Mallory Performance ignition systems

A

AJ4

basically what I just said, but my explanation can be understood by 99% of the board :lol: You've never been a teacher, have you ? :D:D:D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
AJ4 said:
basically what I just said, but my explanation can be understood by 99% of the board :lol: You've never been a teacher, have you ? :D:D:D
Do you honestly believe 99% of the board understood what you said :shock: :lol: :lol:

A

AJ4

Yes, Ed is perfectly correct in what he said, but I guarantee that over 90% of the board dont understand what 'source impedance' means.

Just like for you and suspension, you say one sentence and it goes straight over me ( and most peoples ) heads ! Sometimes the most technically articulate and accurate answer isn't the correct one for the desired audience.

Do you know how thunder and lightning works ? You first get told that God claps his hands. Then you learn its clouds rubbing together that produces static. Then you learn that its ice crystal being ripped apart in the clouds that causes it. Then you learn its actually the potential difference between the top and the bottom of the cloud caused by the hot / cold air boundary. Just when you think you know all about it then you find out that the sum of potential energy in the cloud is nowhere near enough to ionise gas and start the path to ground, and the strike is actually instigated by a high energy sub atomic particle from outer space that starts and avalanche of electrons at the top of the cloud, and the charge starts at the ground and travels up to meet the cloud in the form of a leader.....

4 years olds can understand God clapping his hands, but are otherwise lost on sub atomic particles from outer space theory :D

A

AJ4

the point is, if you have some good knowledge on a subject, we should collectively help other people who dont undertand it as well instead of every thread turning into a pissing contest about who knows the most.

Hopefully some of you guys will be able to help me on the suspension side of things in words I can understand as I'm totally clueless :oops:

lets all have a :grouphug: now :D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Touchy today aren't we ross :thumbsup:

Don't worry, I'm under no illusion most people understand what I'm saying but the forum seems to tolerate my ramblings :oops: :lol: :lol:

I was only joking about 99% of the forum understanding about electrons passing along the skin off the wire, I understood perfectly but most would probably prefer your beer analogy :-D

Anyway, matey, no pissing contest as far as I was concerned, sorry if it seemed that way

:grouphug:

A

AJ4

lol, sorry Jim, it wasn't meant at you ! :D

It was Ed, everytime I post anything remotely electrical now he has to 'top trump' me with a more technical or accurate answer. Nothing wrong with what he's saying, just that sometimes you have to dumb things down so people people who dont understand can get a grasp of what your talking about. He's absolutely correct in what he said, just it wouldn't have been understood by most people, thats all. I wasn't having a go at anyone, I totally respect any views / comments he has on electronics as much as I respect anything you say with regards to suspension.

Just in your case, I dont understand any of it :D:D:D

A

AJ4

dont laugh, one of these days your going to explain 'the advantage of rose jointed top mounts and the effect on camber' to me ;) :lol:

F

Fusion Ed

Sorry AJ4. Im always MORE THAN happy to totally explain ANYTHING I talk about if people have a question. I see lots of cases where people try to simplify things to do with mechanics/electronics and miss out a fundemental aspect, which will totally lead them down the wrong path. The kind of snowball effect of 'pub talk' that decends in to nonsense..

Dont take it personally!! My sole intention is to add to the thread not to show up anyone else!

ChrisS

Just a thought to simplyfy the whole thing but what plugs are you using jim? For example, the spark on s40i's blows out a lot easier on higher boosts than s45i's.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
ChrisS said:
Just a thought to simplyfy the whole thing but what plugs are you using jim? For example, the spark on s40i's blows out a lot easier on higher boosts than s45i's.
I'm using the Denso IK27, these are the same heat range as the S45i, in fact I think there the ones that HKS re badge to the HKS S45i.

Ed, you asked me what plugs I had in the other day didn't you, you mentioned your prefered plug, racing 9's wasn't it ?

Steve

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Oooh back on topic, thanks gents 8) :-D

I'm using Grade 9 Iridium NGK's. I'm afraid I don't understand the denso and HKS plug grades to comment. I believe these are about the right plug for 400-450hp.

I've always used Denso or NGK's on my Jap car's and found them both very good. I went for the NGK iridium as I couldn't get any platinum plugs and I wanted the longevity of the NGK's oh and I didn't know what I was looking at with the Denso's :oops: :lol:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Jim please excuse for butting in here mate but I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on my question.

Heres the wiring diagram for the MSD Ignition box, all fairly straight forward apart from the white wire. I assume the part labeled Amp ??? in the 3rd picture is the OEM Amplifier, does that stay conected ?? and I take a feed from the positive side (anyone know which wire that might be) or do we loose the OEM Amplifier ??

I will obviously be using the SS Blaster coil instead of the OEM coil.

Attachments

Last edited:

stumo

Steve, i'll have a look to see if i still have my instructions....(i'll kick myself if i don't)

I think the white is one of the trigger wires as that's the one you ground out when you want to test the system.