Raising the compression?

steven_c

can i get nismo n1 oil and water pumps like on the skylines? good idea to replace them, the hks down pipe was on the car when i bought it..

defo will get the gasket, i am just slowly collecting everything little bit at a time to make my engine then i will remove and start the rebuild

steven_c

i was looking at 700cc but i am not looking for big hp, i am just after a sensible engine then later i will go for the bigger injectors

EVOBAD

also make sure ther is space for your car after all the work has been done as its going to go bang sonner rather than later ,but it all sounds nice at the moment keep up the good work

steven_c

i have loads of room i currently have a mk 1 golf gti to run about in, i have my vw bay 1972 camper also and my weekend car is my skyline r33 gtr and they are all sat in the garage so rooms not a problem :)

strange noise

Over the last couple of weeks my car has started making a weird kind of creaking/groaning noise coming from the front left, it pretty much stops if you brake but the brakes aren't binding. It's definitely something that's turning as it's not a constant noise but increases as you get faster. Doesn't stop if you dip the clutch, could be wheel bearing, cv joint or maybe coming from the gearbox. Just after any other suggestions before I have a proper look. :-D

cheers

gtirjoey

are you running standard calipers? if not the noise could be your pads moving in calipers i used to get the noise on my old ap's

gtirjoey said:
are you running standard calipers? if not the noise could be your pads moving in calipers i used to get the noise on my old ap's
No I have hi-spec 4 pots. I had thought of that and they do rattle and click a bit but to make this noise they would have to be seized on quite hard which they aren't.

cheers

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
HKS downpipe - I didn't know they did a 3" one? The mongoose downpipe was always recommended over the HKS one as the HKS one is mild steel (allegedly) and rusts to death.

Get the samco hoses kits for the back of the engine if you don't already have them.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
smoked said:
iirc mine was 2.5 or 2.75 and rusted like any normal mild steel exhaust

That's what I was hinting at. I thought it was pretty much the same as the goose except the goose is stainless isn't it?

Mr GTiR

Ditch the uprated leads and stick with new standard Nissan items.

As already mentioned, ACL race bearing, new oil and water pump, tentionsor, timing chain and followers and water hoses on the back of the block. While the engine is out get the starter motor overhalled and get the idel control valve cleaned out.

If your not after big horse power then you will not need uprated rod. For what they cost I would deffo get ARP rod bolts.

Another area usually overlooked is brakes and suspenion.

davey red.r

steven_c said:
can i get nismo n1 oil and water pumps like on the skylines? good idea to replace them, the hks down pipe was on the car when i bought it..

defo will get the gasket, i am just slowly collecting everything little bit at a time to make my engine then i will remove and start the rebuild
you sure its a 3inch downpipe?

steven_c

i am pretty sure i will check it out for you.. defo stamped up as hks, i have the front coolant samco hoses already need the back, also has tein coilovers alround, needing some 4 post calipers for the front,

and yes the hks is rusting!!!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Torque V’s BHP

I’m curious to understand Torque over BHP?

Looking at my previous results and other car readouts I’m curious how some results come back as 450bhp and yet have results of 370lbft? Yet on some other hillclimb cars they can be 300bhp and 380lbft – iirc WRC cars are 300bhp and 700lbft!!! :thumb:

I’m not getting hung up on any results as I take them with a pinch of salt, but I wondered how you could raise your torque levels? Is it dependant on modifications; clearly easy breathing is obvious, but what else can raise torque levels? Is it a mapping thing or simply boosting the thing to death?

Any kind of relevant information would be appreciated and interesting to read ;-)

olliecast

just an idea on that torque figure from wrc:

307 WRC (quote from http://www.motorsm.com/motorsport/auto/world_rally/WRC_car.asp)
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Engine: new aluminium XU7JP4 replacing XU9J4 ( 206 WRC)
    Based on Peugeot 406 1.8 litre engine.
    2.0 L, 300 bhp @ 5250 rpm
    Torque 580 Nm @ 3500 rpm
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Dimension:
    Length: 206 WRC: 4.005 m; 307 WRC 4.344 m
    Width: 206 & 307 WRC:1.770 m
    Wheelbase: 206 WRC: 2.468 m; 307 WRC 2.610 m
    Weight: 206 & 307 WRC 1230 kg
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Homologation requirement:
    2500 307 CC 180 bhp to be produced
    25000 307 CC to be produced in 12 months.
    [/FONT]
point 3.2 here also mentions about reducing the lag on the car by recirculating some of the air:
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2002/14E_11.pdf