Bens Engine Rebuild

bensmith907

I had a post on here a while back with smoke from the exhaust and poor compression on #3 cylinder.

smoke appears to be the turbo bearing.

on the compression test I got the results 146, 139, 100, 135- so all round- not very good pressures. I did a wet compression test on number 3 and the pressure went up 10psi. Bob and a few others suggested that the ringlands may have let go.

Anyway.... I got the head off today and what did I find- Nothing I was expecting. bores seem perfect with hardly any wear all round, valves seem fine. the only evidence of anything wrong is the brown ring below the top of the stroke see pics-

Is this Pre det?

#3cylinder head and valves.

Gasket shows no signs of breakdown

this picture does show some gas leaking past the pistons but not that much

I was expecting to see much more gas passing the piston if the ringlands or the rings had gone

so anyone any ideas?

I think the next step must be to get the piston out to inspect it but im not confident in finding a problem there

Thanks,

Ben

P

pulsarboby

Bet it's the ringland there looks to be det marks on the head and the inlet valve side of the block

as above, i would be confident that ringland is cracked.
good news is that the cylinders not marked/scored but does look as though shes been detting

bensmith907

Failed! Ive just spent the best part of 3hours trying to get the sump off the block with no sucess. the manual says to use bolts from the gear box/sump mating faces but there are no bolts fitted in mine:doh:

other methods Ive tried is a block of wood with a big hammer and I can't fit a stanley blade between the faces

anyone know any other bolts that may fit these holes on the car as I cant find any for looking

or does anyone have any other methods or removing the sump?

pulsar_stu

Take that inspection plate off, the black painted one. There's 2 in there if I remember correctly.

Also I think you have to take the pickup filter off that's inside.

Its been a while since I did mine so I can't quite remember.

bensmith907

the black painted plate is infact shadow lol I got those two bolts.

So you reckon the pickup needs to come off too?

P

pulsarboby

as stu said, make sure all the bolts are removed at front of engine around pickup pipe area

then use 2 bolts at back of ally sump to thread down into the block which will gently prise the sump pan free, dont force it or youll snap it and il have another sale lol

bensmith907

I dont have any bolts to run down the two holes- any ideas where else on the car they are used other than into the gearbox?

Ive used this manual to get to where I am now, so that should be every bolt required- (except the compressor gusset which I dont have a clue about where that is???)
http://www.gtirworkshopmanual.com/default.aspx?v=192

what ever you used to seal it on when you rebuilt this thing is amazing stuff.

bensmith907

I think bob rebuilt it about 15000 miles ago completely standard. Im not going to lie Ive been hard on it and I dare say the previous owner had been too.

I hear the two weakest points are the pistons followed by the Head gasket so I would like to uprate both of these and hopefully have a reliable engine for 350bhp or as close as I can get.

Anything else I can do whilst im in there to help myself without spending mega bucks?

pulsar_stu

New oil pump and water pump.
Acl shells.
New oe head bolts or blueprint as I hear they are just as good?
Cosworth headgasket.

bensmith907

thanks, shells are a given,
I have the (over priced) Nissan ones ready,
and the Cosworth Gasket is my first choise too but I hear they take some modification to get them to fit. has anyone done this before?

vss irvine

its only enlarging the dowel holes slightly, nothing to worry about.

done well if its done 15k since rebuild