Raising the compression?

J

jpward

noriek2003 said:
a 4 banger has 2 cylinders firing together :doh: thats how they work :lol:
who mentioned wasted spark??? :der:

We are talking about power strokes here or are you telling people you have two power strokes in a 4cyl engine :lol:

noriek2003

my mistake :doh:

i was talking about wasted spark set ups as ed has pointed out, as thats what i will be running on my gtir. Afraid to say im to used to worrying about my own set up, last time i concerned myself with a gtir dizzy was to look at taking it apart to only use the cas part of it. I was even considering selling my full set of gtir manuals in the week as they are about as much use to me now as tits on a fish :lol:

J

jpward

steve963 said:
I thought on 4cylinder while one cyl was firing the other was on induction stroke?
Thats correct!

firing order of 1-3-4-2
1 is Power stroke>exhaust stroke>Induction stroke>Compression Stroke
2 is Exhaust Stroke>Induction stroke>Compression stroke>Power stroke
3 is Compression stroke>Power stroke>Exhaust Stroke>Induction stroke
4 is Induction stroke>Compression stroke>Power stroke>Exhaust stroke

;-)

@ Snoon they should be close at 5250 as they are equal at 5252rpm ;-)
At which side of the Turbo are the blades missing? :shock:

J

jpward

noriek2003 said:
my mistake :doh:

i was talking about wasted spark set ups as ed has pointed out, as thats what i will be running on my gtir. Afraid to say im to used to worrying about my own set up, last time i concerned myself with a gtir dizzy was to look at taking it apart to only use the cas part of it. I was even considering selling my full set of gtir manuals in the week as they are about as much use to me now as tits on a fish :lol:
Here K I was told a good way to go is COP with say CBR coils rather than wasted spark, did you consider it?

Actually whats Edd's and others view on this? (too much hastle for little gains?)

noriek2003

how much are you willing to offer me for them ? all 3, original workshop manuals ? very good condition, like rocking horse poop now, pm me if you'd prefer.

why will i be running wasted spark ?

standard dizzy based set up will not be up to the job on my car tbh. The standard dizzy/coil set up is not going to generate a good enough spark at the cylinder pressures or revs i'll eventually be running at, not with anything resembling a decent plug gap.

i'll now be running the m&w pro12 cdi unit with honda cbr coil on plugs 8)

Originally i was going to use a different ecu to what i have now and would've needed a crank trigger and cam phase sensor to run fully sequential, which tbh, i couldn't be bothered with, annoying thing now is with the motec i could be running full sequential ignition and injection for only slightly more money (different cdi required)

what i have will be more than up to the job so im not going to lose any sleep over it now tbh.

J

jpward

steve963 said:
i'll 'HAVE' your manuals lol

why you gonna run wasted spark?
I am gona guess its because you have 2 coils and more charge time between them giving a stronger spark at higher rpm's

Or maybe he is worried about emmisions in his "Green Machine"and wants to burn any left over fuel away :lol:

noriek2003

jpward said:
Here K I was told a good way to go is COP with say CBR coils rather than wasted spark, did you consider it?
i'll be using the cbr coils ;-) they are the bollox, proven on 1000bhp + cars, no spark drop out at high rpm, will still give a spark at lots of boost, cheap aswell if you find them in the right place 8)

the cdi unit i have will only fire 4 coils, regardless on whether they are on the plug or not as wasted spark. (as ed pointed out, of the paired cylinders, 1 fires on intake, 1 on exhaust) I chose the pro 12 as the ecu i was planning on getting required lots of messing about to run sequential (crank trigger, cam phase sensor). With the motec its alot less hassle :doh: so could've gone with the pro14 that would then run sequential, but never mind, it'll do :lol:

J

jpward

noriek2003 said:
how much are you willing to offer me for them ? all 3, original workshop manuals ? very good condition, like rocking horse poop now, pm me if you'd prefer.

why will i be running wasted spark ?

standard dizzy based set up will not be up to the job on my car tbh. The standard dizzy/coil set up is not going to generate a good enough spark at the cylinder pressures or revs i'll eventually be running at, not with anything resembling a decent plug gap.

i'll now be running the m&w pro12 cdi unit with honda cbr coil on plugs 8)

Originally i was going to use a different ecu to what i have now and would've needed a crank trigger and cam phase sensor to run fully sequential, which tbh, i couldn't be bothered with, annoying thing now is with the motec i could be running full sequential ignition and injection for only slightly more money (different cdi required)

what i have will be more than up to the job so im not going to lose any sleep over it now tbh.
I am thinking about going similar route with the AEM but it seams a lot more cost although you do have a more precise ignition.

For crank trigger can you not just use the CAS disc as i thought it was a 24 & 1 pick up??? :?

J

jpward

noriek2003 said:
i'll be using the cbr coils ;-) they are the bollox, proven on 1000bhp + cars, no spark drop out at high rpm, will still give a spark at lots of boost, cheap aswell if you find them in the right place 8)

the cdi unit i have will only fire 4 coils, regardless on whether they are on the plug or not as wasted spark. (as ed pointed out, of the paired cylinders, 1 fires on intake, 1 on exhaust) I chose the pro 12 as the ecu i was planning on getting required lots of messing about to run sequential (crank trigger, cam phase sensor). With the motec its alot less hassle :doh: so could've gone with the pro14 that would then run sequential, but never mind, it'll do :lol:

Yeah you could say i know someone who has a drawer full of them but thats the easy bit to get its the CDI and wiring+setup thats the costly bit :sad:

noriek2003

in regards to it being to much hassle to run dizzyless, if you look at the cost of renewing everything nissan, adding uprated coils, leads and then still having spark problems, i'd say a cdi unit or standalone dizzyless set up is a worthwhile option.

but then again im a spec list parts whore... :lol:

noriek2003

jpward said:
For crank trigger can you not just use the CAS disc as i thought it was a 24 & 1 pick up??? :?
yeah, with the motec i have alot more options but theres no real point getting rid of the pro12 now. Half the reason my dumb car still isn't finished is because i kept chopping and changing my mind, getting rid of stuff i decided i didn't want etc.etc..

its a costly way of doing things :doh: :lol:

i was looking through some piccies of my build and it like i've done 3 cars :doh::lol: on the downward slope now though 8)

J

jpward

tenfoloten said:
I think you do the draw..
sorry
No no :lol:

No harm done as I am paying I wanted to agree the final dimentions accounting for everything!

Look at the AEM site and you will see their rails thats what it will look like ;-)

noriek2003

jpward said:
its the CDI and wiring+setup thats the costly bit :sad:
the m&w stuff is pretty easy to set up aslong as you have an ecu that will trigger it, 2 wires for each coil, 12v from the battery, a ground, trigger from the ecu and a switched 12v. Probably something else i've forgotten but the manuals and drawings are good.

tec automotive do a unit that is independant of any ecu

Last edited:

steve963

well I feel like a c**t now, cause I know f'all about this stuff, well in this much detail anyway

good luck lads, Steve963 dipping out...!