Raising the compression?

rx jamie

did you not contact the recovery place and ask them to foot the bill? as they should always check what drive layout a car is before towing it.

P

pulsarboby

ok more info! i gave tom another transferbox after he told me what had happened to his car ie being towed with 2 wheels off the deck:doh:
but as i said to you tom it could have also damaged the diff in the gearboxbox or the rear diff, but all you could do is try fitting the replacement transferbox and see what happens.
are you 100% sure you never accidentally fitted your old transferbox back in (got them muddled up) if not then its more than likely that one of the other diffs is boogered as already pointed out.
and you should have reported this to the company that towed your vehicle as they should never have done that, by doing so they have without doubt boogered your car.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
They should have insurance for exactly this kind of thing anyway, so they'd just be making a claim.

Fusion Ed

Agree, the centre diff is most likely shafted. Either way it would have got very very hot from that, there is so much that could have been broken by that kind of abuse.

P

pulsarboby

just read the original post again and there is another possibility here, that being the clutch drive plate is breaking up, have just got a car in which has the same kind of symptoms but ive not dropped the box on it yet to see!
did you happen to launch it when this prob appeared? be honest!

PulsarTom

Bob honestly i never launched the car, i was taking out a lady friend and she doesnt like irratic driving so i was driving like a saint all night!! Only launched the car once since back on road the other week. Yeah definately put the diff that i got from you on the car, as old tranferbox was taken away soon as it came off of car so defo new diff in there!! I dont know what to do?!

PulsarTom

tom, how far did the foookin idiots tow it, my guess would be the rear diff is at fault.

roughly two miles, then the bloke took for ages getting a low loader!! i werent with the car at the time!! when i found out i just left it as car was fooked anyway!! im going to ring them

PulsarTom

ive just rang them, ive gota ring them on monday to speak to a manager, but im going to go mad if they deny it!! see what they say monday morning and go from there!

P

pulsarboby

if he took for ages getting a low loader then did he not put it on a low loader when he arrived?
or do you mean a spec lift?
its also unusual that they will take a car unless there is someone with it, mainly being the owner!

they can be sued for damages to bodywork etc if the owner is not present on collection of vehicle, so its a very unusual thing to happen!

the only instance i know of when this rule differs is if the car is illegally parked or has no tax or is causing an obstruction but even then they will take photos of the vehicle (any marks or dinks) prior to loading it on truck, and this is done purely for the reason that the owner is not present and they dont want to be sued for damage which has already been sustained to any vehicle!

Last edited by a moderator:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
In cases like that, don't they normally cradle the car and lift it straight onto the tray?
If the car was left; locked; in-gear; with the handbake on; then you can't really tow it away.

PulsarTom

I was there when the tow truck turned up, as my friends clio clutch went at same time, so they sent a low loader and another truck, i went with a friend on ahead and got a phone call from my other mate in the low loader saying that my cars been towed for two miles then dropped off on side of road as the only low loader they had was what my mate was on, so as soon as they dropped him off they went back and recovered my car that was two miles on down the road.

PulsarTom

What is this foofoovalve? Ive spoken to bobby, and he knows more aboutt his and he reckons it could be gearbox, shall i just replace the transferbox again and see what it does? hopefully its not my gearbox, cars costing me a fortune, just fitted new clutch, turbo, engine, trasnfer box!! lol Also my friend (mechanic) jacked the rear of the car up, and disconnected the rear diff from propshaft, he managed to spin the wheels from there? If the rear diff was fooked then could this happen, or would it need to be under load? thanks for all advice and especially to Bobby!!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
What is this foofoovalve?
Tom

it's a very delicate peice of machinary painted with a single coat of security paint, if you don't know about it I'm not going to tell you where to find it, you don't need any more R' trouble. Anyway, you need to have the right tools and knowledge before you even attempt to adjust it.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

what happened regarding phoning the rac and the contractor that towed the car in initially?

as i said it could be any one of the diffs thats boogered although i doubt if the diff in transfer was to blame as you replaced that with the one i gave you and its highly unlikely to get another with a knackered diff.

btw steves wrong about the foofoo valve (please get facts right steve when giving out info:der:) as the part your talking about is the kakki pin which is only fitted to models running in excess of a bar boost
the ff valve is something that you should not be touching unless you have the appropriate equipment to mess with it

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sh!t! - now you tell me!?
I was fiddling with mine the other day, no wonder the wishbone bent!

PulsarTom

Lol rac havent got back to me yet bobby, will be ringing them again tomorrow!! Okay guys i know not to touch anything anyway as im useless with mechanical work!! I will keep you updated bob!

D

dan-dan

Quick question...i hope!!!

My mates got a pulsar and he had to take the engine out to change the transfer box, hes put the engine and everything back in and now the car wont start. now i have had a look for him as well, i checked all the fuses all ok. we have got fuel to the engine but i found there was no spark at the plugs or coming from the coil. also the check light for the engine is staying lite up while cranking, i havent done a fault code check yet as i have only just say how to do it on here. just wundering has the car got a inihbit switch or any thing like that? or something simple he might of caught on the way out? also checked all the plugs he took off and all seem to be on

thanks in advance.:thumbsup: