)nope.. just one large single part. much stronger and lighter. plus it looks better :)

the other Q that didnt come up was...

Q:will the new bonnet fit my current bonnet catch?
A:yes and no. i am playing with both designs atm and will work out what is best before i start to do bonnets for all.
having said that. i can do bonnet pin holes with no catch or no pin holes and a bonnet catch.

hmm might leave that one up to the customer. would seem nicer to ask them than assume that they want a or b...

L.

O

Odin

I'll be up for the bonnet/wings/spoiler/front and rear bumpers.

please send me details when your ready mate :wink: :D .

regards Rob.

G

gotoinstant-redline

seeing as there has been quite a bit of interest, i have ordered a whole load more stock and will start the bonnet tonight. i should then have a finished mould for sunday/monday depending on how i play the vents.

once i'm happy with the mould then i can do the carbon and this should only take a couple of days to sort. so if i'm not working too late next week then i should have the first bonnet finished by next weekend.
if i am busy during the week then i will at least be able to work on it next weekend and have it sorted for wednesday week(ish)

while i am working on the bonnet i'm going to start on the spoiler too. its quite a simple shape and shouldnt be too hard to do. this should be ready about the same time as the bonnet.

as soon as i have the first parts finished i'll post up pics and get an idea of how many you lot want. once i have the mould sorted its only a couple of days work to do a bonnet so i should be able to bash a few out each week. and the spoiler is even quicker.

as for bumpers, wings and tailgates..
i'll leave the tailgate till last as its the hardest part to do, the wings are next on the hit list and the bumpers will follow that.

L.

O

Odin

cool I'd better get saving at this rate I'll have a nice light
R but still no engine to make it go :shock: :oops:

S

Sirnixalot

i hope i wont be shot for painting some of these wonderful parts :shock: :p.

ohh i have another question.....can you leave the sparrow splitter blocked off? I dont want it to actually ingest air......lets just say that the standard bonnets like to lift at certain speeds. I will want the side vents open though :)

G

gotoinstant-redline

i can do you anything with the vents that you want.
if you dont want a vent on the front then so be it. if you want one that doesnt do anything then thats ok to..

if you want a vent but you dont like the standard one then i can change that too.

the customer is allways right
(unless i say otherwise!)

L.

S

Sirnixalot

cool...its just that the more right i am the more its gonna cost me :wink: it would save you the trouble of having to cut the holes out of the CF in the main(center) scoop/sparrow splitter.

Not trying to be really cheap but would the bits cost less if they didnt need the UV clear coat? I plan on painting all the bits...especially the wings. I dont know what you have to do to CF to make it paintable...so any reccommendations you have are probably best

G

gotoinstant-redline

all my top (gel) coats are uv proof. but i can do a non waxfilled gelcoat for you if you want to paint it.
you could paint the normal ones anyway but if you are gonna paint them all then i can use an easier to paint on gelcoat to help you out. the cost would be the same..

as for the vent..
are you thinking of a copy of the stock vent, just with no holes in it??
or do you want a blanking plate instead? so you ended up with a lump in the bonet rather than a vent?

i could do a bonnet with no hole in that part at all. then you wouldnt need a cover for the hole. so the bonnet would be a single piece with no joins??

L.

S

Sirnixalot

stock vent but no holes....thats all, im easy to please :D

and yes Cutris i wish to paint my carbon fibre bits....will look odd with a black car and CF wings....i may leave the bonnet and spoiler unpainted depending on how the weave looks...but most likely ill paint them

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GoToInstant-Redline said:
while i am working on the bonnet i'm going to start on the spoiler too.

L.
Rear spoiler? Could you make the fittings (captive bolts) more secure so that the spoiler can't just be ripped off like mine was last year? Better still, a one piece rear hatch/spoiler. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Im with Nix. I would like a CF bonnet with no sparrow holes (stops the rain & shit gettin in) as I now have an aluminum plate acting as a blanking plate - just not sure if I can afford it at the mow.