Raising the compression?

R

riske

No, torque is rotational force per lb/ft and BHP is power per second. its actually quite simple once u get passed the confusing stuff...lol. Im still in the confusing part. read through the puma link above.

kirko

i suggest you buy david vizards book '''tuning bl's a series engine as there are some brilliant explanations in really easy to understand terms on everything to do with torque,power etc. and about tuning engines

Godzilla

anyone help whp to bhp

iv just found a power readout in my extensive service history from a few years ago like 2005 before a few of the mods were fitted and it says 259.9hp at the wheels can anyone tell me what this is in bhp so i can get a rough figure before i go on the rollers, as iv got bits of paper saying its been up to 420bhp also 330bhp so only real proof is the printout from a while ago,

thanks gaz

R

riske

hp and bhp are the same thing. I think roughly you add on about 110bhp for the flywheel readout. so your looking at 370bhp at the fly...roughly.

you obviously know you lose power from the fly to the wheels so the bhp at the wheels is a more realistic figure as that the true figure that touches the road. Hope that makes sense.

Godzilla

yeah i no u loose a fair amount from transmission loss is it not like 30-40% or something , so me saying i got 259.9 at the wheels is more that say some one claiming 300bhp at the fly only asking cos if i tell someone i got 259.9 and its rapid and then they say yeah my golf 1.8t has 250bhp then obviously 1 they dont have a clue and 2 mine would kill em lol

Godzilla

that will do me for now as previous owner before the guy i got it from was claiming 330bhp so he must have been going of the printout , il get it in soon as i can afford it and get a newer figuer

J

jpward

Edd's first post should have covered it for everyone but somehow people are getting more confused :roll:

Try looking at them as separate items first!

1, Torque can be directly related to cylinder pressures (BMEP) so more efficient engine (bigger cams, head port, bigger injectors to balance AFR) will help raise Torque. So too will higher compression ratio's. The reason why say a bigger turbo will give a better torque reading is again the CFM will be higher so more air in to engine means more pressure at ignition providing the afr is correct!

So now we can see how a Diesel/TD works as there is a greater initial force from diesel detonation and introduce a turbo and the cylinder pressures will be higher still.

2, BHP is merely the Torque figure at a given RPM! as you can have no BHP and have Torque present but no Torque also means no BHP!

Torque will get you a better launch or pull out of the corner as you are possibly in the lower RPM bands (below 5252) or look at it as "Pulling power" not many trucks are ever designed to rev past 5k and where it comes in to play in rallying is that you are firstly starting from a stand still and then slowing down for corner's and speeding up again not running in an oval track at say 7000RPM for 90% race. Or like F1 mostly at 15-19,000RPM

So in a drag race the one who has more Torque could well win the holeshot but as the resistance factors kick in ie drag, mechanical friction in engine etc the acceleration will not continue to rise as well as the engine with the same Torque but higher BHP as its ability to use more of the Torque to drive the car forward makes it win in the end.

And on that note here’s a little VT;

the one on the left has less Torque but similar BHP maybe a little bit more
;-)

frp

id say closer to 340 but i would n't get too hung up on figures tbh. If i were you i would n't spend money on the Dyno just for numbers, may as well get some mapping/work done

steve

snoon

I must be doing something right as my figures are close to being the same......
350 BHP and 344 torque!

Interesting read.

J

jpward

snoon said:
I must be doing something right as my figures are close to being the same......
350 BHP and 344 torque!

Interesting read.
Not bad Young'n

At what RPM's?

MarkTurbo

fubar andy said:
yet when I looked at my lbft it was much lower than I expected, hence my query!
All is explained :lol:

If you want lots of torque just run loads of boost. WRC cars run about 3 bar in the midrange, although the boost does tail off a lot higher up in the revs ;-)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
So...the fuel/air mixture combusts and pushes the piston downwards in the cylinder during the 'power' stroke. This is then translated into a circular motion by the way the piston is mounted on the crankshaft.

So what we have is the piston developing a force on the piston that then gets turned into a 'torque' at the crankshaft.

This engine torque then passes through the gearbox (which acts as a torque multiplier) before it gets to the wheels.

At the wheels, the torque then gets turned back into a force to drive the car forward in the reverse of what happened at the engine. The torque gets transmitted to the road at the tyre contact patch and results in a force that is called the tractive effort.

On my outting for information I found this on the MLR:

The best way to improve torque is to either apply a greater force to the piston, reduce the frictional losses between the piston and the cylinder / conrod / crank or increase the crank throw so that the same force acts over a longer lever.

Increasing force on the piston is the usual method used i.e. increasing boost, cams, bigger turbos, ported heads etc..

Reducing friction comes as a result of coatings applied to piston skirts, conrod and crank bearings, choice of oils etc..

Using a longer crank throw applies to stroker kits. Probably best if I use a bit of an example to describe this one though. The std Evo engine has a stroke of 88mm. This means that the distance between top dead centre and bottom dead centre is 88mm. Now thinking about it logically, this means that the radius of the circle that the conrod travels around is 44mm. This 44mm is called the crank 'throw'.

Now say we have an engine which is producing a downward force of 2083 lbs (you'll see why it's an odd number in a minute ) then we have a torque being produced at the crankshaft of:

44mm = 0.144 ft radius
and
Torque = force * distance = 2083 * 0.144 = 300 ft-lbs

Now say we keep the engine developing the same 2083lbs of force i.e. same boost level, airflow etc... but we put in a 100mm diameter crank which has a 50mm throw then that same 2083 lbs of force develops a torque of:

50mm = 0.164 ft
therefore
Torque = 2083 * 0.164 = 342 ft-lbs

So you can keep the boost level the same and put the same force on the piston but you get an increase in torque due to the extra diameter of the crankshaft.
Make sense now :thumb:

frp

well looking at the 3 results about they seem to be about 21-22% loss ?

steve

ps. all run with 17" rims

Godzilla

cheers guys im going to get it in locally soon to get the greddy profec re set up as i dont trust its settings , so will the guys be able to tell me a figure while there doing that , and also what difference will it make if i get it live mapped as i have no idea what stage of tune its at,

mods are that i can sea easily (could have hidden goodies i dont no about)

bailey dump valve
apexi induction
apexi downpipes
decat mongoose system
hks ecu
FMIC
HKS AFR
greddy profec B 2
new organic clutch
new gearbox
iridium plugs
uprated fuel pump

iv not had a look at it properly but with that dyno reading would these mods alone be able to accomplish that figure as the other forum i use they tend to think i would need a bigger turbo and bigger injectors to say the least to get anywere near that figure,

J

jpward

Want a new billet fuel rail?

After waiting what must be two months on jgy I lost all faith in ever seeing my ordered fuel rail and so i went along to a precission engineers to have a word and tomorrow i should be going to run my eye over final drawings for a billet fuel rail made the way I want it! :twisted:

So i know there are a few who were also looking for rails that dont need you to wait two years and do not need to be modified to fit it! :thumbsup:

Who is interested then? they should look like the AEM rails not like the extruded cheapo type and will be a direct replacement or if you have different injectors or require different end fittings like myself for fitting braided hoses then that can be made.

.... and for any persons requiring a bling bling rail whilst neon's are not an option you can get engraving done as it will be done on a CNC Machine 8)

Initial quote is £120 which is the same price as the AEM one's for something that is GTIR spec as i have provided rail and! throttle bodies for detailed measurement and fitment.

Benifits of this rail to those that may ask are;
Larger volume (essential for running larger injectors reducing the pulsing effect)

Flexability (use any kind of top feed injectors you want) (fit larger feed and return hoses) (use standard or performance pressure regulators) (option of spare location to mount pressure guage)

Asthetics (billet looks with option of personal engraving ie GTIR/SR20DET/Super Bob's Belter etc) :lol:

Fuel Temp (Tests in the US have showen the use of billet to reduce the amount of heat transfared from head to fuel before injection compared to the standard steel OEM units and less heat is better for lower intake mixture temps)

I will get photos up ASIC of ones already produced.
This is also the guy who i have aproached about gearbox casings he has made for an Impreza WRC ;-)

So who's interested these will probably be a short batch run?
(also on modifiers)

1, JPWard

steve963

I thought torque depends on if the engine design. long stroke engines produce more torque but rev less, and short stroke less torque but rev more

to do with the distance of the big end from the centre of rotation of the crank, obviously bigger distance will create more turning force and a longer stroke (as in american cars)