Plug and play Coil On plug upgrade - would this interest you?

Fusion Ed

Given how old these things are now, and how rubbish the standard ignition system is + the fact I now have an R of my own to actually develop stuff on without needing to borrow others for long periods of it time, I'm in the early stages of a COP ignition upgrade.

This would wire into the existing ECU and replace the truly ancient (only magneto ignition is older) style ignition that the pulsar has and bring it up to current specifications with the following advantages:

*No more HT leads
*No more misfires
*Approx 200hp/cyl capable
*'Proper' spark plug gaps
*No more messing about with rotor arms distributor caps.

Obviously this kind of stuff is available to after market ECUs but since problems can occur on cars running as little as 350bhp where after market ECUs are not necessary, I would see it as being useful to all.

I've calculated that prices would be around £400 including brand new coil packs, but members and early adopters would get a decent discount.

My aim was to make it truly DIY plug and play, but since OEM plugs on the existing RNN14 Looms are so hard to find, it may involve some minor wiring into the existing loom, alternatively owners could bring their car to Fusion for the upgrade.

I'd be interested to know how many of you would be interested. I'm awaiting some parts, but hope to have my R running on this within a week or two.

Fusion Ed

Danny yours is dead easy & entirely different as you don't have OEM ECU. There isn't actually any development needed for yours just the wiring, as your ECU supports it directly + we know it will work!

This is for people who are stock ecu, and most likely going to stay that way!

red reading

Sensauma ed?

i'm just getting impatient as per usual!

£400 these lads need a bit more detail as the price is very good for what they will be getting, better fuel econ, better drivability, more reliable etc etc

I'd be very interested. Then I can run a Delphi Ion sensing coil pack on cylinder 4 to use with my Uni project :)
Ypu'd be interested in that Ed when your mapping an ECU on the rollers.... I have designed a circuit and software to 'see' whats going on inside the cylinder using Ion sensing. Trouble is I had to build an external PSU as the pusar doesn't have individual coil packs.....until now anyways :)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm definitely interested, but I suspect the cost is going to mean it's another one of those things on my list for when I win the lottery. :lol:

Fusion Ed

Plan is to be around £300+coils. Just waiting for some connectors to arrive then I can make a test loom! Coils fit nice and snug though!