Red Reading

gtircrazy

Hello Danny and to anyone who can give a shit to read this.

I've been sifting through my pictures and found some stuff you might be interested in. So i thought i'd post a well rather elabrite topic for you and anyone else to read as i get the impression you might be as much of a gtir feind as i am.

I'll start wil the gearbox bracing that has we have just made. I know you are in development of such a thing so you might find what we have done somewhat interesting. As you can see from the pictures below we have machined small groves into the gearbox casing for re-inforced fingers to hold the casing in place. What you cant see in the pictures is the aluminum block that sites between the steel plate and the gearbox housing to absorbe some of the pressure from the box. The rod connectors are made from stainless.

Unfortunity on the first attempt to fit it into the car the brace did not fit and hit on the chassie rail. So a section was cut out and then re-inforced.

It now fits.

I've searched for pictures of the gearset but cannot find any at this stage.

Moving onto history, infuences and my insanity.

Firstly

CMR
(Reg)

I met reg about 5 years ago through a good mate who had known him for a number of years. Reg and CMR are well nissan/datsun gods this side of the plannet.

Reg has been a succesful Circuit and Rally driver since the 1970's and being in his mid 60's now he is still competitive winning the front wheel drive New Zealand rally class this year and breaking the Land Speed record for his class at the salt lake flats in the USA in an NX Coupe.

Reg is a charicter, A quilified vet, sucesful farmer, owner of a large earth moving and machinary contracting business and of coarse CMR racing.

Through the years i have learnt a lot about SR's through reg, and also learnt a thing or to on his philosophy of life.

Lets take a few years back at one of his christmas parties

Sitting infront of his workshop a offering to the motorsport gods

Whole Gti-r Shells lying around i mean what else would you do with them. Merry christmas

Why you'd let your mates crush them with your digger wouldnt you. What great christmas parties reg threw.

This one met the same death as the top one. Along with a 280z that night as well.

The storage end of the CMR workshop, if you love nissans CMR is like something from a childhood dream..each box and cointainer holding some rare part that you could only dream of finding or owning.

One of the cranks reg knife edged and prepared for my race engine

His latest efforts have seen him on the salt flats setting records for little New Zealand in of coarse a Nissan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC0hoW3zpso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvEVjpS7ha8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLj3hNsKhK4&feature=related

Myself personally i have owned gti-rs for 7 years, people who know me say i'm a gti-r nut. Not to far from the truth.

I thought i'd post a few pictures i have drawn insperation from over the years

One of the top show cars in New Zealand for many years, this car has been on the circuit for over 10 years. But its kept in great condition

Another top show car that took out massive amounts of awards is this N15 with a gtir engine fitted. This car is now parted out but was amazing in its time.

Another one of the wide bodied gtir's that was in the scene over here

Very clean RB bar the nasty wheels

This was a gtir over here that went after the 10 second bracket but never got there. I cant seam to find anymore pictures of it at the moment.

gtircrazy

Some random kiwi cars

This was a mates primera with a par gearbox 400hp and a twin plate clutch. They never got it running right though and ended up being parted

Back in 2000 this was the fastest thing out 12.0 gti-r

And of coarse the gti-r powered gti that ran 10.9

Then there was the world

gtircrazy

This gti-r from new zealand holds a few hill climb records. It shows you dont need to be clean to be fast. It has now been converted to rear wheel drive and shows up at events and does skids for the crowd.

P

pulsarboby

great thread, nice to see someone posting something worthwhile and interesting for a change:thumbsup:

that brace is very similar to the one 00sid made a few years back, only problem is the shafts pull apart laterally and that does not strenghen the lateral casing.
the only person i know that got round this with a great idea was kieron aka ''yellow weapon'' by making a bracing collar on lay and input shaft but you had to lose fifth gear.

i was in the process a while back of making a cheap alternative to the above which i actually tested it also strenghened the case laterally and seemed to solve the problem.... but i never put it into production as i fcuked up and had the same troubles you had with the brace hitting the chassis....i then got put off the idea by kieron actually who advised me that by doing what i was planning i would only have a problem at other end of casing (bellhousing end) ie the torque would be transferred back there and end up punching the shaft and bearing through that end so i thought bollox i cant be assed with redesigning the mould i had already made.

i need one of those big toys with a steel bucket on the end lol it would make one of my jobs much easier:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

gtircrazy

Then there was us were do we start. I guess it all started with the purchase and then the failure of the gear box in my gti-r prompting a PAR gear set to be fitted to it. Not knwing much about drag racing i started going to a few events and due to the availability of the events i soon became hooked. The car slowly started moving from stock, to basic mods to hey wheres all my money gone.

We learnt and developed along the way as seen in some of the first pictures..

After the chipped ecu, front mount, aftermarket clutch, fuel pump, injectors, z32 maf, electronic boost controller had been fitted we got it down to 12.4 with the stock turbo.

We then actually fitted some decent parts

Ohlines suspension, GT3071R turbo ect. The car was close to 500hp.

I then stripped the car. Caged it, sent the engine up for rebuilding to handle 1000hp and started collecting parts for a huge build. Unfortunity i ran out of space last year and had to part with the project.

No loss though. As i had another in the build. I purchased a very broken shell.

To cut a long story short this is what it was when i got it.

What it was at the start of the year before i pulled it apart again.

I have just got hold of a few of billy's parts on here. The 6 pot front AP racing brakes and rotors, carbon bonnet, cabon spoiler, I bought carbon wing mirrors Danny, Carbon Grill. Once the engine is back together and we are running the aftermarket ecu i am hoping for around 600hp out of the car by the end of the year.

The whole build thread can be found here
http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32247&PN=1

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
looks very nice best of luck with it
cant wait to see some vids of the car on the drag strip

gtircrazy

In all the development none of it would have been possible if i did not know long timre mate Barry O'sullivan. Barry like Reg is nissan made and has been racing and moding them for over 30 years.

He owns a workshop just down the road from my house and this is were i learnt the ins and outs of nissans. Barry also has kindly lent me a hand in the build of the last gtir and we have completed the work in his shop.

We often do track events and he to owns a very nice nissan an N15 N1 race car with a very highly strung N/A engine.

All of us in the pits.

On the left my good mate's Bens gti-r and our family wagon a nissan aviner Sr20det 4wd wagon. My partner drives this as our family wagon.

And my son. Letting everyone know.

gtircrazy

great thread, nice to see someone posting something worthwhile and interesting for a change:thumbsup:

that brace is very similar to the one 00sid made a few years back, only problem is the shafts pull apart laterally and that does not strenghen the lateral casing.
the only person i know that got round this with a great idea was kieron aka ''yellow weapon'' by making a bracing collar on lay and input shaft but you had to lose fifth gear.

i was in the process a while back of making a cheap alternative to the above which i actually tested it also strenghened the case laterally and seemed to solve the problem.... but i never put it into production as i fcuked up and had the same troubles you had with the brace hitting the chassis....i then got put off the idea by kieron actually who advised me that by doing what i was planning i would only have a problem at other end of casing (bellhousing end) ie the torque would be transferred back there and end up punching the shaft and bearing through that end so i thought bollox i cant be assed with redesigning the mould i had already made.

i need one of those big toys with a steel bucket on the end lol it would make one of my jobs much easier:lol:
You'll all have to mind the spelling its about 1am over here im not really concentrating on that lol. Its hard to pick out a few pictures from the 1000's to post on here. We have done alot of mucking around with gti-rs but were do i start.

We have welded splins inside the gearbox above and it is only a 4 speed gear set. :)

red reading

Very nice, i suppose i best get my arse in gear and post some pics up of my car now as it has changed alot since it was in total nissan, I like the brace i will pm you regards the layshaft bearings