Raising the compression?

STU666V

Braveheart said:
I have seen this kit car in the flesh... it's absolute mint condition!
Stu... can't beleive you're sell your kit car to fuel your GTiR race car.
Thought you and your dad would have enjoyed that for many years to come.
Why not buy a buggered engine and upgrade to forged, you can sell your second engine now to help pay for the naff engine and upgrades and continue to run your R as is then when you have finished and fitted the forged engine, sell your original if need be.
I know you will still have to find 2K for a quaife but you will have maybe a year to save up for that.... It's not a cheap hobby/sport as I have also discovered.
I your maybe right? I have a spare 6K but i was going to buy a other jeep with that?
Think i will strip the old engine i have and re-build that? Keep the standard engine in my blue race car until she blows :lol:
What's an other year, Think i might piss in the Evos petrol tanks when they are not looking :thumbsup:
Ok i will keep a look out for engine parts now, Agra can do the reboring and skimming i would think? Might look at the USA for parts as £1 is almost $2
Cheers lads

Jonesy

Ok cheers for the input, been out in the car again today, i reckon its getting worse harder to select gears all the time now, but it definitley gets worse once the car has been sitting in traffic.
Either way its going to be an engine out job for a look. Havn't really got time for that just now, hopefully it holds up for a bit longer.

red reading

warped clutch plate,causing the clutch to drag when hot,had this on a car before,got worse the more the clutch was used in traffic worth thinking about

Braveheart

Not good news Ian if it's clutch/ fork related or gearbox.
The RPS clutch does get a lot of bad press due to the heavy loads required to disingage.
I have one fitted to and hope it does not raise it's ugly head.
It may have been wishful thinking to sugest gear linkage or engine mounts.
Just what you need ah... don't let Jim pinch any of your bits if he gives you a hand... lol

Jonesy

I know its a bit of pain in the ar*e, never mind though. It would have been good if it was somthing as simple as a linkage problem.
The RPS does seem far to heavy, might try one of the group buy clutches if required.
My dad has had his eyes on my down pipe lately, ill make sure it doesnt go missing :lol:

gunmetalgtir

There's the problem right there, you've got an RPS clutch. Worst clutch out there for the GTI-R.

I had exactly the same problem on my last R, it'll be a warped clutch disc.

Jonesy

The RPS was on the car when i bought it, ive noticed its got a bad name for its self lately. As i said before the pedal does seem far to heavy compared to other clutch's ive had. Hopefully it is just the clutch and not the box, soon find out.

P

pulsarboby

the clutch being warped will not cause the problem you have!
if warped you will have very bad clutch judder on take up, but thats not the problem here.
have you tried adjusting that pedal yet? adjust it to the point where the bolt is almost out, or even take the bolt out altogether so you have max travel on the clutch.

if that doesnt work, then the problem is more than likely a worn synchro or selector (in box), or possibly bent clutch release bearing fork or pedalbox (clutch) has either broke or is bent so you are not getting full pedal movement to disengage clutch from engine

Jonesy

I've not got round to adjusting it yet, will try that first though. The clutch pedal has started creaking a bit latley not a good sign. Can it still break away with the support bracket fitted.

P

pulsarboby

answer in one, is yes! ive seen 2 break with the support bracket fitted.
whether they were fitted too late or not is another story.
the clutch support brackets will help avoid the pedal box from breaking but by no means will they render it unbreakable (merely a strenghening aid) as im sure mr pudney will varify!

gunmetalgtir

pulsarboby said:
if that doesnt work, then the problem is more than likely a worn synchro or selector (in box), or possibly bent clutch release bearing fork or pedalbox (clutch) has either broke or is bent so you are not getting full pedal movement to disengage clutch from engine
Bob would this not give him the problem all the time though and not just when his car is warmed up??

These are exactly the same syptoms I had in my Grey R, and when I pulled the clutch out the disc was warped and the release bearing was broke so that's why I would put it down to one of these 2.

Best thing to do Jonesy is rip that clutch out and put a better one in!!!

P

pulsarboby

broken or damaged release bearing, yes! but warped clutch no!

as you say though grant, if he discovers that the clutch fork is moving to its max travel, ie working correctly, then the problem would need gearbox removal to gain further investigation.

but what im saying is, that before you start ripping things apart, make sure its nothing simple like pedal bracket or pedal adjustment, or clutch release fork 'all these things are known problem areas' so how gutted would you feel if you ripped all that apart, spent loads of wedge, put it back together again, and problem was still there!

always eliminate simple things first!

yes, the problem will still be magnified when hot, as all clearances are smaller, only takes 1mm bent fork or damage on pedal box to equate to an extra 1/2' pedal movement, when clutch is hot!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonesy

I'll try adjusting it and check out the simple fault areas first and if all else fails take it apart and have a look.
Cheers for the help

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
what im saying is, that before you start ripping things apart, make sure its nothing simple like pedal bracket or pedal adjustment, or clutch release fork 'all these things are known problem areas' so how gutted would you feel if you ripped all that apart, spent loads of wedge, put it back together again, and problem was still there!

always eliminate simple things first!
I agree with bob on that one. :-o ;-)

I’ve bent the fork (x3) the clutch frame (with support bracket) and even broken the retainers that hold the springs in place on the clutch.
I’d certainly not call it the worse clutch by any means, but the heaviness is what lets them down and causes these problems. I’ve welded most parts up to strengthen my transmission, but there again I drive like a fool and think I have the gearbox of a WRC car! :der:

I’d be very surprised if it was a warped clutch too

gtirjoey

hello mate i am a mechanic and again no expert on transmission jus experiance i would say the problem lies with your clutch system

Jonesy

What symptons would old clutch fluid, with moisture in it show, could that be temperature related. Just another idea not ruled the rest out yet

P

pulsarboby

tbh i dont think the temp is gonna affect the fluid as clutch fluid does not get hot
but! it could affect pedal travel and biting point, in other words clutch may be fine when cold but when hot and clearances are smaller then a bit of fluid contamination could possibly cause a problem.
so i would change it anyway as its only a 10 minute job.