Racing the Pulsar

vss irvine

well done that man, 1st next year is a must phil!

i think the oc should organise some sponsorship to help you along!!

id spare a few nuggets for the cause!

GTiR-Aholic

Nice one Phil! I reallly want to race as well, take my R on the track and see what me and her can do together.

Keep it up dude, and like VSS Irvine said, 1st next year!! :D

STU666V

Yep, well done that man :thumbsup:You will get 1st next year!!
Just stay of the brake a bit more? ;-)
Well done

bracpan

well done that man, 1st next year is a must phil!

i think the oc should organise some sponsorship to help you along!!

id spare a few nuggets for the cause!

That would be a dream, but not holding out much hope these days with the economic climate.
Will be spending quiet a bit this winter to get the engine done so hope I have enough left for next years entree's
Good luck Jon on Christmas, hope you get a good result and trouble free run.
Thanks again for all your support
Phil

antgtir

Top man. Looks like the hard development work is paying off Phil, hopefully with a new engine build in plae you will be coming consistently first in class.

Keep us informed on how things develop.

Oh and whats on the menu? roast turkey?

Ant.

Jon Olds

Mines out on the Christmas Stages this sunday, Croft 28th, and again (hopefully..) on the 18th Jan, Jack Frost Stages, Croft again.
Roller bearing turbo and loud mongoose on it this time

Jon Olds

30th O/all. Good event. Quality entry, loads spectators. BUT.... I have a prob with the cooling system I need your help with.

The radiator is getting pressurised when the engine runs. I know everybody is going to say 'its your head gasket mate' but
1. The compressions are all 180-190
2. It pulls like a train. ticks over
3. No oil.water mix probs

It did something similar after its first event, about 18 months ago. I took the head off, but the gasket looked fine.

I'm going to make a spark plug to airline adapter and pressurise each cyl at BDC/ both valves shut. Any obvious places to look for cracks? The car is unuseable until this is fixed, it was taking 1/2 gallon of water to refill the radiator.

Anybody been here before?????????????????????????? Have I got some plumbing wrong????????????????? Any help appreciated

bracpan

Jon
Good result well done.
As for the car I had a simular problems years ago with a head as it had a tiny pinhole in one chamber. But it also filled the one cylinder up with water once the engine stopped.
I would imagine you have done the obvious like bleeding it etc and as you said you have checked the gaskets.
Has the head been ported, because that was my problem as he had machined it to close to the water jacket.
Hope you sort it soon
Good luck
Phil

stumo

Jon,It does sound like you've got a problem with the gasket/crack in the head....unless you're getting a huge airlock in the system(i guess you know about the air bleed in the thermostst housing)...i'd put my money on the former.

The problem will be so small that it doesn't affect the cranking pressures but will allow the cooling system to be pressurised.

If you go to a motorfactors , they will do a head gasket tester, which you place where the rad cap goes. If you have a leak from the combustion chamber the fluid changes colour due to combustion gasses in the cooling system.

Jon Olds

Thanks guys, I must admit I had forgotten about bleeding the thermostat housing, do you think that will airlock the syste sufficiently to be a massive problem? (thats the problem, I am playing with VW's/pugs/bikes so my memory starts to go)
I will get a tester to check for CO/gas in the water. ebay? Any trade names to search for?
The head is ported, but just a home clean up.
I suspect a crack somewhere, opening when its hot, but I get bubbles even cold

stumo

I just put head gasket tester into epay and got this as the first one......http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Head-Gasket-Tester-Bt500-Cylinder-Leakage-Detector_W0QQitemZ130278362599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item130278362599&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1299%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

don't know if you'd get it cheaper at a motorfactors or not.

The colour goes from blue to yellow if there's any combustion gasses in the water.

If that's not the problem then a big air lock could be your problem, the water won't be circulating properly and will boil pretty quickly.(i still think it's a gasket/crack)

It could be a blocked rad...were there any cold areas???

or even a failed thermostat.

I think you need to start your own thread and keep Phils thread to his own car/ exploits.......

vss irvine

if it was a coolant bleeding issue then theres a good chance the car would have gone into limp mode anyway. if the water temp sensor detects no or little water it will retard ignition etc

sounds a bit more serious im afraid

Jon Olds

thanks all round. I apologise for stealing the thread. I think I have enough to make a start. When I get it to bits I will circulate the findings. Thanks also to bobby for his pm.