Carbon Fibre bonnets.just a thought?

J

jaigtir

I am definately up for a carbon fibre bonnet and other bits. Lwt me know any progress :D :lol:

JU5TY

Defiantly holes in the main vent for me please….

I will block it off from the inside with a sheet of Perspex, sealed with silicone sealant round the edges… :D

S

Sirnixalot

perspex + engine heat...epsecially as its right over the exhaust manifold and turbo......that will melt methinks

JU5TY

Lexan plastic should be alright...

My friend has that covering vents on his bonnet and hasnt had any problems. :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I was thinking more it might get blown out with the airflow if it's only silicone sealant holding it.

JU5TY

Hey stop ganging up on me...heehee :oops:

No way Sikaflex Sealant is MEGA strong. I put my mesh on with it and couldnt get it off when I came to change my mesh!

Just dont like the idea of the scoop with no holes... :cry:

N

Ninja_tune_factory

il buy the lock stok the ****** lot i need carbon in my car :D wat price is the door skins gona be :?: and wat type of time period are we looking for geting sum on are cars :?:

G

gotoinstant-redline

tbh i havent even looked at starting the doors yet.. price? dunno. but if i do a whole door it would be about 450-550 per door i fink. they are very hard shaped to get right. that is why i was just gonna do the skin to start with.

the skin would only be about 220quid ish..

the order i put in last thursday for carbon and mould stuff turned up today so i'll get cracking on the bonnet first up. i'll also do the spoiler over the weekend. a week behind schedual but the first finished carbon parts will be ready for mid to late next week.

all being well i can do a bonnet in about 2 days. so 2 weeks today i should have about 3 ready to go. vents will take a little more time but the bonnets will be able to be fitted with the stock vents while i sort out the carbon ones.

if doors are the next demanded part then i'll do that rather than the wings or boot. what are your views on this guys.. you are the people choosing :)

L.
any more Q's, please just ask.

S

Sirnixalot

i would not want a carbon fiber door. Think what would happen if you get side swiped and at the point when that stuff breaks its gonna tear into you.....inner door skins are one thing but for road going vehicles guys please think saftey. Dont remove anything structural on a road going vehicle for the sake of weight savings.

I say

1) Bonnets
2) Rear spoiler
3) Front wings/fenders
4) Boot Lid

G

gotoinstant-redline

well sorta hence me not thinking of doing the whole door before. i only ever had the skin in mind and maybe the door card too.

L.
(they started it ;p lol)

S

Sirnixalot

hey...you got friends and any shipping companies? Cause im a BIT out of the way :wink:

G

gotoinstant-redline

i'm in talks with 2 companies atm.. i would like to do a deal so that i can keep the shipping costs down for my customers.. and for me!

i havent got a contract with anyone yet so i'll let you know. but i would think its gonna cost a small fortune to get it all the way to you in a safe hard box to protect the bonnet.

L.

S

Sirnixalot

LOL.....looks like ill be back sooner than planned fellas 8) small fortune = price of ticket :lol: will make sure i have money this trip

G

gotoinstant-redline

cool..
good to meet members.. esp ones that have made the effort to come a long way :)

L.

S

Sirnixalot

will be my 3rd trip in the name of parts LOL...needless to say my folks think im sad and my tuning budys think im nuts...who would endure a 10 hour flight for that...ME :D i want my CF bits, money says you will be done all the bits i want when its still winter YUK! Andy...make sure you have electricity by the time i fly up!

T

T11EWL

Probably a bit off-topic so I'll keep it short :

Containers to ship cars from Jp to the UK were £250 last time a mate of mine checked - split between a few of you (maybe ???) wouldn't work out too bad.

Might take a few weeks / months though :(

N

Ninja_tune_factory

i fink the hole body in carbon will do me fine lol. the door skins sound the nut i will have a set of you wen you got sum. :lol:

G

gotoinstant-redline

right you lot.. just an update for all you out there waiting on the bonnet.

now i have got it off and finished 1/4 of teh mould process, i have noticed a few things.

1. the 'sparroy catcher' is quite easy to block off from behind. thus allowing for me to only have to make one type of vent and supply a second part for blanking it off. this will make the vent look a lot better and you can have it with or without the blanking plate as you wish..

2. heat exit vents.
this is my next point of attention. i have a few optins but i want to make what ever is going to be more popular with you lot.
a) cut out a hole and put mesh behind it so the vent is now flush?
b) copy the stock hole (slightly bigger) so that the plastic vents can be put back on
c) make slightly diff vents based on the stock plastic ones and do as B
your input on this is welcome.

3. catch or pins?
do you want bonnet pin holes? or do you want the stock catch system?
the latter is harder and slightly heaver to make but still easily possible. but the pins are less secure.

so far things are on track for me to have a finished product next week. this doesnt mean that i cant do more than one design but it would mean a new mould etc if there is deman for more than one style.

please let me know.. post in here so the others can see your ideas and thoughts.

cheers

L.